Women's Wrestling: A Critique

Mr. Seven

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As awful as that match sounds I have really enjoyed the SMASH shows I have seen (keep in mind I loved HUSTLE) and hopefully that match was just a bump in the road because based on what I have seen so far (SMASH 14 I think was the most recent show I own) that match seems out of place even for them.

How come Freaky et al have stayed away from what is the first decent discussion thread on women's wrestling in ages here? I thought they were passionate about women's wrestling? Is that tacit acceptance of Nev's original statement, or does the discussion of TNA/WWE female performers not count for some reason?

How come Freaky et al have stayed away from what is the first decent discussion thread on women's wrestling in ages here? I thought they were passionate about women's wrestling? Is that tacit acceptance of Nev's original statement, or does the discussion of TNA/WWE female performers not count for some reason?

I would hazard to guess that it's because a lot of people in this thread have strongly negative opinions about women's wrestling, and clearly no amount of discussion is going to change their mind. In fact, some in this thread think they should be vilified for having some positivity about it. No one likes to be put on trial over their personal preferences.

Pretty ridiculous attitude to have if that's the case. I'd expect it from the likes of SBA and AJS69 who wouldn't be able to properly articulate themselves if their lives depended on it, but it is strange not to have any presence of the Ringbelles crew in this thread. Freaky did PM me, for what it's worth.

I would hazard to guess that it's because a lot of people in this thread have strongly negative opinions about women's wrestling, and clearly no amount of discussion is going to change their mind. In fact, some in this thread think they should be vilified for having some positivity about it. No one likes to be put on trial over their personal preferences.

I don't think that's necessarily true, I haven't analysed every post in this thread but the consensus earlier on seemed to be that womens wrestling can be good if promoters take it seriously by hiring the right talent and booking them properly. Unfortunately the biggest and most watched wrestling promotion in the (western) world has decided that looks take priority over talent which brings us nicely to the predicament the sport is now in. Until the flagship promotion decides to take women seriously nothing will ever change.

Pretty ridiculous attitude to have if that's the case. I'd expect it from the likes of SBA and AJS69 who wouldn't be able to properly articulate themselves if their lives depended on it, but it is strange not to have any presence of the Ringbelles crew in this thread. Freaky did PM me, for what it's worth.

I think it's just at a point where there didn't used to be that many places to discuss women's wrestling so those people who would in the past take part in threads like this over the last few years now have a shed load of other sites (especially since Diva Dirt came about) where they can discuss female wrestling in a manor more choosing to them. Or perhaps some people don't feel the need to contribute to threads like this especially if their opinion is already known and it feels like they're just repeating themselves. This thread / topic does come up (it seems) fairly often after all.

I think this thread does raise some good points although none new whatsoever. I do believe some people are so obsessed with women's wrestling that to them almost anything involving a woman is great BUT you get the same thing with a number of people who are massive fans of any individual wrestler. To them there is nothing they can do that is wrong.

End of the day you just judge it by what you enjoy. I DO maintain there are a number of women who put on better shows and matches then a lot of men. If I didn't believe that then Emily and I wouldn't be running EVE. TBH the majority of people in this thread won't have seen those matches or shows because if they're not a fan of something why would they spend the money to go see it or buy the DVDs?

I will give an example though of women stealing the show and having the best match, at the XWA War On The Shore show from a few weeks back pretty much everyone in attendance agreed the best match on the show was the EVE title match between Jenny Sjodin and Britani Knight. And XWA is no shit-arse show and as a lot of people know put on some of the best shows the UK indie scene has to offer featuring talent such as Stixx, Rockstar Spud, Joey Hayes, El Ligero, Alex Shane, Jonny Phere, Sam Slam, Nathan Cruz etc. These were also not 'hardcore / smart marks / IWC members' in attendance either.

Really it just depends on what/who you see. There's a lot of shit female talent just like there's a lot of shit male talent. It's just because people see so little of the girls as oppose to the guys the general consensus at the end of the night / show would be that women's wrestling is rubbish if what you saw was one women's match. Most promotions don't spend any decent money bringing good female talent in so they'll just use who's free OR local. Then because most shows only have one women's match on then what you'll get is probably going to be a shitarse match. So how do those people who have no positive experience of women's wrestling then get exposed to the good product when they're obviously going to have no interest in going out of their way to do?

Which sport?

The sport of professional females sports entertainment-ing :D

If I didn't believe that then Emily and I wouldn't be running EVE.

I have a question; As the owner of a female-centric wrestling promotion do you find it difficult to convince potential customers to come to your shows? You're essentially selling a niche market (womens wrestling) within a niche market (British wrestling), do you find yourself and your roster having to work ten times harder because of the stigma that female wrestling has attached to it?

I have a question; As the owner of a female-centric wrestling promotion do you find it difficult to convince potential customers to come to your shows? You're essentially selling a niche market (womens wrestling) within a niche market (British wrestling), do you find yourself and your roster having to work ten times harder because of the stigma that female wrestling has attached to it?

Yup. It's ignorance through clich

People will give a fuck if they're given a reason to. I'm emotionally invested in Velvet Sky because she's involved in storylines that make me root for her and want her to win, he matches aren't great but I'm interested in the progression of the story. I'm not emotionally invested in Kelly Kelly or Alicia Fox because despite being no more competent in the ring than Velvet they're not actually doing anything besides having pointless throwaway matches that are painful to watch.

Yup. It's ignorance through clich

• Paid Members

Exactly. Wrestling in general is hard to justify liking to your average bloke on the street, let alone women's wrestling. At least you can use the "its funny and its entertainment" when your watching Rock or Cena. There really is no way to convince people you arent watching women wrestling because girls in small shorts rolling around on the floor. Especially on the independent circuit. At least WWE markets it as a side show for what your paying for. 70 people in a leisure centre watching two women wrestling is a bit off putting to your average punter. I wouldnt dare admit to it, to my lass. "Where you off?" "I'm off out to watch a few lasses have a pretend fight in small outfits". "You can fucking get back here, instead" I dont think Germaine Greer had Shimmer in mind when standing up for women's rights.

Archived