UFC 131 - Dos Santos vs Carwin Discussion Thread

David

As for the Stout fight, should be a belter. I'd say Stout is slightly better technically on the feet but like jimufctna says lacks a little in power. I'd give Yves the nod in power and deffo on the ground.

4.gif

:blush: Okay never mind.

That is what you get for agreeing with me :laugh:

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Am I the only one who would like to see Lesnar vs Carwin II after that main event last night? We were onto a cracker in the 1st fight before Carwin gassed out.

I second this. However i think Carwin needs a fight in the mean time as Brocks out till the new year. Maybe Roy Nelson or Travis Browne

• Paid Members

first off, thought the card was excellent. It was solid from top to bottom. Few thoughts:

* Beltran/Rosa was a wild little fight. Beltran is quickly becoming a fan favourite. He's basically a throwback fighter, he's a street fighter who's learned a little wrestling but he brings it every single time. Aaron Rosa probably made this a lot harder than it needed to be, but all credit...they duked the fucker out. Rosa will be back, no doubt.

* Edwards/Stout...the scariest KO ive seen is some time. I was watching with my girlfriend at this point and she though Edwards was dead, she even looked it up online to see if he was still alive hahahaha. Scary stuff. The fight never really got going but that finish was insane. I don't know if Edwards comes back from that. Stout has no power?

* Cerrone/Rocha: started well but Cerrone's conservative pace put a dampener on it. Cerrone has been known for kind of labouring along in the past and it hurt him here. He dominated but in round 3 Rocha was a sitting duck and Cerrone just didn't pull the trigger.

* Herman/Einemo was fucking wild! This thing went back and forth, i don't think either guy looked overly great but when somethings to back and forth it's impossible to not be entertained. Herman's gas is a massive problem, he looks fit but he loses his wind quickly. Herman/Beltran will do me.

* Maia/Munoz was a really good fight, the crowd kinda went to sleep half way through but it was a good battle. Maia looked like a million bucks in round 1 but Munoz clawed it back. I had it 29-28 for Maia but it was super close. 30-27? what.

* JDS/Carwin was as we expected, i didn't see it going 3 rounds and Carwin quickly erased any doubts i had about his chin. But this was simply a case of one man being a far superior boxer than the other. It stayed intsense because Carwin's got a fight ending power but this was one sided stuff, Carwin got smashed.

• Paid Members
Personally i thought carwins will was destoryed early on but Dos Santos, but judging Dos santos performance against Roy Nelson and Shane Carwin. I have a feeling Cains gunna walk straight through Dos Santos

I've said all along that I think Cain would beat JDS but I don't buy that anyone 'walks through' Dos Santos.

He's wrecked everyone and then just because he goes the distance in 2 fights people see that as weakness. He's faced some really tough opponents and has battered all of em, finishing all but his last 2. Not one of his UFC fights have even been close. Look at the list of guys JDS has faced and it's all tough guys.

This reminds me of when people were knocking Cain for not finishing Kongo. You can't just blow everyone out in a round.

JDS has excellent stand up, a good chin, speed, good takedown defence and decent takedowns. Plus his BJJ is said to be really good too and training under the Nogueira's and with the likes of Anderson, Maia etc you'd better learn quick or you could lose a limb.

Like I say though I'd favour Cain but not by much. Cain's stand up is top notch, great combos, mixes up his striking better than JDS, good chin. I think he'd have more success with takedowns too. Carwin's shots are pretty slow in comparison to Cain's or Brock's imo. And Cain sets them up better. JDS is good at getting back up though and on the feet fuck knows. I'd give JDS the edge in boxing and a slight edge in power but Cain is probably quicker and better with his combos/kicks and knees etc.

Fucking great fight. The 2 best HW's in MMA in 2011 bar none for me.

As for the Stout fight, should be a belter. I'd say Stout is slightly better technically on the feet but like jimufctna says lacks a little in power. I'd give Yves the nod in power and deffo on the ground.

