UFC 131 - Dos Santos vs Carwin Discussion Thread

David

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Release them and let them fight in smaller organisations.

why? they are good fighters. I can guarantee also that the fighters on the undercards of these shows would pick 100 times out of 100 that they'd ratehr fight on a UFC undercard rather than fight for a local promotion.

The UFC now caters for 7 weight divisions, there's gonna be more shows not less...get yourself accquainted with these fighters and you'll no longer complain.

I don't see why people moan when a card is weak, no one is forcing you to watch it/pay for it. Just skip the show if you don't like the fights on the card.

exactly! there's 3 shows in 3 weeks, if someone is that unhappy with one skip it...Dana White says the same thing, it aint like this is the only card being offered.

Whatever is said about this card, it has the most interesting Heavyweight fight of the year so far on it. I really am not sure who will win, my gut says Carwin will gas and JDS will TKO him in the 3rd, but if Carwin lands a big shot or uses his wrestling it could be another story.

Ken Flo at 145 should be interesting and Herman vs Einemo is decent as well, nt the most stacked card but one I will look forward to.

• Paid Members

I cant see it going as far as a 3rd round. I'm really not sure about Carwins cardio. I know a lot of people are pointing at the Brock fight but he really did just go for the kill and punch himself out. I think this will be the first time we actually get to see what he has. Saying that JDS has the better stand up and if Carwin is going to come in swinging like he usually does I'm guessing he'll get caught either late in the 1st or in the 2nd then hammered on for a TKO. I don't want JDS to lose hes like a giant happy child (who could snap and murder you), Im still getting over Mir beating Kind Uncle Nog :(

• Paid Members

yeh the gastank is a problem, people shit all over boxing for boxers padding out their records with a stupid amount of wins over so-so opposition, but what that process does is get you ready for bigger fights. Many boxers will blow through opposition but on that road they'll fight guys that wont get blown out of there in a round, it's a learning process that many MMA fighters don't go through and unfortunately they only experience something like this in a massive fight...great example is Carwin vs. Lesnar.

It's absolutely ridiculous really to think that Shane Carwin was in a world title fight when his grand total time of actually fighting in the cage was less than 15 minutes! No wonder this guy came unstuck when the going got tough..he didn't know what the fuck was going on, he blamed everything other than the fact that he was for the first time in his life in a legit. scrap. I know MMA's a different world to Boxing, but some of these guys need to take some tougher roads on the way up. I know people will slate me, but Bobby Lashley is actually taking a smarter path, he might never amount to anything but that guy could have came in and taken the big fights but instead he's taking a slow, tough road and i guarantee that will pay off down the road.

I cant see it going as far as a 3rd round. I'm really not sure about Carwins cardio. I know a lot of people are pointing at the Brock fight but he really did just go for the kill and punch himself out. I think this will be the first time we actually get to see what he has. Saying that JDS has the better stand up and if Carwin is going to come in swinging like he usually does I'm guessing he'll get caught either late in the 1st or in the 2nd then hammered on for a TKO. I don't want JDS to lose hes like a giant happy child (who could snap and murder you), Im still getting over Mir beating Kind Uncle Nog :(

Hahaha... oh man, I cracked up at that line. It's true though, the guy has the most genuine smile. I'll go for JDS in this fight. Definitely a worthy main event here, just wish it was sitting atop a bigger card. Browsing through upcoming cards, the unaired prelims for Marquardt vs Story are better looking, I'd swap:

Heavyweight bout: Jon Olav Einemo vs. Dave Herman

Lightweight bout: Donald Cerrone vs. Vagner Rocha

for

Lightweight bout: Joe Lauzon vs. Curt Warburton

Lightweight bout: Nik Lentz vs. Charles Oliveira

There's also Tyson Griffin and Joe Stevenson in unaired fights... what the? I hope they show prelims on Facebook for these Fight Night shows, they look fantastic.

Hahaha... oh man, I cracked up at that line. It's true though, the guy has the most genuine smile. I'll go for JDS in this fight. Definitely a worthy main event here, just wish it was sitting atop a bigger card. Browsing through upcoming cards, the unaired prelims for Marquardt vs Story are better looking, I'd swap:

Heavyweight bout: Jon Olav Einemo vs. Dave Herman

Lightweight bout: Donald Cerrone vs. Vagner Rocha

for

Lightweight bout: Joe Lauzon vs. Curt Warburton

Lightweight bout: Nik Lentz vs. Charles Oliveira

There's also Tyson Griffin and Joe Stevenson in unaired fights... what the? I hope they show prelims on Facebook for these Fight Night shows, they look fantastic.

