The worst thing about HHH between 2002-2004

NEWM

For probably the first time ever, I saw somebody in the Mania thread defending the Booker T/HHH WM19 match and actually saying how much they enjoyed it. I've long utterly despised virtually everything the H's did during this period (02-04 is obviously playing fast and loose, but you know which period I'm on about), and I think I just assumed the entire world agreed. So, to make it interesting, you are allowed to name only one thing you hated about Triple H around this time, but you can list as many good things as you can think of as you like. I wonder how easy it will be to narrow for the former down to one, and stretch your mind to think of more for the latter. To keep it proper, lets make the time frame from the his turn on Stephanie in 2002 through to Batista's face turn in early 2005. Maybe it will turn out that my memories are glossing over a lot of good stuff due to the red mist of hatred for his stuff.

Me, I hated how he ruined the Summerslam 03 Elimination Chamber. After a fucking horrendous start in which they completely anti-booked the superjew, they finally got it right at Summerslam. Big Bill blasts through the competition, sending the crowd fucking insane as they finally had a new hero who could dethrone the dreaded Hunter. 5 minutes later and he was tied up in the ropes enjoying a 15 minute beatdown to close the show. They had one shot to recover Goldberg, and that blew it.

Currently I can only think of one thing I like. When he destroyed the fucking idiotic Steve Austin sheriff character and his stupid toy badge in a promo that was there for no particular reason. Normally HHH did this to the midcarders, but it was nice to see that awful character bear the brunt instead.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The Scott Steiner thing. He didnt even bury Steiner in a clever way, where he just outworked it (like a Shawn Michaels would have done). He dragged both Steiner and himself to a bunch of rotten matches, which Steiner got the blame for. Two really shit matches, with someone they paid a load of money for and completely buried and exposed.

• Paid Members

That he was always champion despite not putting on any matches worthy of being the face of the company. He was so far away from his 2000 form, it was unbelievable. In fairness, he was plagued by ill fitness, but that did stem from him going overboard on the bodybuilding.

Either way, though, it's glaringly obvious to anyone who's followed his career that he more than made up for that period, and that of DX06, by being fucking top-notch in every other period of his main-event career. I actually miss him right now.

• Paid Members

Nothing. Triple H is amazing and his entire "reign of doom" was fantastic in every way. Fuck boring old Booker T and fuck lazy as fuck Rob Van Dam. Triple H and Evolution were the absolute highlight of WWE around this time.

I would go for the SummerSlam 2003 Elimination Chamber as well. It was bad enough that they went with him going over Goldberg in such a fashion (especially, as you say, as Goldberg had got himself back on track), but it was more to do with Triple H's shitty attitude at this time. His fat face, lack of facial hair, stupid trunks - everything about him was awful, and even he probably knew it.

Thankfully he managed to turn it around radically in 2005 with a stellar year.

I didnt mind the 2nd Goldberg match at Survivor Series 2003, the Nash Hell in a Cell was better than expected, oh and Evalution formed at this point.

Besides that he was terrible. If I have to name one thing, it was the fact that his match with Goldberg where he dropped the belt went long and exposed Goldberg's weaknesses, not nessacarily his fault, maybe the booking but that really annoyed me. It was a dull as dishwater match as well.

EDIT: Sorry for my original post, I didnt notice I had to name only one thing

I wouldn't have minded so much if he wasn't so boring in the ring for much of the time. I generally just wanna see good matches and Triple H just wasn't providing them for the most part, although looking back, many of the fueds were against wrestlers that weren't actually all that great. Outside of the HBK stuff of course.

Incidentally, one match which surprised me how good it was looking back at it was the RVD match from Unforgiven in 2002.

I never liked Goldberg. Yes, I know Triple H beating him at SS was probably bad for business, but from a selfish point of view I loved the surprise ending and the Evolution beatdown afterwards. It was like the endless nWo beatdowns on Nitro around 98/99 - totally counterproductive, but they looked cool as fuck. Besides, when they make commercially sound business decisions and let the babyfaces win all the time (like they have been in the PG era), I pretty much hate the end result.

