UFC 131 - Dos Santos vs Carwin Discussion Thread

David

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some really good prelims so far but i can tell the judges are going to ruin tonight if it keeps up like this after 3 fights with 1 ending by TKO and the other 2 ending in some really bad decisions

Omigawa vs Elkins was shocking though

haha was just looking at UFC 131 on Wikipedia and came across this. "Featherweight bout: Michihiro Omigawa vs. Darren Elkins. Elkins defeated Omigawa via some sort of Japanese snuff film." :laugh:

I'm really starting to think the referees are a bit corrupted in these heavyweight main events. First with Brock vs Carwin, and now JDS vs Carwin, the referees are letting the fighters take a ridiculous amount of punishment without calling it off. TKO's get called for much less, in fights all over UFC cards. For Brock, it gave him a chance to easily beat a gassed out Carwin when it probably would have been stopped in any other circumstance. You could say it's because of what is at stake, but it seems more like an excuse for UFC to manufacture drama talking about the heart of these fighters. In this fight, Carwin wasn't even defending himself really, and offered barely any fight for the other two rounds. Ridiculous, although it created a good spectacle.

The rest of the card was great though. :D

• Paid Members

Really enjoyed 131. And once again it shows it's often the cards people moan about that turn out really good.

I don't think anyone expected the main event to go the distance. I was on the edge of my seat thoughout the fight. Chuffed JDS got the win and I'm fuckin pumped for Velasquez vs Dos Santos.

I've already seen a bit of a backlash online against JDS for not finishing and it's bollocks. JDS was smart not to punch himself out and he picked Carwin apart for the entire fight only taking a couple of shots himself and mixing up his attacks well with new stuff like takedowns and headkicks. I would have liked to see him finish the job and there were times he probably could have but I don't blame either of them for being a bit cautious with what was at stake for the winner.

I might be alone in this but I didn't see what Rogan/Goldberg seemed to see in Kenny Florian. I didn't think he looked that good and actually, I was a bit surprised he got the decision. I might be alone on this but I felt like Nunes won the 1st round easily and stole the 3rd in the last 2 mins with his aggression and buckling Kenny at the end. Kenny had a good round 2 and good early part of round 3 but I thought he let the fight slip away at the end. Close fight though.

Couldn't believe one judge gave Kenny the fight 30-27 :confused: what the fuck? No way he won the first round. Absolute shite.

Loved Herman vs Einemo and Beltran vs Rosa. Might not have been the most technical fights but both were a shitload of fun to watch and that's what matters. Really entertaining fights. In fact I'd like to see Herman vs Beltran next.

Weidman looked impressive too. Nasty standing guillotine.

Good bunch of fights. Can't wait for 132.

• Paid Members
As for the Stout fight, should be a belter. I'd say Stout is slightly better technically on the feet but like jimufctna says lacks a little in power. I'd give Yves the nod in power and deffo on the ground.

4.gif

:blush: Okay never mind.

Really enjoyed 131. And once again it shows it's often the cards people moan about that turn out really good.

I don't think anyone expected the main event to go the distance. I was on the edge of my seat thoughout the fight. Chuffed JDS got the win and I'm fuckin pumped for Velasquez vs Dos Santos.

I've already seen a bit of a backlash online against JDS for not finishing and it's bollocks. JDS was smart not to punch himself out and he picked Carwin apart for the entire fight only taking a couple of shots himself and mixing up his attacks well with new stuff like takedowns and headkicks. I would have liked to see him finish the job and there were times he probably could have but I don't blame either of them for being a bit cautious with what was at stake for the winner.

I'm not holding anything against JDS, he was smart throughout, fought a great fight. It should have been a TKO in the first, but that's on Herb Dean. I don't call trying to put your hand in front of your face and mostly failing while you get blasted as intelligent defense. Good fight overall, and at least Carwin's cardio seemed a little better. He was pretty lethargic after the first but can't blame him for that.

Definitely have to eat crow when it came to the show quality too. Was terrific, don't regret paying for it at all. Was going to watch it at the bar but had to stay home and look after my mum.

Personally i thought carwins will was destoryed early on but Dos Santos, but judging Dos santos performance against Roy Nelson and Shane Carwin. I have a feeling Cains gunna walk straight through Dos Santos

Personally i thought carwins will was destoryed early on but Dos Santos, but judging Dos santos performance against Roy Nelson and Shane Carwin. I have a feeling Cains gunna walk straight through Dos Santos

What makes you think that based on last night? I thought JDS was superb. His boxing was crisp, his stamina didn't seem to be an issue, his takedown defence was top notch and his takedowns were a nice suprise. If anything I think Cain has more to worry about based on last night. It'll be the most anticipated heavyweight match since Fedor/Cro Cop in my opinion.

I can't stand Kenny Florian. I think it is because of his "fight finisher" soundbite which was all over Undisputed 2009. He wasn't as dominant as Goldberg and Rogan were making out and where the hell did 30-27 come from?

Speaking of 30-27, I really enjoyed the Munoz-Maia fight but can't see how you could give Munoz the first round? Maias striking is getting better and better but I feel Munoz did just enough to win the match.

What makes you think that based on last night? I thought JDS was superb. His boxing was crisp, his stamina didn't seem to be an issue, his takedown defence was top notch and his takedowns were a nice suprise. If anything I think Cain has more to worry about based on last night. It'll be the most anticipated heavyweight match since Fedor/Cro Cop in my opinion.

I can't stand Kenny Florian. I think it is because of his "fight finisher" soundbite which was all over Undisputed 2009. He wasn't as dominant as Goldberg and Rogan were making out and where the hell did 30-27 come from?

Speaking of 30-27, I really enjoyed the Munoz-Maia fight but can't see how you could give Munoz the first round? Maias striking is getting better and better but I feel Munoz did just enough to win the match.

There is a report over on Junkie with comments from Dana White, who is extremely critical over some of the judging and scoring from last night. Incidentally, they are paying Omigawa his win bonus based on the belief he was on the wrong end of a rum decision.

• Paid Members

Great show overall, The prelim fights must have pulled in a load more ppv buys. Some great finishes and a great slug fest that the caual fans would love.

The Edwards KO was scary. He didn't move for a while and the way he landed made it worse. If Stout had 'Hendo'd' him that would have been bad news.

Cowboy put on a tight performance, but I thought he was way too cautious and could have easily finished if he wanted.

Herman/Einemo was great fun and I was convinced Einemo had it in the bag only for Herman to turn it round. Both guys are a great edition to the lower part of the HW division. Theres a ton of fun fights there.

Damian Maia's stand up looked upto scratch. Real improvement there, he had a great first round. Pretty close fight overall and enjoyable too.

Impressed with how Florian looked at 145. He looked in better shape than Nunes, Don't think he has much for Aldo though.

When JDS had Carwin hurt at the end of the first I thought it was over, when he made out of the first I was convinced he was going down early in the second. but fair play he managed to hang on. He was banged up to hell. His tank looked alot better too. JDS looked comfortable pretty much all fight, liked the takedown's loads too. Really looking forward to the title fight now. Should be really competitive.

This barrage of back to back UFC shows is so good.

Archived