The Championship and Lower Leagues Thread 2011/2

patiirc

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Did you really need to go back and edit your West Ham for the title post? I thought it was one of your more sensible ones, personally.

I still think that, but thought I may as well start a new page with a new post and I forgot to put it back in, its only one game, and still fancy West Ham for the title though.

• Paid Members

Entered my friends' season prediction league last week. These were my football league picks:

Championship

Winners - West Ham

Runners-up - Forest

Play-off winners - Leicester

League One

Winners - Charlton

Runners Up - Huddersfield

Play-off winners - MK Dons

League Two

Winners - Bristol Rovers

Runners Up - Swindon Town

3rd place - Gillingham

Play-off winners - Northampton

Not a great start for my Championship picks but I thought West Ham looked much the better team, and Cardiff looked a good side too, and will get better. The goal was a disaster, Ilunga's mistake was bad enough but it wasn't a great hit from Miller and Green should have saved it comfortably.

Forest now gone 5 seasons without an opening day goal. Remarkable! I still think they'll do alright though.

Charlton, Swindon and Bristol Rovers had great starts. Gillingham started steadily. I think I must have been on drugs when I picked Northampton over Crawley. Huddersfield were lucky, there was a cast iron penalty and sending off at 0-0 that should have gone against them.

Oh I worked this out on Saturday:

50% (13 of 26) of League Two goals scored by debutants.

32% in League One (9 of 28).

42% in Championship (13 in 31).

Looks like we're very close to signing Wesley Verhoek. Could be one of the signings of the season in the Championship. It's created a lot of excitement around the fans the last few days.

How did Adebola and McKenna get on for Hull at the weekend, Rick?

• Paid Members
How did Adebola and McKenna get on for Hull at the weekend, Rick?

Adebola had a decent game but was injured right at the start of the second half. McKenna was pretty poor. Looked slow ad didn't pass like you'd expect. Everyone hated James Harper last season but many think he's better than McKenna. There's enough competition that he'll have to get his finger out.

Verhoek would be a hell of a signing, been expecting him to go to a mid-table PL club.

It's funny, with the role McKenna plays, people always expect him to be some sort of cultured midfielder picking out expert passes. His passing is actually shite. All he did for us most of last season was hoof it into the corners and point at people to chase it.

Adebola should do a good job for you still, although shouldn't really be a starter nowadays. Have you got injuries up front?

• Paid Members
Adebola should do a good job for you still, although shouldn't really be a starter nowadays. Have you got injuries up front?

Aaron McLean was injured for the first game. Simpson made the bench but was injured in the warm up so wasn't considered for starting. To be honest, Adebola is way fitter than I thought he'd be. He was offered easier work in pre-season and turned it down. Cracking pro, hope he works out for us.

• Paid Members

Some great upsets tonight. How unlucky where Notts County though? Conceded a 123rd minute equaliser and then lost on pens! Heartbreaking.

We were dogshit. Still, no loss to be out of a competition that the FA deems worthy of holding while 6 players are on international duty!

Archived