GLAAD to Train WWE Talent after CM Punk's Anti-Gay Incident?

Seratonin

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Having endured all of those promos that Cena cut on The Rock, it was pretty clear the writing team needed these classes more than anyone else. It'll be interesting next year to see how they manage to continue the feud without relying solely on shit puns that suggest The Rock is gay.

Probably with more stuff abouit how Rock can't be arsed turning up 90% of the time, which was far more of an issue in the feud so far than any gay jokes -- though you already know that, seeing as you've endured the promos.

I think people greatly underestimate the use of the word faggot and other words associated with being gay. I know the f word wasn't used here but had been the last time glaad got involved with Michael Coles outburst on twitter.

End of the day, and nobody can tell me otherwise, the use of specific words has been used to abuse and humiliate gay men and women for years and used in times when people were being killed for being gay.

I think a lack of education or plain ignorance causes people to fail to realise that gay men and women (young males in particular) having a much higher rate of attempted and completed suicide attempts compared to the average person. It should also be noted that gay men have a tendancy to develop alcohol and drug misuse, mental health problems and other social complications. This has been proven to be exacerbated by bullying and verbal/physical abuse from people in society.

What starts off as a seemingly innocent or "funny" use of words turns into something more serious leading to feelings of isolation, depression and distress.

People will always say that use of language against gay men and women isn't the same as using other racial slurs but it's very much the same. Any language used to suppress, abuse or humiliate a group in society should not be tolerated. If Punk had used the N word (a disgraceful word I may add) everyone would be outraged. This should be no different. However homophobia will always be 20 years behind racism in terms of how public tackle or accept it.

On closing I believe this... Using a word which describes a group in society in a negative way or as an insult greatly undermines the people within that group and adds to feelings of homophobia/racism

I agree if you want to see how a anti gay word or anti gay anything (marriage ect) sounds just substitute the word gay for black and see how it would sound then.

• Moderators
I agree if you want to see how a anti gay word or anti gay anything (marriage ect) sounds just substitute the word gay for black and see how it would sound then.

Anti-Black Marriage? I reckon it's interracial marriage the racists have the problem with bud.

Anti-Black Marriage? I reckon it's interracial marriage the racists have the problem with bud.

Way back when Blacks wasn't allowed to get married in some churches and some white ppl in authority (registrars ect) could refuse to do the service if they so wished.

But that was my point anyway now a days if they said 2 blacks couldn't marry there would be an outcry

• Moderators
Way back when Blacks wasn't allowed to get married in some churches and some white ppl in authority (registrars ect) could refuse to do the service if they so wished.

But that was my point anyway now a days if they said 2 blacks couldn't marry there would be an outcry

That isn't anti-black marriage, that's a segregation/civil rights issue. I doubt they refused to marry them because they didn't want blacks to get married, like some people don't want homosexuals to get married. They refused to marry them because they just don't like black folk and didn't want them in their church or whatever.

Wherever people put Gay or Nigger put Ginger is there any difference?

I see what your getting at but it's not really the same I doubt many gingers have been turned down the right to marry or have been refused jobs or refused entry into (or asked to leave) certain establishments based on their hair colour now and in the past both gays and non whites have

• Paid Members
I see what your getting at but it's not really the same I doubt many gingers have been turned down the right to marry or have been refused jobs or refused entry into (or asked to leave) certain establishments based on their hair colour now and in the past both gays and non whites have

I would say your right. I would also say Ginger people get targeted for bullying near the same. So where does the line stop? If the guy heckling CM Punk was ginger I'd say they would be a fair chance he would of brought it up.

Gingers do have souls.

The amount of times they've had to apologise for using homophobic language, its easy to see why some of the wrestlers should be trained in how to speak about gays on TV.

That isnt banter. How is calling someone a homo "banter"?

Just because you call someone a "fag" "queer" "homo" or whatever, doesn't instantly mean that the person spouting that stuff means it in any malicious way or is homophobic.

• Paid Members
You what? Griefing gingers and hate for homosexual is worlds apart.

But most people don't hate on Homosexual's. It's common for people to call friends and that a gay or fag. I'm not saying its right or it should be done on the platform of WWE but to kick up a big fuss every single time does not do GLADD any favors in my opinion.

Archived