UFC 131 - Dos Santos vs Carwin Discussion Thread

David

Just watched JOE vs James Thomson and Herman vs Michal Kita, both guys are very slick on the ground for heavyweights, fairly quick and athletic. Of course the 5 year absence of JOE is a huge factor, but assuming he's been training hard (and you'd think he would have considering he was meant to fight Carwin), this could be a good heavyweight fight. It is all a bit curious though, was Einemo brought in originally as cannon fodder for Carwin, or do the top brass consider him a legitimate threat due to his BJJ skills?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

weigh-in's are done!

unledtj_large.jpg

Main Card

Junior dos Santos (239) vs. Shane Carwin (254)

Kenny Florian (146) vs. Diego Nunes (145)

Jon Olav Einemo (261) vs. Dave Herman (233)

Demian Maia (186) vs. Mark Munoz (186)

Donald Cerrone (155) vs. Vagner Rocha (155)

Preliminary Card (Spike TV)

Sam Stout (155) vs. Yves Edwards (155)

Jesse Bongfeldt (185) vs. Chris Weidman (186)

Preliminary Card (Facebook/Youtube)

Krzystzof Soszynski (205) vs. Mike Massenzio (201)

Nick Ring (185) vs. James Head (186)

Dustin Poirier (146) vs. Jason Young (145)

Joey Beltran (247) vs. Aaron Rosa (261)

Michihiro Omigawa (145) vs. Darren Elkins (145)

• Paid Members

quick note on Aaron Rosa, unbelievable that he's weighing 261, not so long ago he was a 205'er. The guy's packed on weight (and not good weight either), so it's wild that he's getting a shot whilst probably being in the worst shape of his fighting life. Having said that, he still moves pretty good and he can strike so i see him and Beltran being fireworks.

quick note on Aaron Rosa, unbelievable that he's weighing 261, not so long ago he was a 205'er. The guy's packed on weight (and not good weight either), so it's wild that he's getting a shot whilst probably being in the worst shape of his fighting life. Having said that, he still moves pretty good and he can strike so i see him and Beltran being fireworks.

I was shocked when I watched his fight against Abe Wagner from the Titan Fighting Championship card and saw what poor physical shape the guy was in. A vast change from how I remember him on those old ShoXC events, when he didn't seen to have an ounce of excess weight on him.

Re: Florian, when watching Dana's second video blog and Kenny was in his suit, I was thinking to myself how thin facially he was looking.

• Paid Members

yeh they mentioned on the Titan broadcast that Rosa was juggling fighting with working full time so he'd let himself go physically. Hopefully the UFC run will allow him to get back into shape. Great place to start cause Beltran's a small heavyweight too, but Rosa is by no means a heavyweight fighter.

Abe Wagner must be kicking himself, if he'd beaten Rosa he'd no doubt be in his spot on this card.

My picks for tonight are: JDS, Florian, Maia, Einemo and Cerrone. The only one I feel pretty confident with is Maia. The other 4 i'm really unsure, especially the Einemo and Cerrone fights. I've only seen one of Einemos fights and I've never seen Rocha so i'm not sure how those two fights will end up going. I'm looking forward to seeing all 5 fights, so i'm not disappointed with the card.

Archived