UFC 134: Silva vs Okami Discussion thread

wandshogun09

• Paid Members

few thoughts...

* Loved the crowd, it was crazy how they didnt react to anything done by a foreign fighter. I don't think ive ever seen such a muted response to a KO than the Nedkov KO, haha.

* Speaking of Nedkov, he looked awful. He just threw one punch all night but it was fucking landing!! How Luis Cane was getting hit by that i'll never know. Still Nedkov won the fucker but i don't see him ever mounting to anything in the division. Cane's about done if you ask me.

* Big fucking Nog! That was trememdous, when i'd watch Nog before i'd always have faith in his chin but not on Saturday i just expected Schaub to drop Nog at any second. When he landed that one-two i shit my pants. Great stuff. Surpassed the Ortiz win over Bader for me simply because ive always loved Big Nog. Brilliant.

* Barboza/Pearson was a good stand-up fight. Always great to see two technical guys go at it, makes a refreshing change from one-trick ponies like Nedkov. Pearson's got a f'n chin.

* Anderson Silva is ridiculous. I think Okami's will was broken from the moment Anderson landed that headkick at the end of round 1. Okami was gone after that. It almost seemed like he quit, he went down and basically waiting for the fight to be stopped. Another amazing performance, not so much on what he did but just how he made a really good figher look mediocre. He's cleaned out division.

* Shogun/Griffin was abit anti-climatic, it was kinda Wanderlei/Leben where your hoping for some kind of war but then it ends prematurely. With everything about Griffin's baby you have to think if he was really up for it, if he wasn't it cost him cause Shogun battered him. Still, the fight doesn't answer any questions about Shogun's condition so i'll reserve any judgement on if 'he's back' until he's dragged into the later rounds. Still it's nice to see him be aggressive.

* Palhares/Miller round 1 was one of the classic MMA rounds, absolute madness. Understandable how the pace dropped after that but still a memorable fight. Palhares at full pelt is unstoppable.

* Am i right in thinking that there wasn't one submission attempt in one fight on the main card?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can see Sonnen making no attempt to stand and trade with Stann for any longer than is absolutely necessary. He will then take him down and start throwing them punches.

Exactly. I can't actually think of a better wrestler in the game at present besides GSP than Sonnen. I'll stick with my prediction of a one-sided beatdown from Sonnen, resulting in a unaninous decision and a titleshot with Anderson.

Great, but short night of MMA action. It proved beyond all doubt though that the pecking order goes like this:

Anderson Silva

|

|

|

|

The rest of the world

He made Okami look like a scrub from the minor leagues. The fact that he stood in front of Okami with his hands down for about 30 seconds exemplifies that. I know this will make me sound bloodthirsty, but I would have liked a more brutal, spectacular finish for the Brazilian fans.

The other fights- Hopefully they put together a Shogun-Griffin rubber match, Griffin's head was not in the game, he was catatonic, and that's the worst situation to have against a motivated Shogun.

Great win for Big Nog, but I think it says more about Schaub being overrated than it does about Nog being able to make a serious run in the division.

Nedkov is brutal but predictable. I think whoever he faces next will just wrestle fuck him to the mat. Crushing loss for Cane, one more loss and he's surely done.

Barboza vs Pearson was good, but kinda got default FOTN when all the other main card fights were quick finishes. I missed Palhares vs Miller, but apparently that was a better candidate.

Very strange that there was very little, if any jujitsu displayed on a Brazilian card. That said, the fans had no patience, I was viewing the prelims on Facebook and the fans booed like crazy whenever a fight spent 5 seconds on the ground.

• Paid Members
Did anyone else who predicted Schaub take one look at Big Nog walking to the cage and think "oh fuck, I think I got this one wrong"? He had this look on him. He was WAAAAAY up for it

haha Nog looked possessed. I still had a bad feeling about it but he looked proper motivated and it was great to see a rare KO from him. Wouldn't mind seeing him fight winner of Cro Cop/Nelson.

This is maybe strange to say, but I didn't actually enjoy the card that much. It was decent, of course, but everything was over so quickly it felt like there wasn't that much actual fighting on the main card.

Yeah there wasn't really that one killer fight on the main card but for me it will be one of my favourites just for the Nog and Shogun underdog wins.

• Paid Members
Stann would TKO him someone to knock the shit outta Leben and Santiago that quickly If Sonnen even thinks of standing with Stann hes fucked it.

Sonnens not stupid enough to stand with Stann. I like Stann but he's so overrated since his last 2 fights. Standing throwing bombs is his style so of course he'll look good when someone is willing to do the same. Sonnen won't be and Stann's always had problems with wrestlers. It wasn't long ago he was getting chucked about by Rodney Wallace and barely squeaked out a points win (yes he struggled with Rodney Wallace).

As for a fight with Anderson, I don't see what Stann can bring that Belfort, Okami, Griffin, Hendo, Franklin, Marquardt, Leben etc couldn't. Stann has a punchers chance and nowt more imo.

I think Stann/Sonnen will look like a re-run of Sonnen/Marquardt. Sonnen's GnP was fucking brutal in that fight and I can see him overwhelming Stann for 15 mins and bloodying him up.

I hear that Forrest Griffin ran out of the cage following his loss to Shogun, just like he did against Anderson Silva. Does anyone else wonder why he's such a fan favourite? Every time I hear him interviewed he comes across as a right cock, and he's obviously not a sporting loser either.

I don't quite get the love for Forrest Griffin.

