Women's Wrestling: A Critique

Mr. Seven

If I didn't believe that then Emily and I wouldn't be running EVE.

I have a question; As the owner of a female-centric wrestling promotion do you find it difficult to convince potential customers to come to your shows? You're essentially selling a niche market (womens wrestling) within a niche market (British wrestling), do you find yourself and your roster having to work ten times harder because of the stigma that female wrestling has attached to it?

Yup. It's ignorance through clich

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Exactly. Wrestling in general is hard to justify liking to your average bloke on the street, let alone women's wrestling. At least you can use the "its funny and its entertainment" when your watching Rock or Cena. There really is no way to convince people you arent watching women wrestling because girls in small shorts rolling around on the floor. Especially on the independent circuit. At least WWE markets it as a side show for what your paying for. 70 people in a leisure centre watching two women wrestling is a bit off putting to your average punter. I wouldnt dare admit to it, to my lass. "Where you off?" "I'm off out to watch a few lasses have a pretend fight in small outfits". "You can fucking get back here, instead" I dont think Germaine Greer had Shimmer in mind when standing up for women's rights.

I understand where you're coming from and you're right in a a number of things that you say - imagine trying to explain to mothers that this is a product suitable for their whole family (trust me, I have - more often than not you get the expected reply, but not always) ? But this is why I'm glad The 'Kids Go Free' gimmick that we have on our EVE shows seems to have been doing the trick which is just as well as that was our attempt to combat that obvious response from families. There are more and more families attending our Sudbury event with each passing show and believe it or not it's actually the parents/kids spending more on merch (at the shows) than the travelling fans.

Exactly. Wrestling in general is hard to justify liking to your average bloke on the street, let alone women's wrestling. At least you can use the "its funny and its entertainment" when your watching Rock or Cena. There really is no way to convince people you arent watching women wrestling because girls in small shorts rolling around on the floor. Especially on the independent circuit. At least WWE markets it as a side show for what your paying for. 70 people in a leisure centre watching two women wrestling is a bit off putting to your average punter. I wouldnt dare admit to it, to my lass. "Where you off?" "I'm off out to watch a few lasses have a pretend fight in small outfits". "You can fucking get back here, instead" I dont think Germaine Greer had Shimmer in mind when standing up for women's rights.

Is there really a difference between two blokes rolling around wearing next-to-nothing, and two women doing the same thing? I'm mean, you right, in the real world we live in there's an automatic sexual stigma attached to women's wrestling, but is it really a fair one? Drawbacks of a male-centric audience, I guess. To a certain extent do we view all women as objects of potential sexual pleasure?

Someone mentioned why the Ringbelles guys didn't come onto this thread.

I believe I said earlier that the Original Post was a blatant call out of both of them in particular, and a few things directed to myself and SBA, and no doubt if Freaky and $tew came on here, they would most likely get the same scorn both myself and Dann Read got, and am sure they don't care what people on here think, if you don't like there site, don't go on it.

Also as has been shown in several threads before hand and this one here, that there are two things which are clear on the subject of womens wrestling.

One- Most of the people on this forum have deeply entrenched views, including some stereotypes, and no amount of evidence will change these views and stereotypes/

Two- There is nothing new to this debate, just like the threads on If British Wrestling can be popular again, we are just going in circles.

Lets put this debate to bed, and agree to disagree.

Re: AJS69:

"Call out" ? This isn't an episode of Raw you freak. You get scorn because you deserve it, what with your alarming stalking habits and refusal to ever give a straight answer. As for your white-flag waving, cop the fuck on. You're a hardcore women's wrestling fan, so why not explain what I (and others) are missing, instead of throwing out a pathetic victim complex?

"Call out" ? This isn't an episode of Raw you freak. You get scorn because you deserve it, what with your alarming stalking habits and refusal to ever give a straight answer. As for your white-flag waving, cop the fuck on. You're a hardcore women's wrestling fan, so why not explain what I (and others) are missing, instead of throwing out a pathetic victim complex?

So I've been reading a bit of Ringbelles lately, the site run by the UKFF's very own freaky and $tew. I've been a bit critical of it, but I'd like to feel my criticism has been constructive. While I'm sure some people will dismiss this thread as trolling, I'd like to clarify in advance that I am genuinely fascinated by, what I believe is, the cult that embraces women's wrestling as if it's some oppressed art form. With that in mind, I'd really like the input and debate from freaky and $tew in this thread, and from noted hardcore fans SBA, AJS69 and others

So the part where you specifically ask for Freaky and $tews input isn't a call out? How about the part where you ask for SBA and myself to input in the debate? And then when one of us gives it, you attack them.

And to answer the question. I am a fan of womens wrestling, because I find it enjoyable to watch, which is why anyone watches any type of wrestling. Is that a good enough answer for you?

Because you seem to have already decided what the answer is, and won't believe it when anyone says anything else, even if its true or not.

Also when have I ever "Stalked" anyone? Please tell me you aren't talking about two tweets of 18 I sent in a conversation with a friend who happens to be a female wrestler on twitter, that someone decided to bring up on this forum.

And as for my "White Flag waving", this thread has gone like any other thread involving womens wrestling, its the same old arguments, the same people making the same tired points. There has never been a "back and forth" debate because anyone who is in favour of womens wrestling is insulted.

Also on another point, tbh I'm haven't been a fan of Mickie James for a while, since she's been in TNA I thinks its become clear that the reason she's looked any good has been the dross surrounding her in WWE.

lol I would love it if you said Seven's thread was crap to his face etc.

Even I'll admit I deserved that one, :laugh:

And I didn't say it was crap, I just said it was the same as any other womens wrestling thread.

• Paid Members

"Call out" ? This isn't an episode of Raw you freak.

So the part where you specifically ask for Freaky and $tews input isn't a call out?

I think his point wasn't that your input wasn't requested, but that "call out" is a terrible Americanized challenge for a physical presence.

"Call out" ? This isn't an episode of Raw you freak.

So the part where you specifically ask for Freaky and $tews input isn't a call out?

I think his point wasn't that your input wasn't requested, but that "call out" is a terrible Americanized challenge for a physical presence.

Ah, right. My mistake.

Archived