UFC 131 - Dos Santos vs Carwin Discussion Thread

David

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Personally I do think Yves' best days are behind him. He came dangerously close to losing to a TUF rookie. I'll say Stout by a grinding decision.

grinding decision? when have you ever seen Sam Stout take someone down a grind out anyone? it's gonna be a technical standup war.

• Paid Members

Yves is an early favourite of mine from when I first got into MMA. Ever since I saw him almost behead Josh Thomson with one of the most amazing headkicks ever I liked him from then on.

As for the Stout fight, should be a belter. I'd say Stout is slightly better technically on the feet but like jimufctna says lacks a little in power. I'd give Yves the nod in power and deffo on the ground.

I've got Stout to win by decision. In his usual manner of standing and striking then trying to nick the rounds with takedowns at the end of each round. Yves could sub him though if he overcommits.

Could be the show stealer.

Personally I do think Yves' best days are behind him. He came dangerously close to losing to a TUF rookie. I'll say Stout by a grinding decision.

grinding decision? when have you ever seen Sam Stout take someone down a grind out anyone? it's gonna be a technical standup war.

Damn, I had Stout confused with someone else entirely. Watched the Stout vs Lauzon fight which for some reason I thought was contested on the ground for 3 rounds, must have mixed it with a different Lauzon fight. Looking much more forward to that fight with Yves now. :)

• Paid Members

Few quick main card predictions

Junior Dos Santos vs Shane Carwin

Can't see this going past the first. Carwin's dropped a lot of weight, probably to try and fix his cardio issues. Be interesting to see if it effects his power. Carwin has been out for a while. I know JDS has too but that was for TUF so he was still training and has been training for a while for Cain, then Brock, now Carwin. Carwin was out injured so he'd have been inactive for a while.

I think JDS is the better boxer. Quicker on his feet, better combos, hits hard and has a good chin. I've never been sure of Carwin's chin, he hits like a truck but his boxing looks a bit stiff sometimes and I can see JDS landing first.

Carwin has the wrestling but I think if he was planning to wrestle and bully JDS he wouldn't have dropped so much weight. Could be wrong but that's my gut feeling. Think him slimming down is for cardio and possibly speed.

Should be fireworks for a couple of minutes and whoever lands the bomb first will likely end it.

Dos Santos KO/TKO Round 1

Kenny Florian vs Diego Nunes

I'm picking the upset here. Nunes is a good wrestler and can smother a guy and frustrate the fuck out of him. Exactly the kind of opponent Kenny struggles with. Plus it's Kenny's first time at 145 where Nunes is settled in at the weight and in good form.

Part of me thinks Kenny might look great but he's unproven at 145 and Nunes is a difficult introduction to the weight class. Just got a feeling Nunes is gonna fuck up the UFC's Aldo/Florian fight.

Nunes decision

Dave Herman vs Jon Olav Einemo

This is the hardest one to call for me but I'll go with Herman simply because he seems legit and Einemo hasn't fought since '06. It's a big ask. His only loss was to Werdum and he did well in that one but he hasn't fought anyone else of note and his biggest win was James Thompson :D Still you never know he's a serious threat on the ground.

I'll go Herman KO/TKO Round 2

Demian Maia vs Mark Munoz

Tough one to call. If Munoz can land something big he could finish it. Think Maia will be too crafty for him though. Maia's stand up's improved a lot to the point where he held his own against Kendall Grove and Mario Miranda who are decent/good strikers.

Maia's wrestling is underrated too, obviously not on the level of Munoz but he's shown great takedowns vs Miranda (good wrestler) and the throw on Sonnen. I can see Maia finding a way to trip, sweep or drag Munoz to the ground and then it's just a matter of time.

Maia Submission Round 2

Donald Cerrone vs Vagner Rocha

Never seen Rocha fight but he's a BJJ blackbelt and 6-1 MMA. Most of his wins are subs. I'll go with the Cowboy to oustrike him and get the win.

Cerrone decision

For the shit this card's getting looking at that main card I don't see a bad fight there on paper. Looking forward to it not to mention the prelims. I'm picking Stout and Weidman on the prelims.

Can't see this going past the first. Carwin's dropped a lot of weight, probably to try and fix his cardio issues. Be interesting to see if it effects his power. Carwin has been out for a while. I know JDS has too but that was for TUF so he was still training and has been training for a while for Cain, then Brock, now Carwin. Carwin was out injured so he'd have been inactive for a while.

Stating the obvious there man! I'd be very surprised if this fight goes into a second frame!

• Paid Members

I forgot that this was the countdown Heyman was involved with. There wasn't much difference but you could definately see that Carwin was reading off a script. The countdowns have got to the point now where i only really like it was when a new fighter is featured (in this case Nunes and Mu

• Paid Members

Although 131 has been one of the most panned cards in recent memory pre-fight there's no denying that this is one of the hardest fight cards to predict in my opinion. I don't think there's a single lock on the main card. Usually names jump out at me but i just ain't getting that with this card, anyone else agree?

• Paid Members
Countdown Show. I think this is the show where Paul Heyman coached Shane Carwin beforehand. Another thing of note is GSP's cameo, where he shows more personality in about ten seconds than he ever has before.

You could definitely see an improvement in Carwin, in his pacing and delivery. GSP cracked me up aswell, more of that please.

• Paid Members

Stating the obvious there man! I'd be very surprised if this fight goes into a second frame!

haha yeah seems obvious but you never know. Remember before Chuck vs Wandy everyone was going 'no way this goes to a decision' or Cro Cop vs Barry when Dana said 'you're not gonna see anyone go for submissions' :laugh:

for all we know they might pull a Sylvia/Arlovski 3 and circle around looking at each other (hope not). But yeah smart money would be on this one being done before Arianny picks up the 2 card.

Archived