• Paid Members

don't forget crying and whimpering after Jardine battered him aswell. Yeah Forrest can be a bit of a big girl when he loses. I like Forrest but I'm not a huge fan of his. In interviews sometimes I find him funny but other times it comes across as forced, like he's making an effort to say something weird just for the sake of it.

Speaking of Forrest, I'm currently reading his second book and I've gotta say Im a bit disappointed so far. I really liked Got Fight but this second one is a bit of a chore, I'm currently on like the 30th page straight of gun talk (how to hold a gun, how to fire a gun, how to look cool holding a gun) fuck me I don't want a gun or have any interest in 'em so it's not something i wanna read about at length. Seems like a cash in job and he was struggling to fill the pages. I'm hoping it picks up soon.

• Paid Members
I hear that Forrest Griffin ran out of the cage following his loss to Shogun, just like he did against Anderson Silva. Does anyone else wonder why he's such a fan favourite? Every time I hear him interviewed he comes across as a right cock, and he's obviously not a sporting loser either.

I don't quite get the love for Forrest Griffin.

I have to agree with you, I personally find him to be a grade A bell end.

I found UFC 134 decent, but not brilliant. As others have pointed out I felt the main fights were just too short. I was pleased for Nog coming away with the win but he was extremely close to being knocked out. From the bell you just had the feeling that it was inevitable. However, he pulled out the win and it's great seeing Schaub getting knocked the fuck out.

Forrest is a weird character.

I am a fan, but a lot of people who cover the sport have said negative things about him. Some believe clever editing on the original TUF covered up what a dickhead he is. To be fair this is a good theory, he wasnt exactly humble in some scenes being arrogent along with cheif nobhead Bobby Southworth about his team winning.

Only time he showed he had a nice side, was when he told Kos and Southworth that they had gone to far provoking Leben after the house rampage. I have read people describe him as self absorbed and even morbid.

Sherdog reporters have said they were friends with Forrest before he became a UFC employee, then he shunned them. Although Sherdog are not pally with Dana, Forrest didnt have to do that as several fighters still talk to Sherdog who are under Zuffa contract.

Has anyone seen that really odd Forrest Griffin interview with Areil Hewani it was from last week. He was acting very werid and swearing alot I still like him though but I think the Anderson Sliva match just fucked him up and he hasnt been the same since.

Has anyone seen that really odd Forrest Griffin interview with Areil Hewani it was from last week. He was acting very werid and swearing alot I still like him though but I think the Anderson Sliva match just fucked him up and he hasnt been the same since.

Gotta admit, I never tire of watching Silva school him in that fight.

• Paid Members

I kinda sit on the shelf when it comes to Forrest. From a fight standpoint, im a fan but i think he's a guy who's achieved so much more than he probably should have, there was a comment on the show saying he's more 'durable than good' and i tend to agree with that.

From a personality standpoint, he's definately a character but his lack of seriousness to everything can grate, he's Dana's golden boy though so he can do no wrong. Can you imagine Dana's reaction to certain other fighters if they came in under-motivated or reacted like Forrest does after a loss? He'd likely sack em.

• Paid Members
This is maybe strange to say, but I didn't actually enjoy the card that much. It was decent, of course, but everything was over so quickly it felt like there wasn't that much actual fighting on the main card. Very stand-and-bang, very similar kind of fights; I even enjoyed the last Versus card a lot more. That said, I'm happy for the Brazilians, delighted to see Anderson once again prove he's the man and pleased to see Ross Pearson give the only good performance by a loser on the main card (I agree he lost 29-28, but it was very close against a tough opponent who just did a bit more damage overall).

I did feel bad for ol' Ken-Flo. Most of the Brazilians were too caught up in the crowd to care and Kenny looked like a right lemon. Rogan must have had a good laugh.

I hear what your saying. There was very little fighting on the card, but from watching you just know its one of then cards that people will love. Its safe to say that the majority of MMA fans only watch it for the brutal finishes, so them people definately got their moneys worth. Nothing really wrong with that though, i understand that thats the main appeal of the sport. Id say it was a fun night of quick finishes rather than a great show. Still, i loved it!

• Paid Members

Watched this yesterday & enjoyed it from top to bottom. As people have mentioned the crowd were red hot & it really transferred well to the broadcast. Also thought Ken Flo did a decent job on the broadcast, when there's translators required it often makes the post-fight interviews tricky but I though he handled it well enough.

Nedkov/Cane was an odd one with Cane seemingly getting his entire motivation from the crowd. He didn't look great & Nedkov will get schooled by anyone half decent.

Soooo happy about Nog. I was praying that this wouldn't be the nail in his coffin given his long time off but he looked great, crisp striking & a great finish. Who do we think he'll face next?

Barboza/Pearson was a blinder. It was close so no complaints about the decision but I though Pearson's head movement was great & Barboza looked lightning fast in the first 2 rounds. I'm still hoping we get Pearson/Gomi at some point.

Shogun/Griffin went exactly how I predicted. Griffin hates fighting abroad & IMO was beat before he started. Expect him to headline a Fight Night soon or possibly match up a marquee fight against Tito? IMO this would be a solid 'name' addition to a smaller (non-title fight) card.

Anderson fucking Silva is without doubt the best fighter we've ever seen, to make is look that easy against someone like Okami is just incredible. Bisping will get destroyed by him but it's a fight I absolutely want to see! I'm also very confident that a healthy Anderson against a clean Sonnen will be an entirely different prospect than the first fight, it's funny that these two very important factors are rarely mentioned when people are discussing how close Chael came?

Archived