As my answer to this one, then, I'm going to say the way he let his appearance go to seed for a few years in almost Hardy-esque fashion. I never particularly liked RVD, Kane, Booker, Goldberg or Orton, so Triple H could bury them all he wanted for all I cared, as long as he looked cool doing it. But he didn't. Part of the greatness of his rise in 99/2000 was the way he gradually went looking like a generic midcarder to someone you could genuinely believe might be able to kick fuck out of Stone Cold and Cactus Jack. All he looked like in 2003-5 though was a flabby mess, and every adjustment he made to his look made him look less like the dominant arse-kicker he booked himself to be. From shaving his beard off to reveal about 5 or 6 chins, to abandoning the painter/decorator double denim in favour of Alan Partidge polo shirts, to those ridiculous cycling shorts he wore while knacking Goldberg - just a load of weird, unnecessary changes that made him look like he was being styled by Gok Wan.

• Paid Members

The only thing I can think of is; I didnt like it when he started to wear purple and red trunks on PPV events, or his white boots. Should have just stuck to black all the time.

There is an amazing over-reaction to Triple H on the internet, but come on NEWM, your taking the piss. 2002-2005? I mean, I know a lot of people hated 2003, when he had to work with Booker, Steiner, Nash and Goldberg, but your going to start ripping on 02? His immense return at the Garden, the Royal Rumble match, cracker with Angle at No Way Out, under-rated matches with Hogan and then Jericho at Backlash and Judgement Day. Granted, a shit PPV blow off match, but an otherwise entertaining feud with Undertaker. Shawn's comeback match. The first Elimination Chamber. He was solid in all of that.

04? The first Raw of the year match with HBK that would probably be match of the year had they not overshadowed it at Mania 20. Good last man standing and Hell in a Cell matches with HBK. The aforementioned Mania main event, and Backlash rematch. Looking as cool as fuck all summer long with Evolution, with some classic 8man tag matches on Raw. His program with Eugene was all kinds of brilliant. His Iron Man match with Benoit was leagues better than the vastly over rated Angle/Lesnar one. His part in the Batista turn.

Triple H is one of the most underrated (by the IWC) of all time.

• Moderators
The only thing I can think of is; I didnt like it when he started to wear purple and red trunks on PPV events, or his white boots. Should have just stuck to black all the time.

That was my first thought as well. I fucking hated the purple trunks, and those white boots at WM just looked daft.

Actually, I quite liked that he started wearing different coloured trunks. I do concede that the white boots were a bit excessive and made him look like a pillock though. I remember him wearing them in the triple threat at WMXX, but when else did he wear them? RR '04 against Michaels?

There is an amazing over-reaction to Triple H on the internet, but come on NEWM, your taking the piss. 2002-2005? I mean, I know a lot of people hated 2003, when he had to work with Booker, Steiner, Nash and Goldberg, but your going to start ripping on 02? His immense return at the Garden, the Royal Rumble match, cracker with Angle at No Way Out, under-rated matches with Hogan and then Jericho at Backlash and Judgement Day. Granted, a shit PPV blow off match, but an otherwise entertaining feud with Undertaker. Shawn's comeback match. The first Elimination Chamber. He was solid in all of that.

04? The first Raw of the year match with HBK that would probably be match of the year had they not overshadowed it at Mania 20. Good last man standing and Hell in a Cell matches with HBK. The aforementioned Mania main event, and Backlash rematch. Looking as cool as fuck all summer long with Evolution, with some classic 8man tag matches on Raw. His program with Eugene was all kinds of brilliant. His Iron Man match with Benoit was leagues better than the vastly over rated Angle/Lesnar one. His part in the Batista turn.

Triple H is one of the most underrated (by the IWC) of all time.

2002 I thought was horrible for Hunter, I will agree with 2004.

One of the most underwelming Mania main events with Jericho, the critically bashed Kane feud, the matches with RVD were very dissapointing as well. By the end of the year he was far too muscle bound and injury prone, the 3 stages of hell with HBK is testament to that where he is a physical wreck. This was the first year his character began to get stale as well and the first time he became overbearing.

I felt the bad far outdid the good that year.

Archived