UFC 134: Silva vs Okami Discussion thread

wandshogun09

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rumours have been circulating that UFC will go to Japan in February- taking the usual spot of the Australian card. :angry:

I've been thinking about this card a lot the past couple of days, it has the potential to be really fantastic or really shit. The big question is obviously how Nog and Shogun will perform considering age/injuries. It won't be very entertaining to see Schaub and Griffin smash through the legends with ease. Hopefully they're motivated to give their best, most competitive performances in front of a home crowd. In regards to the main event, a Silva fight is usually fun to watch, and Okami is a tough opponent, but I fear that Okami's style will make it a grinding fight rather than a highlight reel. Probably doesn't help matters that I just watched the Marquardt fight last night.

If all else fails, Barboza could be counted on to have a FOTN performance, and perhaps Cane could have a KOTN if the big fights don't deliver. Obviously praying to be proven wrong.

• Paid Members
I've been away so I'm out of the loop. Are we not getting the prelims in the UK this time around?

Yeah mate, ESPN won't be carrying the prelims shows or Versus/Fox cards from here on in as it wasn't in the original contract ESPN signed in 2009 and they didn't wanna cough up for the extra shows :(

We'll still get the numbered UFC's and Fight Nights live on ESPN and probably TUF but the rest will have to be online or somewhere else like Premier Sports until a new deal is worked out or UFC goes somewhere else.

• Paid Members

Absolutely chuffed as fuck with last nights show. There's been shows with better fights top to bottom but for me that was probably one of my favourite MMA cards ever. Crowd was insane, atmosphere was mental and Nog and Shogun got first round stoppages. Brilliant.

Pretty much all the Brazilians seemed possessed. Who'd have picked Nog by KO? That seemed the least likely outcome and I don't mind admitting I screamed like a girl when I saw Schaub fall flat on his smug mug.

Shogun's power clearly troubled Forrest from the start. He got caught early and seemed to have no answer for the speed and power. Who knows what would have happened had it gone to round 2 or 3, I'd have favoured Forrest in a long gruelling fight but I'll take the first round KO happily.

Well pleased with them 2 fights, almost made up for Wand getting KO'd last month.

Anderson made much easier work of Okami than I expected. I dunno what Okami's gameplan was but he couldn't do shit and was walking into all kinds of strikes trying to get a hold of him. Anderson really has wiped out the division. It's all rematches from here on in apart from Bisping who doesn't have a chance in fuckery imo. Rematch with Sonnen or a GSP fight are the most interesting for me. Actually wouldn't mind a Belfort rematch either despite how the last one ended. Or Hendo. As rematches go there's some good ones there.

I had Pearson winning 29-28. It was close but I thought he was more the aggressor and got the better of round 1 and 3. But whatever, good fight and it wasn't clear enough to me to all it robbery or anything.

Cane KO'd again :( he's fallen big time. He's gone from being talked about as a potential title contender to losing 3 of his last 4 by first round KO/TKO. Shame cos I thought he was looking good up until the point where he got twatted and ran and Kung Fu kicked the fence.

Palhares vs Miller was my FOTN. Fantastic fight. Palhares is a fucking killer and Miller proved again what a tough bastard he is. Crazy when Palhares thought he won and hopped the cage, fucking nut :D

• Paid Members

Great show, the crowd was awesome all night long. The atmosphere must have been insane.

Silva wanted to perform for the home crowd and he made it look so easy again. Scary good. Dana brought up the subject of Silva/GSP again at the press conference, hopefully we can go down this route if GSP handles Diaz. Outside of a Rematch with Chael, and a fight with Bisping there isn't anything left thats interesting imo.

Forrest really looked like he threw out any kind of gameplan he had and blindly walked into being finished. He look lost. He didn't stick around for the official decision again either. I thought Shogun didn't look it such great shape physically, then he does that. Impressive performance.

