Explanations of Nicknames

The Great Muta

• Paid Members

Even the commentators acknowledge that 'One Man Rock Band' is a shit nickname, Cole is blatantly taking the piss out of it with the amount of gusto he puts into saying it every time.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One of the Ones I don't get is "Stone Cold" Steve Austin.

He is not Stone Cold, he is actually quite an emotional guy and bases all of his decisions on how he feels about someone/something. So does Stone Cold refer to something else other than his personality?

Before he became the beer-swilling redneck, he was meant to be more of a cold-blooded psycho sort of character., the sort of lad who'd have no qualms about killing you for looking at him funny.

didn't Austin want something along the line of Woddy Harleson's character, Mickey Knox, from Natural Born Killers. I seem to remeber reading thats why he went with the shaven head to copy the look of that character, and the 'Stone Cold' nickname was to reflect the personality

• Paid Members

He took the basis of the character from some film about a cold blooded serial killer, didn't think it wad NBK but that could make sense. He struggled with a moniker for a while before happening into 'Stone Cold' through a chance conversation with his at the time wife over (I think it was) a cold cuppa.

On the "Nature Boy" front - Nature Boys were a group in 1940s Los Angeles, that were pretty much early 'hippies'. They rocked the Jesus look and were supervegans who basically ate what they could forage naturally - raw fruit and berries etc. - the idea being to get back to nature and break free from society. The guy who wrote the song followed this philosophy, which is ironically almost the exact opposite of what it came to mean by the time the pro-wrestling gimmick had evolved and Ric Flair was using it while acting as a poster boy for capitalist excess.

Rogers was supposedly given the nickname by a promoter called Jack Pfefer, who I presume took it from the Nat King Cole cover of the song, which was a big hit in the late 40s. I guess he just liked the sound of it. The only logical reason I can see for it is the implication that Rogers was a "natural" gifted athlete/wrestler.

• Paid Members
I think if u start analysing wrestling too deep and take it all literally then you're in trouble :)

Nobody is taking anything "literally." No-one here actually thinks Steve Austin is a combination of nature and technology, the Rock has horns or Triple H comes complete with a set of dice.

Also, surely we're ALL in trouble for the very act of joining an internet forum to jibber-jabber on about wrestling to complete strangers?

Nobody is taking anything "literally." No-one here actually thinks Steve Austin is a combination of nature and technology, the Rock has horns or Triple H comes complete with a set of dice.

Also, surely we're ALL in trouble for the very act of joining an internet forum to jibber-jabber on about wrestling to complete strangers?

Yeah but screw it :)

I accepted my fate long ago that I am a wrestling nerd...

Wrestling fandom is no different than anything else when you boil it all down. You could point to a football enthusiast as 'in trouble' theoretically when they know the ins and outs of the Argentinian leagues for example.

Like it or not we are all fans of wrestling and know a great deal about it. Coming online to discuss it with like minded people in a impersonal way is a great way to while away a few minutes in your day.

Anyways... I got a few more for discussion.

The Big Boss Man: My first ever favourite when I started watching. I think 'Cops' was my favourite TV programme before I discovered wrestling so I loved seeing a 'cop' :) ... 'Big Boss Man' though? Loved the music and nightstick twirling though!

'Superfly' Jimmy Snuka: As in house fly? Jimmy Snuka was cool and of course as a kid you never question it but as an adult...'Super' Fly? discuss.

Razor Ramone: I know it was the Scarface gimmick and loved the 'Chico' and 'Bad Guy' stuff but why 'Razor'? ...Scott Hall didn't shave...Was that a gang type name? Plus when I was younger I thought that the Razor Ramone symbol was an old fashioned telephone :) Can anyone clear this up for me...

Just a few more for discussion :)

As I say I accepted them back then but I think that they can be put under some scrutiny.

What do you guys think?

• Paid Members

"Razor" seemed pretty straight foward. He used to quite eloquently explain to his opponents that "the Razor will carve you up."

"Boss Man" I never understood as a child but as I think about it now, it makes sense as in prison lingo. Like, if he was the warden/Mr Makaay of his wing or something. One of the other screws grabs a con to take him to Bubba for interegation, you can imagine all the other prisoners drawling "he goin' tae see tha Boss Man!" or similar.

In fact, Ray is probably extracting some information from a snitch right now.

Archived