Jesse Bongfeldt vs. Chris Weidman+

Mike Massenzio vs. Krzysztof Soszynski*

James Head vs. Nick Ring*

Dustin Poirier vs. Jason Young*

Joey Beltran vs. Aaron Rosa*

Darren Elkins vs. Michihiro Omigawa*

+SpikeTV prelim

*Unaired prelim

With Lesnar dropping out of his fight with Dos Santos, we have a fairly uneventful card I reckon. The UFC were obviously banking on the Lesnar factor to draw in the fans.

Don't get me wrong, it'll probably be an entertaining card, and guys like me will always watch fights that the UFC put on, but I have a feeling it may suffer at the hands of the casual fans who would have bought it to see Brock.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lesnar or not, this is the definition of a one match show. KenFlo in the co-main? Really? And Diego Nunes might be a good fighter, but he's no Aldo or Faber in terms of star power. Mark Munoz in another featured fight? Shit, take away JDS and Carwin and we've got a card that's worse than any Fight Night this year.

Lesnar or not, this is the definition of a one match show.

If Lesnar had been fighting they wouldn't have needed any other fight to sell this card though, would they? It's only with him pulling out that the show is shown up for what it is.

Lesnar or not, this is the definition of a one match show.

If Lesnar had been fighting they wouldn't have needed any other fight to sell this card though, would they? It's only with him pulling out that the show is shown up for what it is.

My point was it is what it is regardless of Lesnar. I'm a huge fan of Brock, but this card still looked weak as hell even with him main eventing. You can eat a shit sundae with whipped cream on top, it's still gonna taste like shit. Probably the reason I'm so negative on this card is due to the loaded cards around them, swap some matches from 132 and it would look way better.

• Paid Members

It's a good card but yeah Florian/Nunes doesn't look like a co-main event. Especially with Florian coming off a one sided loss. Still should be a good fight. And I'm sure the rest will deliver.

One thing about Florian/Nunes. There's been a lot of talk that if Florian wins he'll probably get a title shot. But what about Nunes? He's on a 3 fight win streak and beat Mike Brown last time out. Florian lost his last fight and he hasn't even fought at 145 yet and they're on about a title shot?

I know Kenny has more name recognition but really one fight at the weight and you get a crack at the title? Bit of favouritism for the TUF 1 boys again.

Pumped for Dos Santos/Carwin which really could be a better fight than the Lesnar fight would have been. Carwin still offers the threat of wrestling which JDS hasn't dealt with yet. On the feet Lesnar had no chance and Carwin hits like a train so this is a more interesting fight to me.

One thing about Florian/Nunes. There's been a lot of talk that if Florian wins he'll probably get a title shot. But what about Nunes? He's on a 3 fight win streak and beat Mike Brown last time out. Florian lost his last fight and he hasn't even fought at 145 yet and they're on about a title shot?

I know Kenny has more name recognition but really one fight at the weight and you get a crack at the title? Bit of favouritism for the TUF 1 boys again.

Yeah, you pretty much summed it up in your second paragraph; 'the Fight Finisher' is one of Dana's/the promotions favourites and as a result will always get advantageous treatment. If he gets the title shot it will be his third crack at the gold (after the losses to Sherk and Penn), and I am guessing that no-one who has never held a title in the company will have had this many shots at a belt.

• Paid Members
This fight is at 145 - it'd be his first shot at that title.

Regardless of what's been said so far, i'm actually pretty interested in this card. I'm a huge mark for Cerrone, and i'm looking forward to both of the Heavyweight fights.

Yeah it would be his first crack at Featherweight gold but still, I don't think he should just leapfrog to number one contendership off the back of one win (if he wins). My point was that it seems this Florian/Nunes fight is pretty much a contenders fight but only if Kenny wins which would be harsh on Nunes who has done more at 145 and is on a better run lately.

I agree though I can see this card being better than it looks. Dave Herman looks legit, Maia vs Munoz could be a fun clash of styles and Cerrone is always a crowd pleaser. Yves Edwards vs Sam Stout could be a great fight too on the Spike prelims.

So yeah not the strongest card on paper but it could throw up some good stuff and the main event alone is gonna be worth tuning in for.

The thing is most people don't know who Diego Nunes is and basically every UFC fan knows who Kenny Florian is. They want to make the FW's an actual draw in their own right and if Aldo was to beat Ken Flo it would do much more for him and the division in the long run.

• Paid Members

Yeah I see your point. And if Nunes beats him it's a good way to make himself well known too. It's not ideal though having a guy get a title shot that easy. But I suppose the way Aldo's been going through the opposition they don't have many options.

I'm a huge mark for fan of Cerrone, and i'm looking forward to both of the Heavyweight fights.

This is an actual sport mate, not pro wrestling. You're a fan of Cerrone, not a mark.

You're joking right?

Archived