Wish I had put a few quid on Nog now, that was a great moment, the crowd went mental. Another oldie shows he can still hang. Knocks Schaub down a bit too. Wonder what they'll do with Nog next.

Pearson/Barboza was a great back and forth fight. Pearson doesn't stop coming at all, I thought the decision was right. Love watching Barboza, so exciting, everything he does looks technical.

Palhares playing referee nearly cost him again, he would have certainly finished Miller if he'd thrown a few more punches. Miller thought it was over and had no complaint til Herb told him to carry on. Mentalist.

Luiz Cane provided one of the weirdest looking knockdowns I've ever seen. His eggs were definatley fried to stumble and jump into the cage like that. Nedkov managed to completely silence the crowd with that.

Erick Silva might get the hype train behind him. Not seen much of him before, impressive.

I thought Kenflo did a good job overall with the announcing. Had to feel for him a bit with a few of the post fight interviews, some were very awkward. I laughed when he was wrapping up the Palhares interview. Thanked him, put the mic up for Palhares to speak, and then yanked it away when he started to talk. Excellent :)

Another solid show, I bet their kicking themselves that they didn't do a bigger arena now. Brazil fans brought it.

4.gif

3.gif

4.gif

I loved the whole show last night, definently one of my favourite shows ever.

I thought Big Nog would win, but by KO....never! I went wild when he dropped Schaub, I can't remember the last time I felt so satisfied with a fight, so happy for Nog.

I had a feeling Rua was going to smash through Griffin and was proved right on that one as well, I just hope Rua can stay healthy for a few fights in a row now.

Silva is a machine, he made Okami look pretty shit, but I think we're used to him doing that to people now. It has to be Sonnen or GSP next, he'd destroy Stann and I think he'd handle Bisping and Henderson fairly easily as well. I really hope Stann doesn't beat Sonnen, I really don't wanna see Silva vs. Stann.

Palhares is one of my favourite fighters, he's a beast but he needs to learn to keep fighting until the referee steps in, awesome fight though. Miller never gives in.

I had a nice 4 fight bet come in,

An event which lived up to the hype completely. I can't think of an event that has done that so well since UFC 100.

Anderson looks pretty much unbeatable, doesn't he? The only person to ever come close was Sonnen, so he has to get the rematch. There isn't another fight out there for Silva at middleweight.

Don't know whether Forrests head was in it really? Obviously the birth of his daughter would of been number one on his mind and may have affected him. Not taking anything away from Rua though what an awesome performance.

So happy for Nog, I think most people going into it thought Schaub would blast him away into retirement but what fighting spirit he showed.

Canes KO was crazy as fuck, he turned into Anthony Pettis haha.

I thought Pearson won but can see how Barbosa got given the victory. He did more damage from strikes and landed the more crisp strikes, he is insanely good. Can't see Pearson being cut as he always brings it, more than Hardy does and that's why he is still there.

As for Silva, dam he must be a ninja. Really don't know what Okamis game plan was? Even in the first round when he had him against the cage he didn't really press too much for the takedown. Who knows what's next for Silva? I'd go with either Henderson or Sonnen or Stann if he gets passed Sonnen which I wouldn't bet against.

What a show it was though, shame they didnt use a bigger arena as the place was rammed. Loved how someone stole Silvas hat on the way to the cage haha.

I thought Pearson won but can see how Barbosa got given the victory. He did more damage from strikes and landed the more crisp strikes, he is insanely good. Can't see Pearson being cut as he always brings it, more than Hardy does and that's why he is still there.

There is no way Pearson is getting cut; he's 4-2 in the UFC, won his fight before the Barbosa one, lost a very close split decision last night, won Fight of the Night, is a TUF winner and is a Brit. He'll be around for a long time yet.

Still can't believe that Hardy has been kept on, and if he was any nationality other than British, I'm sure he would have been cut. It might even be best for him to have been released and them get some wins and confidence back on smaller shows.

Archived