UFC 131 - Dos Santos vs Carwin Discussion Thread

David

I'm a huge mark for fan of Cerrone, and i'm looking forward to both of the Heavyweight fights.

This is an actual sport mate, not pro wrestling. You're a fan of Cerrone, not a mark.

You're joking right?

DAVID KLAXON!!!!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

proves how spoilt UFC fans are these days when they have 3 shows in a 3 week period and still complain about the quality of the card!? really!? UFC 131 on paper doesn't really leap out at you i agree but that's a very solid night of fights right there.

I think many fans only have a certain group of fighters they look at when browsing a card, looking for them marquee names, it kinda sucks.

As for Nunes/Florian co-headlining, i see the complaints there too but when you think about it, the UFC are trying to legitamise their 145 division so what good oes it do if a no.1 contender fight is buried down the card? they need to get this stuff up top, get faces on posters and let people get to know these fighters...i think people underestimate Kenny Florian's popularity too, he's headlined several shows in the past and is a presenter on ESPN's MMA Live, random's will know Kenny Florian. I have no problem with this being in the co-main event.

Munoz/Maia is a legit contender fight at 185 too, people seem to hold it against Maia for the Anderson Silva fight but bottom line is, he's got back on the horse and he's getting back up there...Munoz is one of the most improved fighters at 185. Rumor is, the winner of this gets Brian Stann.

Herman/Einemo is a weird one to keep on the main card, but the UFC will always want new heavyweights so that's why it's staying there after Carwin stepped up...and for people who haven't seen Dave Herman fight, he's exciting to watch. Could be in for a treat.

Cerrone/Rocha - would have been great if the Danzig fight stayed on but the UFC is obviously keen to keep Cerrone up top, remember he headlined several shows in the WEC and he's clearly a crowd favourite... look at how many fight of the nights he's had, never a dull moment. Can't complain.

The prelims are fairly loaded too...i'm happy!

proves how spoilt UFC fans are these days when they have 3 shows in a 3 week period and still complain about the quality of the card!? really!? UFC 131 on paper doesn't really leap out at you i agree but that's a very solid night of fights right there.

I think many fans only have a certain group of fighters they look at when browsing a card, looking for them marquee names, it kinda sucks.

My point about the card was how it would be received by casual fans to be honest. Guys like you and me will watch the fights regardless, but we aren't the type who bolster the PPV sales.

• Paid Members

yeh, i agree...i think it is a problem though, casual type fans only seem to get attracted to certain fighters and when them fighters don't appear the interest isn't there. People seem to be clinging on to the original set of MMA stars.

• Paid Members
yeh, i agree...i think it is a problem though, casual type fans only seem to get attracted to certain fighters and when them fighters don't appear the interest isn't there. People seem to be clinging on to the original set of MMA stars.

A core group of people will always be the focal point of any sport, Boxing will always have its top stars that the sport is marketed round and so will MMA. UFC has always hyped its top stars, however it has expanded beyond being able to use these people every card. Certain fans will always love the undercard more. I will say that there is a huge swing in the amount of fans that are becoming more knowledgeable about the sport. I was rewatching the Nog/Couture fight last night and the cheer when Couture managed to free his arm during an arm triangle is insane and shows just how much the fan base has moved on in the last few years.

It's not all about the big name fights and fighters, it was a point about fight quality more than anything. To a degree, it is because I don't know the fighters, but it's not "Oh no, he's not a superstar," it's that I haven't seen them fight and don't know whether I'll see a decent bout. Fight Night cards this year have featured lesser name stars, but ones I'm familiar with. Honestly more keen for the Hardy vs Lytle fight card than anything happening on June 11.

• Paid Members

that's fair enough, i know exactly how you feel. Know when i see the DREAM cards getting announced i find it hard to get up for them cause i know of very few fighters on the card, so i guess it's the same situation...with the UFC though im pretty much down on all the fighters so i can get excited for anything. I find it kind of frustrating though when people write shit off before it happens, and i aint talking specifically about the ukff, im talking MMA fans in general.

If UFC's happened less frequently i'd feel it was more justified but to have 3 shows in 3 weeks, i find it pretty hard to complain...you know that when you tune in you're gonna get to see at least 7 fights, usually 8-9.

• Paid Members

the main event here is tough to call...first off, i think it's a better fight than Dos Santos/Lesnar. I think if the fight stays standing you have to favour Dos Santos, Carwin's dangerous but i think Dos Santos' speed/footwork and punch accuracy makes it a short night. Shane Carwin's chin is questionable too, he has heart no doubt but he's been visibly shaken in a couple of fights, if he gets hurt here he aint gonna survive. Shane Carwin's best hope is to turn this into a wrestling bout, either get it to the ground or get it in the clinch, the guy is throwing hammers from anywhere so as long as he aint in a position when Dos Santos can throw back Carwin's gonna do ok...

Gas it a big question mark for both guys though, Dos Santos didn't look too good down the stretch against Nelson and that was against a guy who doesn't have the brute energy sapping strength of Carwin...and JDS has never really been in war, he just wins clean and early (except for the Nelson fight which raised a few questions). Shane Carwin though is similar, he gassed out as badly as anyone in the Lesnar fight (his post fight excuses were for why were annoying) and if he does the same thing again here he's gonna get smashed. The first round is super important, both guys are used to ending things early so if it doesn't happen it's gonna end up being a bit of a war attrition.

Don't think we'll get that far though, it'll end in 1...Dos Santos by TKO because Carwin will likely try standing for some amount of time and he'll get tagged with something.

I'm a huge mark for fan of Cerrone, and i'm looking forward to both of the Heavyweight fights.

This is an actual sport mate, not pro wrestling. You're a fan of Cerrone, not a mark.

You're joking right?

No.

• Paid Members
3 cards in 3 weeks is one thing, but they are spreading themselves too thing. Better to have 2 cards with decent fights. UFC 132 is ridiculously stacked, they should have taken a fight off that and put it onto 131 to bolster the card.

yeh, i feel that but it all comes down to schedules and stuff. 132 is a great card, but again the only difference is them marquee names that people instantly recognise (Wanderlei, Ortiz, Leben), also bare in mind that the main event is a bit of a gamble so it's understandable that they try and load it up underneath.

Archived