Strangest Crowd Reactions.

CleetusVanDamme

no mention of the impact zone yet?

The iMPACT! Zone is basically made up of tourists and quite frankly I've seen more life at an Arsenal match. I remember throughout 2006 you'd see the same faces in the front row facing the hard camera. They added a little bit of atmosphere but then it got to the point where they'd chant "This is awesome!" at anything.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I always believed that Rock didnt expect the reaction against Hogan, at least not so overwhelmingly pro-Hogan and have always felt that that and the aforementioned Brock match crowd reactions were significant, definitive points of his career in that they were major influences in him changing careers.

I always believed that Rock didnt expect the reaction against Hogan, at least not so overwhelmingly pro-Hogan and have always felt that that and the aforementioned Brock match crowd reactions were significant, definitive points of his career in that they were major influences in him changing careers.

Well he already had really, he was already leaving shortly after Mania and he was only back for Summerslam (IIRC) because Austin walked out and he was hastily brought back in and was then off again straight away, he was already part time and was always going to lean towards the mega bucks of Hollywood for little effort than being a wrestler again.

It's pretty much a circular argument, the reason he got those reactions was due to the career change.

• Paid Members
It's pretty much a circular argument, the reason he got those reactions was due to the career change.

Not at WrestleMania 18. Toronto is a Hogan town. He wasn't ever going to be more popular than Hogan that night. Or in fact the night in Chicago when Hogan was getting a massive reaction. People in Toronto liked Hogan more. They werent just booing the Rock. They were passionately cheering for Hogan.

Always thought that The Rock got a hostile reaction he wasn't banking on at Summerslam 2002 against Brock. Rock was presented as the good guy but I think the fans (including me) were a bit sick of him steam rolling the competition on PPV. When they get to the finish and Brock lifts him into the F5 the place goes nuts. Mainly because he beat The Rock clean!

Nice passing of the torch there...even if I don't think they were expecting a pro-Lesnar crowd. I loved it :)

Yeah I remember that well and thinking "WTF?" But the brilliance of the match was that both Lesnar and Rock seemed to switch roles to fit the crowd reactions which I thought was perfect.

• Paid Members
I dont think the DDP one was strange at all. You forget everything when you get a surprise appearance like that. Especially when you have no idea DDP had signed.

He does rather get an insane pop for somebody that is supposed to be a despicable heel in the storyline.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...YgcXKmqs#t=101s

• Paid Members

Regarding the Rock thing again, i meant i always felt it swayed him into changing careers permanently and fucking off wrestling more or less altogether. As prior to those events, i always got the impression he really did want to stick with and give us much to WWE as he still could.

The iMPACT! Zone is basically made up of tourists and quite frankly I've seen more life at an Arsenal match. I remember throughout 2006 you'd see the same faces in the front row facing the hard camera. They added a little bit of atmosphere but then it got to the point where they'd chant "This is awesome!" at anything.

That's not really true though. How do you think non-wrestling-fan tourists know the likes of the Motor City Machine Guns when they're chanting "Motor City!" at them?

• Paid Members
That's not really true though. How do you think non-wrestling-fan tourists know the likes of the Motor City Machine Guns when they're chanting "Motor City!" at them?

Not many people chant in the Impact Zone though. Its just a couple of hundred regulars who chant along with the wrestlers, and your average Indy show proves a small group can make a big noise. The rest of them stand there in Aston Villa shirts saying "wasnt he in Rocky III?" Thats probably why they have to pump in that noise sweetener every time a wrestler grins.

• Paid Members
Regarding the Rock thing again, i meant i always felt it swayed him into changing careers permanently and fucking off wrestling more or less altogether. As prior to those events, i always got the impression he really did want to stick with and give us much to WWE as he still could.

Actually the deal breaker was one of Vinces cronies (Ace?) not even bothering to contacting The Rock about renewing his contract. Apparently The Rock was still keen on making the odd appearance (like he was doing), but when nobody even bothered to get in touch with him over a new deal he got the hump and decided he was done with wrestling. Vince was apparently furious with the bloke that fucked it up (again, I think this was Aces thing at the time).

On TNA and the shite crowd, are they still doing 'on the road' editions of Impact Wrestling in August? I read somewhere that Hogan was talking poo again.

• Paid Members
Not at WrestleMania 18. Toronto is a Hogan town. He wasn't ever going to be more popular than Hogan that night. Or in fact the night in Chicago when Hogan was getting a massive reaction. People in Toronto liked Hogan more. They werent just booing the Rock. They were passionately cheering for Hogan.

I've always wondered why Toronto go so mental for Hogan. It's weird how a huge city in Canada go crazy for such a pro-American megastar. Sure, he's so big you'd expect him to be popular anywhere in the west, but in Toronto the reception for him is ridiculous.

• Paid Members
I've always wondered why Toronto go so mental for Hogan. It's weird how a huge city in Canada go crazy for such a pro-American megastar. Sure, he's so big you'd expect him to be popular anywhere in the west, but in Toronto the reception for him is ridiculous.

It could go back to the fact Hogan was working for the AWA in Canada since the early 80's and was huge then as well when he was feuding with Bockwinkle etc, they've been watching him up there longer than anybody and the fans up there could be considerd arguably more die-hard than their U.S counterparts so the people who watched him in the AWA probably watched him with the WWF etc and told their kids about him etc etc so he always remained massively over. The Canadians always went mental for him in WCW aswell, their's a Nitro in Canada where he's a heel but the reactions for him are insane.

• Paid Members

Its incredible to believe WCW only toured Canada once during their big money years, and that was for a Nitro and Thunder taping. Imagine the business they would have done with Hogan and Bret Hart on their roster. The show in Toronto in 1999 made WCW look like the only promotion in town again, with those rabid fan reactions for the Bret/Goldberg angle and the old school Gene Okerlund/Hulk Hogan babyface interview and Sting making his return. It might have been the last great night for WCW.

I dont think the DDP one was strange at all. You forget everything when you get a surprise appearance like that. Especially when you have no idea DDP had signed. If announced they were revealing the bloke who hacked the phones of Milly Dowler in the middle of Wembley and he took his Ski Mask off and it was revealed to be Jack Duckworth, there would be an initial pop for the appearance.

" IT WERE ME VERA, IT WERE ME ALL ALONG "

bill-tarmey-as-jack-duckworth-in-coronation-street-pic-rex-748628859.jpg

Archived