It's a shame Mac Danzig dropped out of the Cerrone fight, I don't really know much about Rocha though. Griffin and Stevenson deserve to be on the prelims as they have both lost their last three.

yeh the gastank is a problem, people shit all over boxing for boxers padding out their records with a stupid amount of wins over so-so opposition, but what that process does is get you ready for bigger fights. Many boxers will blow through opposition but on that road they'll fight guys that wont get blown out of there in a round, it's a learning process that many MMA fighters don't go through and unfortunately they only experience something like this in a massive fight...great example is Carwin vs. Lesnar.

It's absolutely ridiculous really to think that Shane Carwin was in a world title fight when his grand total time of actually fighting in the cage was less than 15 minutes! No wonder this guy came unstuck when the going got tough..he didn't know what the fuck was going on, he blamed everything other than the fact that he was for the first time in his life in a legit. scrap. I know MMA's a different world to Boxing, but some of these guys need to take some tougher roads on the way up. I know people will slate me, but Bobby Lashley is actually taking a smarter path, he might never amount to anything but that guy could have came in and taken the big fights but instead he's taking a slow, tough road and i guarantee that will pay off down the road.

Whilst in theory I agree, in the case of Carwin I think he has been rushed due to his advanced age, as he is in his late thirties. Lashley is no spring chicken either. I agree with what you are saying though and a lot of others do, many including myself moaned when the UFC rushed Cain Velasqez from facing the likes of Brad Morris to facing Cheick Kongo. As silly has it sounds now with how good Cain is they did rush him into that fight when Herring got injured.

Cain did win of course but was almost knocked out on two or three occasions, no need to rush him when he was still a fairly young and green prospect and only had 4 or so fights IIRC. Cain also had a lot of eary finshes and it was a fight on short notice, it was amazing his cardio held up the way it did. I remember a article on Junkie saying along the lines of "needlessly wasting the young" summed it up perfectly.

• Paid Members

yeh, MMA is in a different position to boxing because a lot of guys do generally come into the sport late so there aint much time to hang about...it also backs up the saying that there's 'no fights off' in the UFC as the level is always high, but there's no excuse for cage time. Also in boxing obviously the bigger fighters will take small fights in between money fights and everyone just kind of accepts that, many people love the UFC because they don't do that but it's pretty beneficial to the fighters. Like Carwin now will come back after a massive layoff and goes in against a top 5 heavyweight...if he loses, he blames ringrust, guaranteed.

It's a double-edged sword because obvioulsy people love MMA because they seem to steer away from the boxing thing of having un-competitive fights, but them fights do serve a purpose.

• Paid Members

What does everyone think's gonna happen with Florian vs Nunes?

I actually think Nunes might pull it off to be honest. He's one good form and he's got that wrestler style that Kenny has always struggled with. I know he won't have the strength of a Maynard or Sherk but he's got some real good takedowns and control. Kenny's got the advantage on the feet but Nunes isn't gonna be standing in front of him most likely and on the ground he'll be hard for Kenny to catch in a sub.

A real tough first fight for Florian at the new weight I think.

yeh, MMA is in a different position to boxing because a lot of guys do generally come into the sport late so there aint much time to hang about...it also backs up the saying that there's 'no fights off' in the UFC as the level is always high, but there's no excuse for cage time. Also in boxing obviously the bigger fighters will take small fights in between money fights and everyone just kind of accepts that, many people love the UFC because they don't do that but it's pretty beneficial to the fighters. Like Carwin now will come back after a massive layoff and goes in against a top 5 heavyweight...if he loses, he blames ringrust, guaranteed.

It's a double-edged sword because obvioulsy people love MMA because they seem to steer away from the boxing thing of having un-competitive fights, but them fights do serve a purpose.

That bit about guys coming into the sport late won't apply in 5 years time. Most of the established UFC guys trained earlier in life in one discipline, such as BJJ, TKD or wrestling before starting MMA when it hit a boom with the UFC. The new generation are training in MMA, and entering the big leagues at 20, 21 years old with a much wider skill set. Now with the health insurance deal we should be able to see these young guys staying healthier, built up steadier and having 15+ years having high level fights.

• Paid Members

there's few people talking about the Sam Stout/Yves Edwards fight, thoughts on that one?

it's the kind of fight that takes me back to the good old pre-tuf days. These guys were staples back then and it's kinda weird how they never matched up back in the day. Both men are veterans but are probably in their primes now (some would argue Edwards best days are behind him), this should be an outstanding battle...it's definately a sleeper for fight of the night.

Archived