2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

I think a 16 team top division would give 30 games and generate plenty of time for a proper winter break. It would also create windows throughout the season for elite training camps in an attempt to improve results for the national team. There's a guy I work with. He's from London but he's die-hard Celtic, sort of like Rod Stewart, but I said to him that Rangers going out of business is an opportunity to remake the game for the better. I was reading Rangerstaxcase today and he made a fair point; Scotland hasn't created genuine world class players for years. Other small nations concentrate their football resources and come up with quality players, why not Scotland? There has to be a widespread unification of purpose within the game. The bastion of self-interest in Scottish football has been within the halls of Ibrox. Without them, we need to prevent a repeat of that happening.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think a 16 team top division would give 30 games and generate plenty of time for a proper winter break. It would also create windows throughout the season for elite training camps in an attempt to improve results for the national team. There's a guy I work with. He's from London but he's die-hard Celtic, sort of like Rod Stewart, but I said to him that Rangers going out of business is an opportunity to remake the game for the better. I was reading Rangerstaxcase today and he made a fair point; Scotland hasn't created genuine world class players for years. Other small nations concentrate their football resources and come up with quality players, why not Scotland? There has to be a widespread unification of purpose within the game. The bastion of self-interest in Scottish football has been within the halls of Ibrox. Without them, we need to prevent a repeat of that happening.

The problem is Mikey, a 16 team league playing everyone twice means that teams are losing 3/4 home games. Potentially 2 of which would be against Celtic and possibly Newco.

For teams such as Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs that's 40,000 fans less through the gate. You'd also need teams to reduce their season ticket prices as you can't expect supporters to pay the same to watch 17% less football.

Our TV deal isn't great as it is and our teams rely on turnstile fans a lot more than you guys do in England so it would never be voted through by the clubs.

The problem is Mikey, a 16 team league playing everyone twice means that teams are losing 3/4 home games. Potentially 2 of which would be against Celtic and possibly Newco.

For teams such as Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs that's 40,000 fans less through the gate. You'd also need teams to reduce their season ticket prices as you can't expect supporters to pay the same to watch 17% less football.

Our TV deal isn't great as it is and our teams rely on turnstile fans a lot more than you guys do in England so it would never be voted through by the clubs.

The thing you are missing there MrK is that the decrease of fixture frequency could actually increase crowd numbers as there will be less chance to catch the teams at home and away each season. Combined with how teams do in Cup Runs and the League. The games which would traditionally be low attendance could be increased by a ) not being split over 4 games per season, as well as b) adding incentives for Cup Tickets and so on if people were to attend the percieved lower matches

Afaik the play each other 4 times a season is relatively new, and it is not insurmountable to change from that system. It just takes a bit of thinking outside of the box

The thing you are missing there MrK is that the decrease of fixture frequency could actually increase crowd numbers as there will be less chance to catch the teams at home and away each season. Combined with how teams do in Cup Runs and the League. The games which would traditionally be low attendance could be increased by a ) not being split over 4 games per season, as well as b) adding incentives for Cup Tickets and so on if people were to attend the percieved lower matches

Afaik the play each other 4 times a season is relatively new, and it is not insurmountable to change from that system. It just takes a bit of thinking outside of the box

Without checking the exact dates Pat, in Scotland, teams have traditionally played each other 4 times a season for at least the last 20 years. Infact, in the early 90's it was a 12 team league with 22 home games!

Surely as a football fan you know yourself that having less home games doesn't increase attendances that much! If that was the case then teams would want to play less home games considering the cost of policing, utilities, stadium employees etc.

Rangers to play in the Third Division next season. Now, is everyone ready for the complete collapse of Scottish football? I think it's due to happen some time in the next 15-20 minutes.

Beat me to it but hey, ho.

BBC Scotland's Brian McLauchlin

"BBC Scotland has learned vote taken will put Rangers Newco in Division 3"

And this is amazing IMO.

Scottish Football League chief executive David Longmuir has revealed 25 of the 30 SFL clubs voted in favour of Rangers playing in Division Three.

So we'll see the next SPL "Old Firm" clash in 2016/17 then.

• Paid Members

Someone here suggested an Old Firm Derby once a season on Sky I think. I really see that happening now, just like a charity trophy or something.

Glad to see the situation resolved finally. Means people can finally get ready for the new season.

• Paid Members
Someone here suggested an Old Firm Derby once a season on Sky I think. I really see that happening now, just like a charity trophy or something.

Glad to see the situation resolved finally. Means people can finally get ready for the new season.

Once they decide which teams will come up from each league.....

I'm very confused by all this "you'll be sorry when ye all go bust withoot the Gers!" nonsense. Did the old Rangers not just go to the wall as a consequence for their years of cheating to seat themselves at the top of the perch?

Anyways, a precedent has been set for the top flight clubs. Steal and misbehave without reproach or scruples, hit the reset button when you go tits up and you'll still get into Division 3.

This is good news. I'm pretty sure the newco will win the division at a canter but it's nice that the SFL clubs demonstrated a bit of fortitude.

• Paid Members

Once they decide which teams will come up from each league.....

Theoretically would it not just be the highest relegated team from each league (I don't know if any of the divisions relegate more than one team)

It's one up, one down between the SPL and Division One. The rest have one up, one down plus play-offs. My suspicion is that since the rules say coming bottom equals automatic relegation, Dundee will get the SPL spot (sucks to be Dunfermline, especially if the dual contracts issue should have led to Rangers getting a stack of 0-3 whitewashes) and the losing play-off team from each league underneath will go up or stay up.

• Paid Members

All these crowing twat Celtic fans have really taken the fun out of seeing Rangers go down the toilet. And I can't even wish that the same fate befalls you lot because it will only lead to Rangers fans crowing.

Fuck this shit.

Archived