UFC 134: Silva vs Okami Discussion thread

wandshogun09

Surprised this topic hasn't gotten more discussion considering it's just around the corner. On paper, it looks like the UFC stacked the main card and chucked any old Brazilians on the prelims. Palharas vs Miller is the only appealing fight I see there. Definitely a card made to be viewed on the big screens at the pub. Does anyone give Okami a chance in hell here?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Surprised this topic hasn't gotten more discussion considering it's just around the corner. On paper, it looks like the UFC stacked the main card and chucked any old Brazilians on the prelims. Palharas vs Miller is the only appealing fight I see there. Definitely a card made to be viewed on the big screens at the pub. Does anyone give Okami a chance in hell here?

Okami is rightfully the underdog, but he has a decent chance.

He is a solid wrestler so he could use the Sonnen gameplan, he also has better submission defence than Sonnen. I do favor Silva to keep it standing and win, but Okami winning wouldn't shock me.

• Paid Members

I give Okami a chance on paper. The formula to beating Anderson is apparent and I think Okami can out do Sonnen in that respect and probably avoid sub attempts better. With that said I think were gonna see Anderson really put on a show for the home crowd and blast through Okami with ease.

Hoping Griffin can out muscle and grind down Shogun much like their first fight. I'd like to say Nog beats Schaub too, but I think the lay off will be too much.

Excited much?

• Paid Members
I give Okami a chance on paper. The formula to beating Anderson is apparent and I think Okami can out do Sonnen in that respect and probably avoid sub attempts better. With that said I think were gonna see Anderson really put on a show for the home crowd and blast through Okami with ease.

Hoping Griffin can out muscle and grind down Shogun much like their first fight. I'd like to say Nog beats Schaub too, but I think the lay off will be too much.

Excited much?

Really, you think? That's a bit much IMO, he's bound to lose sooner or later but I'm assuming you're basing this on Sonnen nearly getting a decision? If that's the case, knowing what we now know I don't think you're giving Anderson enough credit. He could have legitimately pulled out of that fight with his injury (especially considering recent drop-outs), not to mention Sonnen being full of PED's for the bout. A healthy Silva against a clean opponent is a different thing altogether.

• Paid Members
Really, you think? That's a bit much IMO, he's bound to lose sooner or later but I'm assuming you're basing this on Sonnen nearly getting a decision? If that's the case, knowing what we now know I don't think you're giving Anderson enough credit. He could have legitimately pulled out of that fight with his injury (especially considering recent drop-outs), not to mention Sonnen being full of PED's for the bout. A healthy Silva against a clean opponent is a different thing altogether.

The back end of my post indicates that I think Silva will win comfortably. Thats not giving him enough credit? Maybe 'apparent' was too strong of a word.

My point was that I feel the best way to Beat him is via the Sonnen route. We have never seen Anderson in a position like he was. Like you say he may get caught and KO'd sooner or later, but in the meantime, 'Doing a Chael' seems the most effective way of trying to deal with him.

• Paid Members

I deffo think that's what Okami will try to do. Given Sonnen's come the closest I reckon that'll be most peoples game-plan but IMO that's what makes Silva such an exciting fighter (and why he's the best in the world), he's seemingly got an answer for everything. I can't wait for Silva/Sonnen 2 as I'm pretty sure that Silva will make an example out of him.

• Paid Members

Watching the countdown show, it's unbelievable how much air time Chael gets. You may occasionally get cameos from some associated fighters, but Sonnen gets quite a bit of camera time, using it to continually to badmouth Anderson as always :)

• Paid Members

i think the key against Silva is to not give him too much respect, that's pretty much what Sonnen did and it worked. If you stand on the outside, hesitant and worrying about what he's going to do he'll fucking destroy you so i think Okami needs to get in there use his strength and weigh on Silva, pressure him and get in his face. Do i think Okami will win? no, but i think he's gonna have some success because he doesn't seem like the kinda guy that's going to be intimidated.

I really hope Nogueira comes back in shape too, if he rolls back the years to defeat Schaub i think i might shit myself. It's been depressing to see some of the Pride guys fail in the US and no more than Big Nog. They are saying the year and half lay off has led to him being in the best shape he's been in years but i aint buying that until i see him in the cage on Saturday night. Fucking war Nog!!

I'm one of the few people backing Nog to win, it may be my heart ruling my head but I think over the course of 3 rounds he can get Schaub down and submit him. The long lay off is a worry and his chin is in question but I'm hoping he pulls it off. I still don't rate Schaub too highly and if he does win this i'd like to see him put back in there with Nelson or maybe Mitrione.

I seriously can't wait for this, the 3 top fights have me really excited and I'm looking forward to seeing Barboza and Palhares, I hope they both pick up wins.

• Paid Members

Chael Sonnen might not be attending this one afterall. One of Okami's Brazilian sponsors is threatening to pull their sponsorship if he's there and Chael's claiming Brazil's police are threatening to arrest him if he shows up for the comments he's made about the country :laugh: proper Gangster

• Paid Members

Gotta echo everyone else, can't wait for Saturday.

Although I've got a bad feeling I'm not gonna like the outcomes of some of the fights. I'm predicting Anderson by KO/TKO round 3 or 4, Griffin by decision and Schaub by 2nd round KO/TKO :(

I'm really hoping Shogun gets a good KO though. Forrest's not unknockoutable as he's shown before and Shogun's looking in great shape and the reports are he's trained harder than ever for this one. Still, since the fight was announced I've thought Forrest is winning this using his size to wear on Shogun and outwork him over 3 rounds. Should be a good fight though.

Nog is the big question mark for me. He came in lighter for Randy and Cain and looked better physically and it paid off vs Randy. Cain was just too fast and explossive for him. If he's on for this he could well win, I've always felt Schaub is nothing special. Then again Nog's chin is faded and Schaub has the wrestling to keep it standing so it's a tough style fight for Nog. Ring rust could fuck Nog up too.

Archived