UFC on Versus #5: 'Hardy vs Lytle' Discussion Thread

wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Bonuses were

Fight Of The Night - Lytle vs Hardy

Sub Of The Night - Lytle

KO Of The Night - Cerrone

$65,000 for each of them

I hope Bendo/Miller get a bit extra in their paycheck's aswell, that was my FOTN.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bonuses were

Fight Of The Night - Lytle vs Hardy

Sub Of The Night - Lytle

KO Of The Night - Cerrone

$65,000 for each of them

I hope Bendo/Miller get a bit extra in their paycheck's aswell, that was my FOTN.

Junkie reported that with the $130,000 bonus from tonight's show, Lytle's career bonus earnings are $515,000.

Fantastic show, the whole card (including the prelims) was great.

Lorenzo Fertitta has just tweeted:

Will not cut @danhardymma I like guys that WAR!!!

Didn't stop them cutting Jorge Gurgel, and whatever you may think about the tactics he employs, you can't deny that he doesn't always bring it.

JG was cut after a Fight of the Night loss to Aaron Riley (in what was an absolute corker) and it was only his second loss on the bounce. I can't see any reason how they cannot cut Hardy now; if they wanted to keep him he shouldn't have been matched with Lytle, and should've been given some can on the undercard.

• Paid Members
Didn't stop them cutting Jorge Gurgel, and whatever you may think about the tactics he employs, you can't deny that he doesn't always bring it.

JG was cut after a Fight of the Night loss to Aaron Riley (in what was an absolute corker) and it was only his second loss on the bounce. I can't see any reason how they cannot cut Hardy now; if they wanted to keep him he shouldn't have been matched with Lytle, and should've been given some can on the undercard.

They're in a posistion where they have places Dan Hardy as their number 2 British fighter and they cant afford to lose him, mainly because hes far more marketable than people like Ross Pearson or James Wilks but his record is letting him down. I can see them giving him a nothing fight for an easy win in his next fight (which is surely an all or nothing fight for him) Totally agree they really shouldnt of had him anywhere near Lytle while hes on such a losing streak

• Paid Members
Junkie reported that with the $130,000 bonus from tonight's show, Lytle's career bonus earnings are $515,000.

He's earned every single cent of that. Shame to see him go but he's doing it for the right reasons and that's commendable. Glad he got to go out with a bang. I've chimed in before that I think Lytle is deserving of a spot in the UFC HOF, and I hope Dana agrees. What a warrior.

They're in a posistion where they have places Dan Hardy as their number 2 British fighter and they cant afford to lose him, mainly because hes far more marketable than people like Ross Pearson or James Wilks but his record is letting him down.

I think Hardy will be around for a while. He's in the lucky position of serving up exciting fights and being a marketable British fighter. I've said numerous times that there is a place on the roster for guys who provide slugfests. Hardy may never be competing for a title again, but he provides stellar entertainment in a lower PPV slot and upper Fight Night slot.

I think Hardy will be around for a while. He's in the lucky position of serving up exciting fights and being a marketable British fighter. I've said numerous times that there is a place on the roster for guys who provide slugfests. Hardy may never be competing for a title again, but he provides stellar entertainment in a lower PPV slot and upper Fight Night slot.

I agree fully with that, and in the past have bought up Paul Taylor; never going to be in the title mix, but forging a nice career on the undercard, usually has good fights and has picked up his fair share of bonuses. I just can't see the point of keeping this type of fighter if they keep losing. I also thing that Brad Pickett has a legit shot at becoming the number two Brit in the UFC behind Bisping.

Hardy has said he isn't in a rush to get back to the octagon. I really expected him to win last night and was gutted for him after the fight. I think he needs to try a few different camps and not just stick with Roy Nelson. Nearly swallowed my Tongue when he went for the takedown.

• Paid Members

It's probably the biggest thing I miss about Pride. You're win loss record really wasn't a factor. You could go 0-8 but they'd still put you in fights. Gotta love that 'fighting spirit' mentality. Shungo Oyama was 1-5 and they just used to throw him in for slug fests. Same with Alexander Otsuka think he was on a 7 fight losing streak at one point

• Paid Members

^ harsh but sadly true. Although I don't think he's overrated now, I think most people realize now that he's fighting above his level.

Shame cause like everyone's said he is exciting to watch and he has a marketable look and can hype a fight better than most. He just really needs to make improvements in his game.

Wouldn't mind seeing Hardy fight Amir Sadollah or Matt Brown next to be honest. Both good fights and are probably more at Hardy's current level. If he lost to one of them (Amir's 6-3, Brown is 14-10) then he would have to be cut.

Fight of the night for me was Henderson vs Miller. Dan Hardy looked poor imo that take down that led to him going submitted was just awful

yeah agree with that, Henderson vs Miller was awesome. Miller got battered but there was always that threat of a submission which kept the interest. The fight's been a bit overshadowed by Lytle's retirement and stuff but a really good fight, one of the best the UFC has had this year for me. Amir/Ludwig was a cracker aswell.

It's probably the biggest thing I miss about Pride. You're win loss record really wasn't a factor. You could go 0-8 but they'd still put you in fights. Gotta love that 'fighting spirit' mentality. Shungo Oyama was 1-5 and they just used to throw him in for slug fests. Same with Alexander Otsuka think he was on a 7 fight losing streak at one point

Man, Oyama was a nutter. They just gave him monster after monster over there. Without even looking up his record I remember him being fed to Cro Cop, Hendo, Wanderlei and Manhoef in Japan.

^ harsh but sadly true. Although I don't think he's overrated now, I think most people realize now that he's fighting above his level.

Shame cause like everyone's said he is exciting to watch and he has a marketable look and can hype a fight better than most. He just really needs to make improvements in his game.

Wouldn't mind seeing Hardy fight Amir Sadollah or Matt Brown next to be honest. Both good fights and are probably more at Hardy's current level. If he lost to one of them (Amir's 6-3, Brown is 14-10) then he would have to be cut.

That wikipedia entry has probably been edited by some no-name MMA fighter from the UK that's lucky to even get tickets for a UFC show.

The simple truth is, UK fighters are going to face major problems at the very top level until the authorities bring in wrestling in schools & colleges. Until then, save for an athletic freak like GSP, we'll see our guys entertain but ultimately fail to make the very top level.

• Paid Members

i aint able to re-stream the prelims from sunday night, can anyone else do it? am i doing something wrong?

trying to avoid spoilers.

i aint able to re-stream the prelims from sunday night, can anyone else do it? am i doing something wrong?

trying to avoid spoilers.

• Paid Members
That wikipedia entry has probably been edited by some no-name MMA fighter from the UK that's lucky to even get tickets for a UFC show.

The simple truth is, UK fighters are going to face major problems at the very top level until the authorities bring in wrestling in schools & colleges. Until then, save for an athletic freak like GSP, we'll see our guys entertain but ultimately fail to make the very top level.

Just wondering do Brazil have wrestling in schools? I would have pictured doing Judo is a good way of learning wrestling in the UK. I can't think of many fighters from Brazil who wrestle but they do a martial art that includes takedowns and takedown defense.

Archived