The worst thing about HHH between 2002-2004

NEWM

I'm going to say it, he shaved his beard. I hated that look, it looked like he aged 5 years and got a double chin in the space of a couple of weeks. Plus his hair lost it's lustre and became very greasy looking. I'm not kidding, just go back and look at the photos of 2003.

I hated him mainly because he was there. No offence but The Rock had an amazing last hurrah with Hogan/Austin/ Goldberg, and after he left all that was there was HHH who just didn't have the same charisma. He to me was the face of Raw and Raw did alot of crap, Shane McMahon the monster killer, Scott Steiner and Test feud, Dance Lance Storm, etc. Plus his hair went to shit.

I must disagree with the highlighted point - as pointed out in another thread not long ago, Steiner's feud with Test was one of the only decent things happening that summer. You only have to remember Stacy's legs and the birth of the Testicles to remember that, and that's before bringing into play Super Scotty and how he settled into the WWE universe after Triple H tried to destroy him earlier on.

You're right though, Trips shouldn't have shaved. Is this the period he started wearing white and purple stuff too? Didn't work really, did it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Actually, I quite liked that he started wearing different coloured trunks. I do concede that the white boots were a bit excessive and made him look like a pillock though. I remember him wearing them in the triple threat at WMXX, but when else did he wear them? RR '04 against Michaels?

He wore them quite often on PPV. They became know as his PPV boots on here, and people who at the time were haters, but slowly coming around to him, joked that he needs the white boots to have a good match, as his PPV outings that year were awesome. He started to wear them at Mania 20, and wore them on each PPV for a good 5 months after. Definitely wore them for the Triple Threat rematch at Backlash, and the Hell in a Cell v HBK. I'm thinking he stopped around Summerslam v Eugene, but I may be wrong on that one.

I

I'm going to go with the monologues. Despite the facts shown that he didn't do it EVERY week, it was still often enough to kill the crowds. He got virtually no heat in any of those, the audience just sat on their hands waiting for someone to interrupt. It was boring as sin.

His matches weren't up to par in 2003, but that is excusable for his injuries etc at the time. There's no excuse for his promos being that dire, he was a veteran and a experienced promo man who has delivered in the past. I believe they should have built someone else up while Triple H took a 6 month break, he was really uninspired at the time. They could have even ran an angle with Flair being the vulnerable heel champion that is supposed to get his ass kicked, but Orton and Batista prevent that from happening. Crowds seemed less receptive to Flair during that time because of the Triple H association, he got a huge reaction in that Triple H match, but apart from that, Naitch didn't really get the nostalgia love he received in other years. I think he could have been rejuvenated and scored lots of heel heat as the old man sneakily beating the likes of RVD and HBK.

The best thing I can remember was the Arm Wrestle with Steiner before the Rumble. It was tremendous. Specifically the part where HHH thinks he's got it under control and looks at Scott, who then breaks out into a shit-eating grin and hammers HHH. Again and again and again. Its funny. HHH's facials are great and the segment is awesome. In fact, the whole feud was brilliant until they went 25 minues at the Rumble.

As is the line:

"I'm not scared of a guy who's one big move is pumping up his Reeboks".

I'm almost certain it was a haematoma in his leg - he was sustaining quite a few of these because of the pressure he was putting on his body at the time from excessive bodybuilding, i.e. his muscles were getting too big for his natural frame. There was a period, some of you may remember, when he got really flabby - that was him burning off the excess muscle.

By the way, did anyone else think that he actually should've won the posedown against Steiner? He just seemed in much better shape.

I hated when he got fat......I dont think he's ever looked as good again as he did 00-02.....came back after his second quad tear at SS looking totally flat.....hasn't looked amazing for a while....

• Paid Members

Got to be the shit matches. He was never an interesting promo (but acceptable if working opposite someone who could talk) but between 1999 and 2001, his matches more than made up for it. From when he came back in 2002 until 2004, his matches were nearly all terrible. Coupled with the fact the result wasn't in doubt, they were a waste of time.

Nothing positive springs to mind. The constant bad shit is embedded on my brain.

2004-05, he was excellent. Since 2006, his work has been good but the DX shit has been unbearable and far too big a feature of his character.

Be nice to see him back full-time, working as the sort of heel he was in 2000.

• Paid Members

I enjoyed the RR match vs Steiner, and was really shocked when I read some of the feedback on the net. That and the PPV match with Koslov (when he got his big undefeated push), I thought were both good, slow burning, old school type matches.

I don't really want to rewatch them for fear of being proved a dolt. Leave the memories alone.

I enjoyed the RR match vs Steiner, and was really shocked when I read some of the feedback on the net. That and the PPV match with Koslov (when he got his big undefeated push), I thought were both good, slow burning, old school type matches.

I don't really want to rewatch them for fear of being proved a dolt. Leave the memories alone.

There was a comment online at the time that Steiner gets so blown up, that when he takes a deep breath to suck some more oxygen in half the front row of the audience pass out :laugh:

It's not that bad as a I remember (I watched it again recently) but it was so much LESS than the hype built up. The live crowd do really shit on it though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiH9o-VvJf0

The night Evolution turned on Orton after the Benoit match.

As a one night deal in isolation, the angle and beatdown was superb. The thumbs down from HHH, and the "FUCK" from Orton were epic from what I remembered watching live.

BUT...

Why the fuck did they spunk it so soon after the title win? Orton won the title mid 2004. And one night later, he was out of the group. No slow burn, no build up of jealousy from HHH to Randy, no tension, no scheming, nothing. Just a beatdown and thats it. Obviously the angle and subsequent feud bombed and we ended up with HHH/Batista (which wasn't a bad thing), but the Orton deal could have been so much more.

A summer title win, tension through the autumn, a turn at the Rumble and then the match at Wrestlemania. I suppose we'll never know.

Archived