UFC 134: Silva vs Okami Discussion thread

wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Usual Helwani interviews here - http://www.mmafighting.com/

interviews Anderson Silva (in English), Lorenzo Fertitta, Forrest Griffin and Brendan Schaub. Probably have loads more up over today/tomorrow with Dana, Shogun, Nog, Okami, Pearson, Barboza etc.

Nice to see Lorenzo doing more interviews lately. I actually like Dana (most of the time) but there's no doubt Lorenzo is more media friendly and it's interesting to hear what he has to say sometimes.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gotta echo everyone else, can't wait for Saturday.

Although I've got a bad feeling I'm not gonna like the outcomes of some of the fights. I'm predicting Anderson by KO/TKO round 3 or 4, Griffin by decision and Schaub by 2nd round KO/TKO :(

I'm really hoping Shogun gets a good KO though. Forrest's not unknockoutable as he's shown before and Shogun's looking in great shape and the reports are he's trained harder than ever for this one. Still, since the fight was announced I've thought Forrest is winning this using his size to wear on Shogun and outwork him over 3 rounds. Should be a good fight though.

Nog is the big question mark for me. He came in lighter for Randy and Cain and looked better physically and it paid off vs Randy. Cain was just too fast and explossive for him. If he's on for this he could well win, I've always felt Schaub is nothing special. Then again Nog's chin is faded and Schaub has the wrestling to keep it standing so it's a tough style fight for Nog. Ring rust could fuck Nog up too.

Same here

He will be a waste of a title shot as he has no chance against the winner of JDS/Cain. I have read rumors if he wins he may be in line for it.

After watching the countdown I must say I hyped for this one.

• Paid Members

Forrest Griffin's not having much fun in Brazil

"It'd be a great place to come on vacation. Not a great place to work."

"I can't read the labels on the food. I don't know what's going on. I can't get anybody to cook my sweet potatoes. The scale tells me weird numbers, I don't know what the f--k they are. I've got to do math every time I get on the scale. You guys don't have distilled water. ...Do you want me to keep bitchin'? Because I will."

:laugh:

Big Nog quote

"I'd been fighting hurt for three years. But I've been healthy for the past four months, after my surgeries. I may have a bit of ring rust, but to fight in Brazil is something else. To wake up in my own home, eat breakfast at home, and train in my own gym one mile away is a victory in itself."

"I'm coming off three surgeries, so I think he believes he'll catch 'Minotauro' while he's downt. But I believe he's mistaken."

"I'm Brazilian but had never fought in Brazil. Most Brazilian fighters have had the pleasure to fight in Brazil. This will be my [41st] fight, and I've never had the opportunity to fight in Brazil. To be cheering as a Brazilian (in the stands for UFC 134) would be great, but to be a part of all this is just too much

"It will be a hard fight. It will be an aggressive fight. I promise my best. I'll try to end it by submission, which is what I do best. Brazil's jiu-jitsu is the best in the world, and I'll try to demonstrate this."

love to see this

29wjv4p.jpg

the crowd will go fucking mental if Nog wins, so will I

• Paid Members

weigh in results

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view)

Anderson Silva (184) vs. Yushin Okami (183)

Forrest Griffin (205) vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (205)

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (243) vs. Brendan Schaub (247)

Luiz Cane (204) vs. Stanislav Nedkov (203)

Edson Barboza (155) vs. Ross Pearson (155)

PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike TV)

Spencer Fisher (156) vs. Thiago Tavares (156)

Dan Miller (184) vs. Rousimar Palhares (185)

PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook)

David Mitchell (171) vs. Paulo Thiago (169)

Raphael Assuncao (134) vs. Johnny Eduard (135)

Erick Silva (169) vs. Luis Ramos (171)

Felipe Arantes (145) vs. Yuri Alcantara (144)

Yves Jabouin (135) vs. Ian Loveland (135)

anderson-silva-yushin-okami.JPG

mauricio-shogun-rua-forrest-griffin.JPG

antonio-rodrigo-nogueira-brendan-schaub.JPG

ross-pearson-edson-barboza.JPG

luiz-cane-stanislav-nedkov.JPG

• Paid Members

Nog didn't look too good to me at the weigh ins, looks a bit podgy and coming in over 240 has me worried. There's been reports that he rushed his recovery because he wanted to fight on this card

antonio-rodrigo-nogueira.JPG

maybe it's nothing but I always feel like he performs better when he comes in about 230ish. Last time he looked this chubby was for the Mir fight :(

on the plus side Shogun looks in top shape

mauricio-shogun-rua.JPG

can't wait for tonight

Watched the weigh-ins this morning and whilst I am rooting for Nog, I am fearing the worst. Even if he does win, there is no way that Schaub should be getting a title shot soon; victories over Gormley, Tuchscherer, Gonzaga, Cro Cop and Nog should not warrant a crack at the Heavyweight belt. He really needs to beat a Lesnar, a Carwin (guess this wont happen) or a JDS first, plus I doubt he would get past Mir or even Nelson in a rematch.

The only thing is I am guessing they are wanting to do Brock/Mir III, I can't see him fighting his teammate Carwin, Nelson is coming off the back of a couple of losses and it is too soon for Struve, Herman or Browne. A victory over Nog and depending on how Cain/JDS goes he may sadly get the next shot.

• Paid Members

Nog's never been ripped but he does look a little overly-podgy there, can't read too much into that but it doesn't help me change my mind that the guy still aint 100%...or if he is 100% he's not what ge used to be.

• Paid Members

Apparently Schaub isn't getting a title shot even if he wins tonight. According to Dana

"Let's not get crazy here. If he wins on Saturday night that would be huge. It's a big fight for his record but he's got a couple more guys he'd need to beat before he got a title shot."

With Cain/JDS being in October I'm guessing they'll do Lesnar vs Mir 3 around Dec/Jan time and have the winner get the next shot. Another possibility is they're close to signing Overeem and he'll fight the Cain/JDS winner.

Schaub could fight the Kongo/Meathead winner

Archived