2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
don't want to piss on any dundee fans cornflakes, pars to be voted back into the spl, according to a source in the club pars to get the nod because of dundee's financial problems in the past.

if thats remotely true then dundee got shafted big time

ROFL, expect the league to be delayed then as they'll be going against their regulations and it'd lead to the Court of Arb for Sport probably.

don't want to piss on any dundee fans cornflakes, pars to be voted back into the spl, according to a source in the club pars to get the nod because of dundee's financial problems in the past.

if thats remotely true then dundee got shafted big time

ROFL, expect the league to be delayed then as they'll be going against their regulations and it'd lead to the Court of Arb for Sport probably.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...l#ixzz20jULk5Op

• Paid Members
I can see them going through the whole league season unbeaten there.

Who have Rangers actually still got on their books as far as players go?

All the youth team, I'd imagine. Add in your 30+ age journeymen they'll no doubt pick up. I see them doing very well.

Noticed this in that Daily Mail article..

Also, if oldco Rangers don't play ball and willingly agree to hand over their SPL share for transfer to the new SPL member that could complicate things further.

This could further complicate things.

You can start by getting relegated.

I was actually thinking about relegation. With all of what's going on, if that's our level after we've done the cost cutting then so be it. Rather be a division two team living within our means than a first division team constantly making a loss, which we have been doing for quite some time. Our squad doesn't scream "challengers" or even "half decent" which worries me a fair bit. We've been trying to cut wages for some time and a lot of blame has gone to the managers, but it's pretty clear given how consistant the cost cutting has been that the cuts are coming from above. Not that I blame Douglas Rae. He just needs to stop making noises about how we can challenge for promotion.

Are Rangers a new club or not? I say they are so that means starting from scratch. OK they've had some rules bent for them to get them into the SFL but that's done now and we should just move on. That to me means no sanctions and no history etc etc. Let them sign players and get on with it. We're all about 2 weeks away from competitive games and I think everyone should draw a line under it and move on. That seems to be happening with admitting Dundee but I don't think Dunfermline are going to help anything by mounting a legal challenge. They've proven over 38 games they couldn't compete and should accept their relegation.

That being said let's learn some lessons and make some changes:

1. Merge the SFL, SFA and SPL. As part of this restructure I think we'll need to replace Stuart Regan and Doncaster should be removed.

2. Have a 12 team premier division as it is now. I'm definitely in a minority but I like the current setup and split. Most of the games are meaningful that you'd lose with a bigger league. The split means you're playing teams around you come crunch time that makes things even more exciting. I also don't know if there's currently the depth to support 16 teams as you'd have 20 say a core of 20 teams who'd be in or around the premier league, which we just don't have. However...

3. Play offs betwen 2-4th in the 1st and 11th in the SPL. Final at a neutral venue should attract a decent crowd and TV interest, particularly if it were say, Falkirk vs Dunfermline, Dundee v St Johnstone etc.

4. 20 team national 1st division. Winner goes up and the play-offs for 2-4. 3 automatic relegation spots, 16th into a playoff.

5. East of Scotland and South of Scotland top divisions merge to become Division 2 south. There will still be a east of scotland and a south of scotland league below this with relegation and promotion. A new West of Scotland 2nd division to be formed. Junior teams will be invited to join the new league and some of the other teams from the other lower leagues will be invited to switch over depending on their geography. Highland League becomes the 2nd division north. Each league winner goes into the 1st with the runners up playing off against 16th for the final place. Relegated teams go into their geographical league. A rejigging every 3 years say if things get out of kilter.

6. Some sort of national school of excellence for the best u23 players. SFA to buy or lease Murray Park perhaps?

7. Proper fair play rules where there's limits about running at a loss. Points penalties for running at a significant loss (say more than 10% of total revenue) for 1st offence. Relegation for 2nd offence.

8. More ground sharing. E.g. East Stirling and Stenhousemuir, the Dundee teams.

9. Rules in place for liquidation and transfers to a newco. Automatic place in the appropriate 2nd division. If a team was already in the 2nd they go to the lowest league available. Play off losers will come up.

Thoughts?

• Paid Members

Apparantly SPL aren't going to redo the fixture list completely and will take it game by game. The problem being that at the moment they've got nine dates where both Dundee and Dundee United are playing at home, which looks like a nightmare waiting to happen. By the sound of it the officials are hoping United have a lengthy Europa Cup run so some games can get rescheduled.

You can start by getting relegated.

I was actually thinking about relegation. With all of what's going on, if that's our level after we've done the cost cutting then so be it. Rather be a division two team living within our means than a first division team constantly making a loss, which we have been doing for quite some time. Our squad doesn't scream "challengers" or even "half decent" which worries me a fair bit. We've been trying to cut wages for some time and a lot of blame has gone to the managers, but it's pretty clear given how consistant the cost cutting has been that the cuts are coming from above. Not that I blame Douglas Rae. He just needs to stop making noises about how we can challenge for promotion.

You surely want to be there or there abouts when the inevitable restructuring comes around. you won't need to finish top.

Is Cappielow SPL ready? Last time I was there it looked far from it.

One sponsor confirms they will continue to back the SPL.

WEATHERSEAL Home Improvements Ltd (Weatherseal) have announced their continued backing for Scottish Premier League clubs in the season ahead.

After a unsettled summer during which extremely difficult decisions have been taken, Weatherseal will continue to offer complete support to the 12 clubs, including newly-promoted Dundee.

Weatherseal managing director Tony Reilly said:

Archived