Oslo Bombing and Shooting

patiirc

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Terrible tragedy. To me it looks like the bomb in Oslo was meant to act as a decoy to weaken response from the local authorities to what was happening at the youth camp.

Related to it, the S*n gains another 'epic fail'...

16035864.jpg

Absolutely shocking, terrible stuff. It seemed bad enough last night when the details were first coming out, but overnight the death toll went much higher than I think anyone was expecting. As people have said, it's really unusual for the perpetrator to be caught alive after an event like this. Can't imagine he'll last long in prison, in any case.

As an aside, I'm getting a bit tired of the "look, white people can be terrorists too!" sort of stuff on Twitter. Maybe that's a lesson that some in America or in other parts of Europe need to learn, but I think most British people are aware, given our history.

Absolutely shocking, terrible stuff. It seemed bad enough last night when the details were first coming out, but overnight the death toll went much higher than I think anyone was expecting. As people have said, it's really unusual for the perpetrator to be caught alive after an event like this. Can't imagine he'll last long in prison, in any case.

IIRC anyone found guilty of murder in Norway can only receive a maximum sentence of 14 years, though I'm not sure how multiple murders work wherever the sentences are concurrent or consecutive.

As an aside, I'm getting a bit tired of the "look, white people can be terrorists too!" sort of stuff on Twitter. Maybe that's a lesson that some in America or in other parts of Europe need to learn, but I think most British people are aware, given our history.

What about Timothy McVeigh & the Unabomber?

IIRC anyone found guilty of murder in Norway can only receive a maximum sentence of 14 years, though I'm not sure how multiple murders work wherever the sentences are concurrent or consecutive.

They seem to limit it to 21 years and most are out in 10, life sentences are still on the books but are not used due to a ruling that isnt law. Thats what Ive heard over the last years.

What about Timothy McVeigh & the Unabomber?

Yeah, I'm aware of the cases, and that's part of my annoyance. Most people are aware that terrorists can be from any ethnic background, and don't need these heavy-handed 'lessons' from commenters who think they're performing some sort of public service.

Of course there are people who don't get that, and they should certainly know better. I didn't mean to suggest that Americans are in particular ignorant; they just have less experience than we do of 'white' terrorism (relatively isolated cases as opposed to sustained campaigns). And I don't know America that well, hence the "maybe". My point was just that most Brits have grown up with it, and aren't likely to forget that because the most prominent threat of recent times has come from elsewhere.

• Moderators

Nah, I think it's worth addressing; things done changed a lot in the last 10 years.

The narrative in the media switches from "Muslim terrorist who represents all muslims" to "lone right wing extremist nut". I think people are that quick to forget.

Quality journalism from the Sun, immediately assuming it was al qaeda. About time people realised that far right groups are also a legitimate threat.

Aren't Al Qaeda a far-right group?

Going by the following definition I'd say they are;

Far right politics commonly involve supremacism

• Paid Members
Glenn Beck compares the shooting victims to the Hitler Youth.

This makes me feel ill, quite frankly. What the fuck is wrong with Glenn Beck.

Glenn Beck compares everything left-wing to Hitler and the Nazis, bottom-feeding pond-life scrote-sack that he is.

As Lewis Black said about him on the Daily Show: "Glenn Beck has Nazi Tourettes. It's like Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, except that there's only one degree, and Kevin Bacon is Hitler."

Archived