Strangest Crowd Reactions.

CleetusVanDamme

• Paid Members

Remember the night Viscera was mega-over in Madison Square Garden, and the crowd erupted into "LETS GO MABEL" chants?.

Remember the Nitro/Thunder in Canada when the crowd was cheering for Vince Russo over Goldberg?.

What about Summerslam 2004 where the Toronto crowd played opposites for the entire show, even booing the fuck out of the "hometown hero" Edge?.

Anyone got any other good examples/stories of a crowd turning on a wrestler/show?. Or even just reacting, uh, strangely?.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first thing that comes to mind is when DDP was revealed as The Stalker. The character had been built up as a sick, twisted psycho who would do anything to get at Sara Undi. He came down the ramp on Taker's bike and got the shit booed out of him. He did the one fisted salute and got huge heat. He then took his mask off and BANG, got a monster pop all whilst JR was calling him a pig to a dog on commentary. At the time, I didn't know who the fuck DDP was having not seen any of WCW, so I was pretty puzzled why the crowd were going mental for the bloke who wanted to shag Undertaker's wife.

Always thought that The Rock got a hostile reaction he wasn't banking on at Summerslam 2002 against Brock. Rock was presented as the good guy but I think the fans (including me) were a bit sick of him steam rolling the competition on PPV. When they get to the finish and Brock lifts him into the F5 the place goes nuts. Mainly because he beat The Rock clean!

Nice passing of the torch there...even if I don't think they were expecting a pro-Lesnar crowd. I loved it :)

• Paid Members
ECW One Night Stand 2006 when the crowd cheered Big Show killing the ECW cruiserweight chaps. Completely out of character for an ECW crowd to cheer that.

They were cheering Show because he recently got drafted to the ECW roster. At the time I think the fans were all pumped for the idea of a new ECW brand and were welcoming of a respected star like the Big Show coming over and representing the brand in their hardcore style. Of course they didn't know then what we know now how the brand actually turned out!

WrestleMania 22 had a fairly odd crowd. I get why they boo'ed Cena and even Mysterio to some degree, but Trish!??

• Paid Members

This might just be me, but does anyone else think that The Rock wasn't expecting such a pro Hogan crowd at WM? maybe I'm just reading to much into his great facials but I thought he genuinely seemed a little shocked with how the crowd were so rabid for Hogan.

• Awards Moderator
WrestleMania 22 had a fairly odd crowd. I get why they boo'ed Cena and even Mysterio to some degree, but Trish!??

I was there for that and it was one of the most entertaining crowds I've seen/been in. It may not have been as noticeable in some matches, but most heels were getting preferential cheers over the faces pretty much all night. Even Carlito and Masters were getting chants in their tag match with Big Show and Kane. You're right about Trish, too. She got slaughtered.

The main event was great and an absolute joy to be part of. The jeers for Cena got so much for one kid in front of me, his Mum took him out of the arena and he missed the finish. Poor little sod.

• Paid Members
I was there for that and it was one of the most entertaining crowds I've seen/been in. It may not have been as noticeable in some matches, but most heels were getting preferential cheers over the faces pretty much all night. Even Carlito and Masters were getting chants in their tag match with Big Show and Kane. You're right about Trish, too. She got slaughtered.

The main event was great and an absolute joy to be part of. The jeers for Cena got so much for one kid in front of me, his Mum took him out of the arena and he missed the finish. Poor little sod.

Awesome. Loved the event and am very jealous you got to be there. I think the crowd made the main event 10x better.

They were cheering Show because he recently got drafted to the ECW roster. At the time I think the fans were all pumped for the idea of a new ECW brand and were welcoming of a respected star like the Big Show coming over and representing the brand in their hardcore style. Of course they didn't know then what we know now how the brand actually turned out!

Wasn't that the night Trish was facing an overtly lesbian character in front of a bunch of wrestling nerds? It would have been strange if the reaction wasn't what it was.

• Paid Members
Always thought that The Rock got a hostile reaction he wasn't banking on at Summerslam 2002 against Brock. Rock was presented as the good guy but I think the fans (including me) were a bit sick of him steam rolling the competition on PPV. When they get to the finish and Brock lifts him into the F5 the place goes nuts. Mainly because he beat The Rock clean!

Nice passing of the torch there...even if I don't think they were expecting a pro-Lesnar crowd. I loved it :)

Nah that had more to do with the fans resenting The Rock constantly pissing off every few months to make a film. It got to the point where WWE decided to use that in his 'Hollywood' Rock character.

Archived