4.gif

:blush: Okay never mind.

That is what you get for agreeing with me :laugh:

:D I won't do it again. Nah seriously we were right, Stout had to go and fuck it up making us look stupid with his previously-never-seen-before-one-punch KO power. Prick.

• Paid Members
Am I the only one who would like to see Lesnar vs Carwin II after that main event last night? We were onto a cracker in the 1st fight before Carwin gassed out.

I second this. However i think Carwin needs a fight in the mean time as Brocks out till the new year. Maybe Roy Nelson or Travis Browne

Carwin vs Lesnar 2 would be great but yeah with Brock out I'm guessing we'll get Carwin/Nelson next. That was meant to happen at UFC 125 back in Jan so they'll probably just go with that now.

Guessing Mir will fight the winner of Nog/Schaub and then they'll have Brock vs either Carwin or Mir again on his return if they both win.

* Edwards/Stout...the scariest KO ive seen is some time. I was watching with my girlfriend at this point and she though Edwards was dead, she even looked it up online to see if he was still alive hahahaha. Scary stuff. The fight never really got going but that finish was insane. I don't know if Edwards comes back from that. Stout has no power?

:blush: to be fair though who saw that coming? Stout has never shown that kind of finishing ability before. Usually you see Stout's name on a card and think 'thats gonna be a 3 round war' cos he never usually finishes just blasts away and gives as good as he gets.

Really pleased to see him get a good KO on his resume though.

Cerrone has said he wants to fight Stout next. How fucking good would that be?

Carwin vs Lesnar 2 would be great but yeah with Brock out I'm guessing we'll get Carwin/Nelson next. That was meant to happen at UFC 125 back in Jan so they'll probably just go with that now.

That fight would probably suit Dana right down to the ground. If Nelson comes in out of shape like he did against Mir he'll get knocked out, which will likely result in a release.

Did anyone have any bets on this show? I picked out some fights on william hill but the accumulated odds were pretty awful so I didn't bother. I was just wondering what bookmakers is best for mma bets? cheers

Carwin's in a pretty interesting position now. He mowed through everyone until he got to Brock but just hasn't looked the same since the end of the first round of that fight. He didn't look at all happy as soon as he saw JDS across the Octagon. Maybe that's just how scary JDS is, but I feel like the loss to Brock (and particularly the fact that Brock survived the onslaught) may have really rattled his confidence.

JDS on the other hand looks like a handful for pretty much anyone. I'm not sure about the Velasquez fight. If he can keep it standing, I think he has the edge because his reach is so much greater. I'm not sure he can stuff Cain's takedowns though, or get up easily once Cain gets on top of him. The deciding factor may be just how good his jiu jitsu really is.

Oh, and to whoever said that referees are doing a job to help the company build fights - shut the fuck up. The referees are independent. Do you think they're thinking "oh yeah, I'll let Shane Carwin suffer brain damage because it might mean they'll use me on more of the British shows"? The Brock/Carwin match was not close to a finish because Brock, although getting hit pretty hard a few times, was still defending himself very intelligently. In the Carwin/JDS fight, Carwin's defence was less effective, but JDS wasn't landing very hard with many of those shots. It just looked bad because his nose was broken (before he went down) and he got sliced under his eye. These guys are used to getting hit and the referees mostly know what they're doing. I think in big fights there's a slight inclination towards giving the guys as much chance as possible to escape even when they've turtled up and aren't doing much to avoid shots, but that's not the same as letting guys take a beating when a fight should be stopped because they're conspiring with Zuffa.

As far as i'm concerned as long as the guy is conscious and defending in some way the fight should go on...only if the fighter is out and drops his hands should the fight be stopped...this is cage fighting god dammit not ballet

As far as i'm concerned as long as the guy is conscious and defending in some way the fight should go on...only if the fighter is out and drops his hands should the fight be stopped...this is cage fighting god dammit not ballet

I think we all experienced are own little ballet today.

A ballet of emotion and feelings...

Archived