UFC 131 - Dos Santos vs Carwin Discussion Thread

David

• Paid Members
As far as i'm concerned as long as the guy is conscious and defending in some way the fight should go on...only if the fighter is out and drops his hands should the fight be stopped...this is cage fighting god dammit not ballet

Its also cage fighting in 2011, you tit.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On regards to who is next for Carwin, I think it will be either Brock or Roy Nelson; both should be a ton of fun.

On JDS vs Cain, I am no doubt going for JDS after Saturday

JDS has the best boxing in Heavyweight MMA and outside of Overeem the best striking (although JDS did show some good kicks Saturday night) He also showed a chin and some great defence something that stopped Andrei Arlovski becoming the force he should have been. His chin the few times it was tested against Carwin held up well and as Carwin has the most power in HW MMA I think that is quite impressive.

JDS also showed excellent takedown defence, Carwin is a bigger stronger wrestler than Cain. Cain is a more technical and faster wrestler than Carwin but I can see JDS stuffing Cain's takedowns and getting up from them like he did with Carwin.

Cain does have power in his hands but not as much as Carwin so JDS will be more aggressive and less tentative with Cain. Cain should land with more shots than Carwin but I think JDS will get the better of the vast majority of these exchanges. Maybe JDS won

• Paid Members

ive seen the results but not the fights, im assuming it was the Omigawa fight that all that blood came from?

ive seen the results but not the fights, im assuming it was the Omigawa fight that all that blood came from?

• Paid Members
Yeah it was the Nick Ring vs James Head fight with all the blood. Bad things happen when head meets ring. Probably didn't use any lube but I'm no expert on such matters.

:D

:thumbsup:

Carwin's in a pretty interesting position now. He mowed through everyone until he got to Brock but just hasn't looked the same since the end of the first round of that fight. He didn't look at all happy as soon as he saw JDS across the Octagon. Maybe that's just how scary JDS is, but I feel like the loss to Brock (and particularly the fact that Brock survived the onslaught) may have really rattled his confidence.

You think so? I thought Carwin looked like a very good MMA fighter who was facing an elite level MMA heavyweight with superb boxing. He got outclassed on the feet, it's that simple.

His fight with Brock pointed out to him that his cardio was nowhere near up to scratch, and it looks as though he's worked hard on that. As for his onslaught against Lesnar, you seen the difference between an intelligent onslaught when Dos Santos had Carwin down and a ridiculous onslaught when Carwin was throwing full tilt shots against Lesnars gloves and arms at the end of the 1st in their fight.

As I said earlier, I'd like to see a rematch between Lesnar & Carwin, as it will be interesting to see how it goes with Carwin not gassing out after 4 minutes.

• Paid Members

i think Carwin's limitations were very evident against Dos Santos. Before the fight i was talking about Carwin's lack of experience in the cage, his total fight time was under 15 minutes which is pretty remarkable when you think about it. Carwin got to where he was based on the fact that he had ridiculous punching power basically, so it's no surprise that when he was put in there with someone who could avoid that power that he was going to come unstuck. Carwin's a one-trick pony and it's a shame he couldn't adapt. It also sucks that he's at the age where he probably won't.

Carwin by no means embarrased himself on Saturday like Brock Lesnar did against Cain (the spin-a-roonie will live on in infamy), and he showed as much heart as anyone ive seen in an MMA fight but his limitations as an elite level heavyweight were painfully obvious.

On that note, I feel I have to point out again that I don't feel Brock was outclassed against Cain. He was just incredibly impatient, took a shot that upset his balance a bit then took a nasty shot to the back of the head that put him down. If he recognises that he can hang with Velasquez and doesn't have to scramble desperately for a first round finish, I really believe he can win a rematch. His biggest problem at the moment is that the diverticulitis has meant his training time has been very seriously limited for the last two years.

As for Carwin, I take your point David, but I still think the way he was swinging looked like he had no other ideas beyond landing a bomb and getting the classic Carwin KO. His takedowns didn't look like they had any authority. And maybe it's just the way his face is, but he looked totally demoralised from very early in the fight. That's not to say that he's not a pretty damn good fighter, but I definitely think he's not the same fighter now as he was three fights ago.

• Moderators
On that note, I feel I have to point out again that I don't feel Brock was outclassed against Cain. He was just incredibly impatient, took a shot that upset his balance a bit then took a nasty shot to the back of the head that put him down.

That'll be those pillow hands.

Did anyone see Arial's pre-131 interview with Carwin? He outright asked him about his name being listed on the steroid pharmacy bust, but Carwin refused to comment. Of course, this is the same Shane Carwin who's recently dropped 25lbs of muscle.

Archived