UFC 132:Cruz vs Faber II Discussion Thread

David

ImageUd001.jpg

Dominick Cruz vs. Urijah Faber (for bantamweight title)

Wanderlei Silva vs. Chris Leben

Ryan Bader vs. Tito Ortiz

Carlos Condit vs. Dong Hyun Kim

Dennis Siver vs. Matt Wiman

Melvin Guillard vs. Shane Roller+

Rafael dos Anjos vs. George Sotiropoulos+

Brian Bowles vs. Takeya Mizugaki*

Aaron Simpson vs. Brad Tavares*

Anthony Njokuani vs. Andre Winner*

Jeff Hougland vs. Donny Walker*

+SpikeTV prelims

*Unaired prelims

In complete contrast to the 131 card, this event is packed full of great fights. The main event will be a superb little encounter, especially with a title on the line. We get the return of Wanderlei, against someone who will have no problem throwing down with him, Ryan Bader coming back from his first loss facing that chump Tito, and the return of Dennis Siver, who is one of my favourite fighters.

We even get Shane Roller & Sotiropoulos in the Spike prelims, along with Mizugaki, Winner & Swanson in the unaired prelims.

A superb event! Let's hope we don't get any call-offs before it happens!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Silva/Leben & Siver/Wiman is worth it alone, with Cruz & Faber on top this is going to be one worth staying up for. The only match on there that gets a meh from me is Ortiz/Bader. It's going to be a very one sided demolition job I think, although it's always nice to see Ortiz get his face punched in.

• Paid Members

Don't forget this card is the same night as the Haye-Klitschko fight too. What a night that's gonna be :)

Really can't wait for this one. Absolutely stacked.

Wand/Leben is gonna be nuts. It's either gonna be a vicious KO or a 3 round war like Wand vs Chuck.

Cruz vs Faber 2 is a really intriguing rematch too, Cruz has improved a ton since the first fight and the history there should make the build up to this interesting.

Condit/Stun Gun, Siver/Wiman, Guillard/Roller, Sot/Dos Anjos. All potential FOTN contenders. The unaired prelims look great too especially Njokuani vs Winner and Bowles vs Mizugaki. No doubt they'll get Facebooked.

So yeah on paper at least this is looking like potentially the card of 2011.

This looks like a great card. What do the asterisks and plus signs mean? Facebook and Spike TV fights?

Packed card if George Hopadopolis is relgated to Spike TV, and former WEC champ Bowles relegated to Facebook. Crazy that this one is so stacked and UFC 131 so weak.

Bowles on the unaired prelims makes little sense as the guy is probably the win away from getting the next title shot (especially if Cruz beats Faber, which I expect him to). Add to that how he lost the belt to Cruz and it does appear an odd positioning choice. Maybe they have already earmarked Demetrious Johnson as the top contender, or they are just going to keep giving Urijah shots until he eventually gets the win!

They could take the undercard of 132 and swap it with the main card of 131 (bar the JDS vs Lesnar main event) and we'd have two great cards, with 132 still edging it out a little. I'm a huge Sotiropoulos fan and was devastated watching him lose at 127, so looking forward to that fight. Stann vs Leben should be a fantastic war, hoping Faber has a more exciting fight this time, and we have Tito Ortiz's last chance in the UFC. Golden card, absolutely golden.

• 4 weeks later...

Just came across this on BJ Penns twitter. UFC 132 gets last minute bantam weight addition I've got to be honest I'm not familiar with either fighter but they're both riding good win streaks. I'm really looking forward to this card, on paper it looks like it could be one of the best shows of the year. Leben vs Silva should be a war, there's the title fight in which Cruz will be looking to avenge his only loss. Then there's Carlos Condit vs Dong Hyun Kim, both guys are on a three fight winning streak and looking to get into the title picture. Brian Bowels, George Sotiropoulos, and Guillard all in action on the undercard, I can't wait!!

As wandshotgun has put above the Haye fight is the night of this so I sadly wont be watching the Facebook prelims which look great.

The main event is interesting, Cruz looked the real deal last time out so I am picking him to avenge his loss. I am a big Faber fan, but I think Cruz is better standing these days and has improved whilst Faber is still the same fighter he was hen they fought years ago.

I would love Tito to win but all logic points to Bader dominating and winning a lopsided decsion.

I think Silva will beat Leben, Leben has a heck of a chin but I dont think it will stand up to Wandy shots. I wouldnt be shocked if Leben clips him and gets a flash KO but I favor Wandy, he looked great at 185 last time against Bisping. Shame about the lay off.

I like Condit big over Kim. Kim got a disputed points win over Nate Diaz last time out and Condit is the forgotten man at 170, completly underated and under the radar. Condit wins handily I think by being pretty much better everywhere.

Siver vs Wiman is tough. It all depends on wheather Siver can stuff Wiman's takedowns. Wiman is physically stronger than G-Sop but Siver has improved his TDD a lot. Tough call.

Awesome card, the Spike prelims are both top quality as well. As the last two PPV events have flopped at the Box Office I hope this card sells on the fact it is so stacked and value for money, despite no massive drawing cards.

• Paid Members
I think Silva will beat Leben, Leben has a heck of a chin but I dont think it will stand up to Wandy shots. I wouldnt be shocked if Leben clips him and gets a flash KO but I favor Wandy, he looked great at 185 last time against Bisping. Shame about the lay off.

I hope you're right but I'm not sure, mainly due to how long Wand's been on the shelf and how the injury will effect him.

If you look back over Wanderlei's career he's never really been out for any serious length of time with injuries, which is amazing when you look at who he's fought and the style he has. This is the first time he's coming back from a long injury-caused layoff. I'm hoping the time off did him good but we'll see.

Style wise this really is a toss up. They both throw bombs and both have good chins. I see it thrown around that Wand's chin is gone but his 3 bad KO losses were to prime Cro Cop, Hendo and Rampage and all were shots that would put anyone out. In the last few years he's gone the distance with Chuck Liddell and Rich Franklin and took some good shots and never went down.

And like you say the performance vs Bisping was very encouraging. Whether people like Bisping or not it's hard to argue he's not top 5 at middleweight in the UFC so for Wand to beat him his first time at the weight is pretty impressive and shows he has something left in the tank.

I'm 50/50 on this fight prediction wise. But I'll probably pick Leben to win simply because I think he actually might have slightly heavier hands. Would fucking love to see an old school Wand KO via knees from the Thai clinch :D

• Paid Members

just to illustrate my point on Wanderlei's chin

CroCopKOsWanderlei-1.gif

SLOMOHendersonKOsWanderlei.gif

RampageKOsWandy.gif

seriously who the fuck wouldn't have gone to sleep from them shots?

I like Leben but I'm really hoping we see this on July 2nd

silva-leben.jpg

yes :)

• Paid Members

The main card is truely stacked but to be honest I'm looking forward to the Spike prelims a little more. Guilllard and Sotiropolous are two of my favourite guys. Can't wait for these fights.

As far as the main show I can't pick between Faber and Cruz it's gonna be awesome regardless though. I'm really hoping for a Tito win. Don't particularly like the guy but I cant really get behind Bader. He's a very bland. Plus I feel if Tito loses I feel that's his last, I don't like his chances. I fancy Leben over Wanderlei, who isn't the same fighter and coming off a bit of a lay off. Hoping Condit can stay away from Stun Gun and land something purdy. Siver/Wiman should be a fun one.

Stacked show!

Archived