UFC 131 - Dos Santos vs Carwin Discussion Thread

David

• Paid Members

full press conference is on UFC's Youtube channel

Dana's second video blog here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue3GOjxFoI8

and Ariel Helwani has his usual pre fight interviews up on MMAFighting.com. Anyone seen the Carwin one? Ariel asks him about steroids and Carwin looks flustered for a sec. Respect to Ariel for asking the tough questions but fuck he's pissing a lot of fighters off lately.

here's the Carwin interview

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/06/08/shan...-against-junio/

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

yeh, it sounds like Rocha's coming to fight. Could be a good one. I know Cerrone's saying he won't underestimate him but there's gotta be a little in Cerrone that thinks hes just gonna blow through this guy. Could cost him.

What's everyone's opinion on Einemo? it's without doubt one of the weirdest signings in recent years. Einemo was nowhere a top level guy back in the day and only has 7 fights on his record. He has the BJJ resume to fall back on, but for the UFC to sign a heavyweight who hasn't fought for 4 years and to lump him straight onto the main card is pretty weird. I've read that Einemo is the main training partner of Allistair Overeem which gives me some hope, but it's a weird f'n move no doubt.

Really interested to see how Dave Herman looks too...for those that don't know, Herman started getting hyped online a few years ago when he was wrecking shop on the local circuit despite claiming to have never trained a day of MMA in his life. It cost him when he stepped up in opposition but he's training full time now, and for someone with that much natural talent he could become a contender.

• Paid Members

Yeah Einemo's an odd one to predict on this card. I was surprised they signed him coming off a 5 year layoff.

He did pretty well vs Werdum from what I remember but he hasn't really fought anyone else that good so we don't know if he's for real. Werdum was a tough fight but it was a style he was comfortable with being a grappler. It remains to be seen how he copes with a really dangerous striker.

He's trained with Overeem a lot like you say and he's meant to have sparred a lot with Kharitonov too so he's doing the right things to help his striking.

I'm picking Herman just because he's been more active and if he can keep it on the feet he should have a big advantage. But Einemo's a real question mark. He might have improved big time if he's been training seriously in his absence.

• Paid Members

its one of the reasons why im saying this is the hardest card to predict in some time.

Dos Santos/Carwin - no matter who you think's gonna win, there's no denying that either guy can finish this in the blink of an eye.

Florian/Nunes - Who knows how well Florian will adapt to 145?

Einemo/Herman - Who fucking knows!?!

Cerrone/Rocha - Rocha's an unknown commodity but he's confident, so this is tough to call.

Munoz/Maia - both guys have 1 significant advantage, it's a case of who can impose their will. 50/50 for me.

• Paid Members

Exactly. People are bashing this card I think mainly because it's not that heavy on names but when all the fights are toss ups it makes for exciting viewing. I've made my picks but I'm nowhere near confident in any of them.

• Paid Members
yeh, it sounds like Rocha's coming to fight. Could be a good one. I know Cerrone's saying he won't underestimate him but there's gotta be a little in Cerrone that thinks hes just gonna blow through this guy. Could cost him.

What's everyone's opinion on Einemo? it's without doubt one of the weirdest signings in recent years. Einemo was nowhere a top level guy back in the day and only has 7 fights on his record. He has the BJJ resume to fall back on, but for the UFC to sign a heavyweight who hasn't fought for 4 years and to lump him straight onto the main card is pretty weird. I've read that Einemo is the main training partner of Allistair Overeem which gives me some hope, but it's a weird f'n move no doubt.

Really interested to see how Dave Herman looks too...for those that don't know, Herman started getting hyped online a few years ago when he was wrecking shop on the local circuit despite claiming to have never trained a day of MMA in his life. It cost him when he stepped up in opposition but he's training full time now, and for someone with that much natural talent he could become a contender.

Well he was obviously only there because of Carwin but I'm glad they've kept the JOE/Pee Wee fight on the main card. IM interested to see where JOE is at as he obviously has the ground game and training at Golden Glory for 5 years has to have given him good striking skills. Could end up being a sleeper in the division. On top of that I always like seeing Pee Wee fight so I'm actually pretty damn excited about the fight.

• Paid Members

been watching the Dana White blogs, great stuff as always...its must see stuff in the buildup to a show.

nice touch to show him saying thanks to Antoni Hardonk too after his retirement.

Love how Dana didn't wanna touch the fighters in part 2 because he was feeling a little sick, then went outside and shook the hand of any fan that stuck it in front of him :laugh:

• Paid Members

genuinely interested to see what kind of shape Shane Carwin is in though, he's definately slimmed down and actually looks a little small next to JDS which is surprising.

genuinely interested to see what kind of shape Shane Carwin is in though, he's definately slimmed down and actually looks a little small next to JDS which is surprising.

Lost 25-30lbs according to an interview with Helwani, surprised as I thought it looked like a lot more than that.

• Paid Members

interesting thing about that is Carwin's only real asset in the cage was his brute strength and punching power. If they've gone im not sure what else he really has to offer? He's not that technically sound a striker, he's always relied on the power. If he's carried that power down it could work for him but i don't think he'll be the same.

He's a good wrestler too. Isn't he working with Greg Jackson? Maybe he's just learning to fight the Greg Jackson way. There's also the fact that he lost the Lesnar fight because he got totally and utterly gassed after one round. Maybe he figures a slight loss of power is worth the trade-off of gaining some wind for the longer fights he's bound to get against the heavyweight elite.

• Paid Members

yeh, he's a good wrestler but im guessing that the decrease in power could effect that part of his game too.

No doubt the drop in weight has been to counter the problem with his gas-tank, it might be the best move he's ever made but we're yet to see. I just feel that if Carwin loses his earth shattering power there's not a lot left.

No doubt the drop in weight has been to counter the problem with his gas-tank, it might be the best move he's ever made but we're yet to see. I just feel that if Carwin loses his earth shattering power there's not a lot left.

He's still a big guy, so there'll only be so much weight he can drop. I don't think it'll affect his power.

• Paid Members

It's worth remembering aswell that Carwin's coming off neck and back surgery so that could be part of the reason for the loss of size. He'd have been inactive and unable to do any weight training for a lot of his recovery time.

Probably does have something to do with cardio too though. Maybe it could effect his power negatively but it's not gonna completely take it away plus he could benefit in improved speed and cardio so that all comes into play.

Archived