GLAAD to Train WWE Talent after CM Punk's Anti-Gay Incident?

Seratonin

How could any of you possibly think Ian is a gay? He's a master shagger, take it from me. I hate these kind of subjects, because everyone always ends up going round in circles. I've got lots of gay friends, so I haven't got a problem with them or what they do, it's their choice and I respect that and it doesn't alter my friendship with them whatsoever. But it's just one word and as some have said earlier in this thread, it isn't to be taken literally.

angry-mob.jpg

Sort it out, you bunch of poofs.

that (unintentionally ofc) is 100x more offensive than what CM Punk said ^_^(the bolded bit) :p

Still not offensive by any means imo <.<

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely the only possible response to this is; 'good'. Its hardly a bad thing. The WWE produce an entertainment show for an international family audience and have been offered training to help them prevent offending a particular aspect of society. I wish people would get over this old fashioned idea of what heels should be able to do. They can't now. Its that simple. Why people struggle to get it is beyond me.

• Paid Members
Surely the only possible response to this is; 'good'. Its hardly a bad thing. The WWE produce an entertainment show for an international family audience and have been offered training to help them prevent offending a particular aspect of society. I wish people would get over this old fashioned idea of what heels should be able to do. They can't now. Its that simple. Why people struggle to get it is beyond me.

Oh they get it alright. Its just they dont get it in this particular instance because its CM Punk.

They are also going to train them to wrestle, lesson #1 How to take a flying tackle in the ring

I will get my rainbow sequined cloak

taking a pounding in the ring?

how to take a piledirver in the ring?

calling a gay (or any fan ) a Homo is no different to calling a black fan the N word

Bullshit. Sorry, but you're totally wrong and profoundly ignorant if you believe this.

The "N-Word", or "Nigger", is a word which carries the weight of hundreds of years of exploitation, repression and segregation. You can't possibly believe that one man calling another man a "homo" is anything even remotely similar to a white man calling a black man a "nigger". Homosexuals in the western world, particularly in America, still have a way to go before they're completely accepted for who they are, but they're certainly not legally permitted to be treated like second class citizens like black people once were. When Homosexuals are banned from public places, banned from attending public schools, stopped in the street and searched by Police for no reason and forbidden from owning property or running businesses then we can start drawing comparisons to the words "homo" and "nigger", but until that day comes "nigger" will always be incalculably worse.

My two pence worth is this: overt homophobic slurs like 'homo' and 'fag' aren't really acceptable for use on a wrestling TV show these days, and if that's where the line is drawn after this training, then fine. My concern is, words used to denote 'feminised' or otherwise 'unmasculine' men have often overlapped in society with slurs used against homosexual men. What if, for instance, a wrestler wants to call an opponent a 'bitch' or a 'pussy' (or even, inkeeping with PG guidelines, a 'sissy')? Are organisations like GLAAD going to then read homophobia or anti-feminism into that - how PC is going to be PC enough, in the long run?

Yes, in a perfect world it would be great if wrestlers/writers could come up with witty, demeaning barbs that didn't have to bring daft insults like this into it, but in actuality it's lowest common denominator entertainment that relies on stereotypes and short, snappy soundbites, and 90% of trash talk is about proving how much less manly your opponent is than you. Let's face it, if it were any more complex or cerebral than that, the kiddie audience they're trying so hard to protect wouldn't watch it.

As horrible as anti-gay slurs are, the word 'nigger' is worse because of how historically-loaded it is and because its a term that casually dehumanizes its targets.

I love Matt Stone and Trey Parker, but they and everyone else has it wrong on the word "fag" being okay to use casually and non-literally. The fact is "fag" has a terrible history and that it can be and is still used as an anti-gay slur. Even if you don't mean it literally, you have to stop and ask yourself; why does the word 'fag' carry connotations of negativity in the first place? It's no different from saying something's "gay" as a way disapproving of it.

Under the PG era, we obviously don't want words like "homo" in wrestling. And, like I said earlier, CM Punk's behaviour is completely reprehensible. But I still think there's an acceptable context for a heel to be anti-gay. Wrestling is about battling ideologies, so I think it would be fine if you had an anti-gay wrestler whose every action and argument regarding the issue was shown to be stupid, illogical and wrong and he was bested. I know McMahon is a hardcore Republican, but why can't wrestling be used to realize more liberal ends?

• Paid Members
After watching the footage I can honestly say that this is a non-story that has been blown completely out of proportion.

Such a non-story he apologised for it? He was in the wrong, he apologised, end of. But it hasnt been blown completely out of proportion, because unlike Michael Cole who was caught out and shit himself, CM Punk has apologised for it and stated his pro-gay stance. He should be at least commended for how he's handled it, compared to how others would have. You only think its been blown out of proportion because he's one of your favourites, and you want him to lead half the roster in a business killing heel stable. If Hulk Hogan called Koko B Ware a "golliwog", I might be defending him as well. Its how wrestling is. Most of us are one-sided and contradict our opinions for he sake of our favourites.

I aint defending him and I like him as a wrestler but am no super fan. I just dont see what the big deal is so he called him a homo. The bloke doesnt seem gay so its not like its prejudice and he was joining in back and forth with punk. If he was gay and complained then maybe i would agree that it was wrong

Jesus Christ, could you miss the issue anymore?

Ive had worse then that walking down the street for being black mind not gay. I never got the reason for defence groups they dont work if someone is going to call you a name they will regaurdless of what seminar they have sat through. Example when i was at school we done loads of stuff with Show racism the red card and the kids sitting listening to the speaker where the ones that called is the names. If im not bothered bout being called names then why is some stupid gay rights movement kicking off, When the person that was called wasnt even gay and didnt even complain. Its a non issue if you went to the police with that most they would do is ask the person not to call you it again

If im not bothered bout being called names then why is some stupid gay rights movement kicking off, When the person that was called wasnt even gay and didnt even complain. Its a non issue if you went to the police with that most they would do is ask the person not to call you it again

Punk is a heel. He is insulting the crowd. By calling the fan a 'homo' (a gay slur), he is therefore stating that calling someone homosexual, whether they are or not, would be an insult. Homosexuality is not something that should be seen as being negative. The fact that the fan didn't not complain, does not mean that other people would be offended by it. 1 person does not represent an entire section of society, big or small.

Archived