GLAAD to Train WWE Talent after CM Punk's Anti-Gay Incident?

Seratonin

Hilarious that this outburst has apparently enticed WWE to talk to GLAAD (Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation) to 'train' commentators and wrestlers.

Discuss.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/glaad-train...ti-gay-incident

GLAAD is in discussions with World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) to train its on-air talent, including its performers, following another anti-gay outburst by a WWE personality over the 4th of July weekend.

At a live WWE event in Australia, wrestler CM Punk was caught on camera directing an anti-gay slur towards a heckler. While the show was not broadcast, that doesn

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me what stands out is your boldness of the fact they stated CM Punk's contract isn't being renewed. Anyway back to this i don't see why they got to be so mad it is what makes wrestling the banter between fans and wrestlers, its the interaction itself. Yes the GLAAD are tackling the bullying or what not of gay and lesbians (dunno if i'm right but it is what i believe they are) yet WWE has an anti-bullying campaign in place. Surly GLAAD would work with the Be-A-Star thing as well as the WWE, and what about TNA with their risky nature surly they are going to say stuff like this soon?

• Paid Members

The amount of times they've had to apologise for using homophobic language, its easy to see why some of the wrestlers should be trained in how to speak about gays on TV.

Anyway back to this i don't see why they got to be so mad it is what makes wrestling the banter between fans and wrestlers

That isnt banter. How is calling someone a homo "banter"?

"Banter" seems to be new word to defend silly, unacceptable speech. People have said that CM Punk, as a heel, should be able to use a word like "homo." But this wasn't in any kind of acceptable context; he was flat-out taunting a fan with anti-gay slurs.

"Banter" seems to be new word to defend silly, unacceptable speech. People have said that CM Punk, as a heel, should be able to use a word like "homo." But this wasn't in any kind of acceptable context; he was flat-out taunting a fan with anti-gay slurs.

I agree 100% here calling a gay (or any fan ) a Homo is no different to calling a black fan the N word can you image the outcry if he (or any other wrestler) had done that

• Paid Members
I agree 100% here calling a gay (or any fan ) a Homo is no different to calling a black fan the N word can you image the outcry if he (or any other wrestler) had done that

Would calling somebody a Ginna? or Ginger nut be the same as well then?

• Paid Members

Having endured all of those promos that Cena cut on The Rock, it was pretty clear the writing team needed these classes more than anyone else. It'll be interesting next year to see how they manage to continue the feud without relying solely on shit puns that suggest The Rock is gay.

I think people greatly underestimate the use of the word faggot and other words associated with being gay. I know the f word wasn't used here but had been the last time glaad got involved with Michael Coles outburst on twitter.

End of the day, and nobody can tell me otherwise, the use of specific words has been used to abuse and humiliate gay men and women for years and used in times when people were being killed for being gay.

I think a lack of education or plain ignorance causes people to fail to realise that gay men and women (young males in particular) having a much higher rate of attempted and completed suicide attempts compared to the average person. It should also be noted that gay men have a tendancy to develop alcohol and drug misuse, mental health problems and other social complications. This has been proven to be exacerbated by bullying and verbal/physical abuse from people in society.

What starts off as a seemingly innocent or "funny" use of words turns into something more serious leading to feelings of isolation, depression and distress.

People will always say that use of language against gay men and women isn't the same as using other racial slurs but it's very much the same. Any language used to suppress, abuse or humiliate a group in society should not be tolerated. If Punk had used the N word (a disgraceful word I may add) everyone would be outraged. This should be no different. However homophobia will always be 20 years behind racism in terms of how public tackle or accept it.

On closing I believe this... Using a word which describes a group in society in a negative way or as an insult greatly undermines the people within that group and adds to feelings of homophobia/racism

Archived