Your favorite character revamps

Ron Simmons

• Paid Members

Some wrestlers, after playing the same character for years, make a sudden change in character and suddenly shock you with how great they are, or can be. Best example for me is JBL. I hated his solo run with Bradshaw, and the APA didn't hook me much either. But as soon as he donned that cowboy hat and suit he became one of my favorite ever WWE heels. The JBL era on Smackdown's one of my favorite champion eras ever. He made that show.

I've also really enjoyed the birth of "Bully Ray" in TNA. He's a character I've no doubt would have worked much better in WWE than the solo-run they gave Big Bubba. But he's one of the few reasons to watch TNA right now.

So what character revamps have you enjoyed in the past? They don't have to have been a success, or even lasted long.

• Paid Members
Some wrestlers, after playing the same character for years, make a sudden change in character and suddenly shock you with how great they are, or can be. Best example for me is JBL. I hated his solo run with Bradshaw, and the APA didn't hook me much either. But as soon as he donned that cowboy hat and suit he became one of my favorite ever WWE heels. The JBL era on Smackdown's one of my favorite champion eras ever. He made that show.

Although JBL grew on me as he went along and separated himself from shitty Orlando Jordan, I won't hear a word against the APA. I thought the way they splintered them away and gave them a new lease of life after being the Acolytes with a completely new gimmick was believable (as far as as wrestling is concerned) and they were great fun and used really well.

• Paid Members
Although JBL grew on me as he went along and separated himself from shitty Orlando Jordan, I won't hear a word against the APA. I thought the way they splintered them away and gave them a new lease of life after being the Acolytes with a completely new gimmick was believable (as far as as wrestling is concerned) and they were great fun and used really well.

I only really started watching WWE during the brand split era, so my exposure to the APA was during a time they were feuding with the Basham brothers and arranging bar room brawls featuring the Easter Bunny. They didn't have me turning the channel on anything like that, don't get me wrong, but I didn't particularly care for anything they did at that point.

Is Bully Ray really a complete character re-invention though? I've never seen much of ECW but from the stuff I've watched he was similar when he was with Devon. He's definately different and he is awesome, but I don't think he's really on the same level of Bradshaw to JBL level. Maybe he was I wasn't watching much TNA when he wasn't Bully Ray...

I still think my favourite might be The Stinger to Crow Sting.

• Paid Members
I still think my favourite might be The Stinger to Crow Sting.

Fucking this, all day long.

I also loved the change in Edge & Christian in 2000 from firery (in the ring, at least) babyfaces to whacky, wise-cracking costume-wearing comedy heels. Especially when they roped Kurt into the japes too.

• Paid Members

Cactus Jack into Mankind and back again,Hulk Hogan into Hollywood Hogan, Surfer Sting into Crow Sting, Scott Steiner into Big Poppa Pump and Rocky Maivia into The Rock are favourites of mine.

As far as worst ones go, Tazz into bin-man Tazz was terrible. Raven into fat Raven was a bad one. The Franchise into Norman Pace is up there. Diamond Dallas Page from the man who has legit been inside Kimberly Page to stalking the Undertaker's ugly wife was the worst ever.

• Paid Members

R-Truth used to be completely pointless. But then, 'Used'ta is a rooster from brewster.'

I was generally pretty indifferent to Jeff Jarrett in WWF, but then he got his hair cut, got pissed off a lot and started taking it out on women by wrapping guitars round their skulls. The Dudleys switching from tye-dye stuttery morons into powerbombing women through table obsessives was a good move too. I clearly enjoy a good bit of male on female violence it seems.

Another top example of someone being really a total nobody into a hugely over act like the JBL transformation would be Kama becoming the Godfather, in fact there's a whole bunch in the Attitude era. His mate Val Venis went the opposite way mind.

• Paid Members

A little of topic but that promo just before the Rumble when Mankind turns back into Cactus is just amazing.

HHH makes it by looking like he's genuinely about to shit himself because Foley has a different shirt on. Pure class.

Archived