2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

I've decided against renewing my season ticket for Fir Park, and am basically fed up with Scottish football. They can put Celtic & Rangers in a league of two and have them live on Sky Sports every weekend for all I care now.

Are you not just spiting yourself?

You are losing out on supporting your team each week and your club are losing out on your season ticket sale despite your club doing the correct thing and telling Rangers to get stuffed from the SPL.

Not really, no. If I was doing it to prove a point (to whom that point would be intended for I don't know) then I could agree. But I'm not.

I'm simply disillusioned by the Scottish game. If it cleans itself up over the next few years I may return.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'd bet there is an Old Firm game next season. Sky simply won't allow one not too happen. Look for some "Charity Shield" like game popping up in the near future.

In all seriousness, I wouldn't be surprised if SFL1 does have 2 promotion slots next season. I'd bet that will be the compromise for the other clubs and, again, to make sure..

• Paid Members

To use a wrestling analogy, it is like Mr. McMahon trying to help Mankind into the finals of the tournament at Survivor Series 1998. It's almost hilarious if it wasn't so sad. Sky run the show.

To use a wrestling analogy, it is like Mr. McMahon trying to help Mankind into the finals of the tournament at Survivor Series 1998. It's almost hilarious if it wasn't so sad. Sky run the show.

I've still yet to see one quote from Sky saying they're pulling out of covering the Scottish Football if there is no Rangers. Sure there'll be a lesser deal, but don't listen to the fear tactics that the SFA, SPL and SFL are employing.

• Paid Members

I've decided against renewing my season ticket for Fir Park, and am basically fed up with Scottish football. They can put Celtic & Rangers in a league of two and have them live on Sky Sports every weekend for all I care now.

Are you not just spiting yourself?You are losing out on supporting your team each week and your club are losing out on your season ticket sale despite your club doing the correct thing and telling Rangers to get stuffed from the SPL.
Not really, no. If I was doing it to prove a point (to whom that point would be intended for I don't know) then I could agree. But I'm not.I'm simply disillusioned by the Scottish game. If it cleans itself up over the next few years I may return.
Fair enough, things must be bad for you to be so fed up with your domestic league.

What makes Rangers so confident they will canter the SFL?Depends what type of team they have, alot of First Division teams have good mixtures of experience and youth. Gretna barely won the First when they were buying their way through the SFL and Dundee tried it and failed. It's not a pre-determined outcome that Rangers spend a season in the First and win it. It's a different, grittier game at that level. One of the criteria for being able to apply for the SFL is to show 3years of accounts. Newco have none, so why is this rule being ignored? Other teams like Spartans, Edinburgh City, Huntly have tried on numerous occasions to apply for the SFL and meet ALL criteria for application. So if they were to submit aplpications along with Newco (which they should be allowed to do in interest of fairness) then what's to say one of them won't get the spot?? The SPL are bricking it because they are gonna lose a fortune in revenue and that is all they care about. They would happily bend the rules, have done in the past and will do again. If this was Motherwell or Aberdeen or a team of that nature then they'd be long gone.

If this was Motherwell or Aberdeen or a team of that nature then they'd be long gone.

Exactly. The lengths our footballing authorities are going to in order to keep Rangers in the game is ridiculous. I don't think there was as much outcry when it looked as though Celtic were going to the wall in the mid 90's. I could be wrong, right enough.

• Paid Members

If this was Motherwell or Aberdeen or a team of that nature then they'd be long gone.

Exactly. The lengths our footballing authorities are going to in order to keep Rangers in the game is ridiculous. I don't think there was as much outcry when it looked as though Celtic were going to the wall in the mid 90's. I could be wrong, right enough.
.........BUT ABERDEEN AND MOTHERWELL SHOULD HAVE BEEN RELEGATED........!!! THE SPL SAVED THEM!!!! etc etc.....

Regarding TV rights, I think the main victim would actually be overseas rights. They have a contract with a media rights agency to sell the TV around the world which brings more with every contract. With no Old Firm, there's basically no deal.

Archived