Explanations of Nicknames

The Great Muta

Wrestling for me is all about the larger than life characters. To add something extra to a wrestler they sometimes get given a nickname to describe their character more clearly.

Normally they are self explanatory like Jake 'The Snake' Roberts, Bret 'The Hitman' Hart, and the Heart Break Kid Shawn Michaels. Sometimes though, I struggle to grasp what the nicknames are trying to describe.

Here are a few examples which I struggle with...

'The Game' HHH: Game as in what? Monopoly? Or is it Game as in what Hunters go after? I assume that this is referring to how dominant he is in the business and therefore personifies the whole 'game'...could be wrong though. How that goes hand in hand with looking like Sean Bean from Lord of the Rings is questionable though. (The Cerebral Assassin nickname is mint)

'Nature Boy' Ric Flair: I know that this nickname is iconic and now stuff of legend but I have always had a problem understanding what it's trying to say. Why would the character of an egotistical, millionaire playboy, have a nickname that would be better suited to somebody like David Attenborough?

(The Bionic Redneck) Stone Cold Steve Austin: The Rattlesnake I get, Stone Cold I get, Beer Swilling Redneck I get... but Bionic Redneck? Is he a cyborg or something? Suggestions please!

(The Brahma Bull) The Rock: Rock has awesome nicknames but I don't get this one. Yes I get the 'bull' bit and what it's suggesting but what the hell is Brahma?

There are a few more but I'll leave it there for now. If you can help me out with further explanations of these I would much appreciate it.

I also think it would be interesting to hear if anyone else has some suggestions of weird nicknames on here.

Haven't seen a post like this so thought it could be fun.

Discuss... :)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm constantly amazed by the amount of people stumped by Triple H's nickname. It's a fairly regular thing to claim ownership of, say, a whole sport as a boast isn't it?

So, someone says 'oh, you're pretty good at football you are...', to which a prick could reply 'good at football? I AM football!'

And, 'the game' is a fairly common generic phrase to describe anything. So 'wrestling' is The Game, and rather than just 'good at wrestling' he is wrestling.

'The Game' HHH: Game as in what? Monopoly? Or is it Game as in what Hunters go after? I assume that this is referring to how dominant he is in the business and therefore personifies the whole 'game'...could be wrong though.

Yeah, it all started with that angry promo he did with JR in 1999.

When referring to people "at the top of their game" and expressions like the WWF Title being "the biggest prize in the game", he claimed he is more important and above all those things. He IS the game.

Also, didn't Austin get some steel pins in his spine during his neck operation? That could tie in with being referred to as a Bionic Redneck.

Also, didn't Austin get some steel pins in his spine during his neck operation? That could tie in with being referred to as a Bionic Redneck.

Yeah I always thought 'Bionic Redneck' was a reference to Austin having been surgically 'rebuilt' like his namesake the '6-Million Dollar Man'. I'm quite sure that nickname wasn't used until he returned from his neck surgery towards the tail-end of 2000.

'The Game' is a boss nickname.

'Nature Boy' has always confused me as well, maybe one of the more historically knowledgable posters on the board could explain it's origin. I know Flair took the moniker from Buddy Landell who took it from Buddy Rogers before him. Did the two Buddys have flamboyant playboy gimmicks too? If so - what the fuck? Is it anything to do with the old Jazz song of the same name? You wouldn't necessarily think so from the lyrics - 'There was a boy, a very strange enchanted boy. They say he wandered very far.'

I always thought Brahma Bull was a quasi-religious thing, 'Brahman' being the name of the sacred cow of Hinduism. It doesn't explain why The Rock would refer to himself as one though, since his only flirtation with any kind of religious gimmick (until his weird references to God in some of his Cena promos this year) was the N.O.D, which obviously began as an allusion to the Nation of Islam.

Y2J has been a lame nickname since about the 2nd of January 2000. Jericho should've shifted to something else once the countdown entrance was no longer relevant.

• Moderators
I know Flair took the moniker from Buddy Landell

Other way around. Flair was Naitch before Landell had debuted as a wrestler. Landell is surprisingly young, to be honest. He's always looked about 60.

• Paid Members

Yep, Rogers took it from the song, which was big early in his career. I'm not sure if it was anything to do with the lyrics: it may just have been because the name sounded good as "Nature Boy Buddy Rogers"

• Paid Members
I always thought Brahma Bull was a quasi-religious thing, 'Brahman' being the name of the sacred cow of Hinduism. It doesn't explain why The Rock would refer to himself as one though, since his only flirtation with any kind of religious gimmick (until his weird references to God in some of his Cena promos this year) was the N.O.D, which obviously began as an allusion to the Nation of Islam.

Isn't it as basic as the fact he's had a Tattoo of a Brahma Bull on his arm for donkeys years? And he once referred to it in a promo?

Either that or it's because the Brahma Bull is one of the most impressive of bulls, as well as sounding cool. These cows are found all over America after being imported in from India

Archived