Is British Wrestling too flakey?

Michael_3165

I think William Regal even said that British guys should wrestle in the traditional British style because American promoters aren't going to go through the hassle of getting work permits for British guys that wrestle the same as the guys on the American indies.

You mean like these ambassadors of the traditional British style?

Layla-El-0184.jpg

Oh come on, you can't put her in here. Was she even trained to be a pro wrestler in Britian?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Oh come on, you can't put her in here. Was she even trained to be a pro wrestler in Britian?

That isnt the point. She's a Brit abroad. The original thing was about Brits needing a British style to stand out. And thats obviously not the case. The Bulldogs were hardly a tradition British pairing were they?

Most of British Wrestling is embarrasing, which is a shame because it would be great if in some perfect world you could have a just a handful of promotions and showcase the great talent that is here because there are people who can have great matches and represent well. Too much really, really shitty execution and not much grasp of timing/psychology. Things just thrown out there by a lot of people who have never hit the gym in their life but they will remain adamant that they are having amazing matches ignoring any room for criticism because a couple of little friends tell them their shit is awesome, thus the promotion and their talent and booking improve at a snails pace if at all.

I cringe at the thought of if I were to ever attend a show and bring some non-fans.

From what I've seen sometimes here there is too much "British-ness" forced upon the shows, in that out-dated British panto sort of way. It's alright in small portions but when it's amplified it comes across as cringy, especially in 2011. I'd rather watch a wrestler come out confident and looking like he wants to win the match, not coming out going "COOOOOOOME ON, YEAH", starting multiple claps and chants the seconds he's out through the curtain but from what I gather if you don't do these things you are labelled as lacking in crowd involvement and personality because it is the "British Style" thing to do. "EAAAAASSSSSSY EASSSSSSSYY". Oh, please, shut the fuck up and put on a good, progressively worked match that doesn't have a million reverse whips and rushing to get to some flips.

Yeah, I agree with that. Too much patriotism. From the shows I've been to, I think the faces are taught to do that because the majority of the crowd are young, have Down's Syndrome, have autism or just believe in it. There doesn't seem to be much room for grey areas just in case the crowd doubt who's face and who's heel. Personally I think it's silly as everyone's doing the same thing and I'm sure if the heel had enough heat, you wouldn't need all the 'Shall I?' before punching someone panto or the clapping and stomping. There's more creative ways for a face to get over.

Despite being with three wrestling fans, I felt uneasy as I went in as it was pretty much silent. Eventually the crowd warmed up but when the show finished, it went back to silence.

nearly all the guys mentioned had a solid british grounding and most if not all did the rounds with allstar and other UK feds. Brit wrestling is still respected world wide it might be hard for you guys to comprehend but its very true, i am talking old school british style not what is passed as brit style today.

• Paid Members
And, if he counts:

sheamus.jpg

In a recent interview with Gamesmaster magazine, Sheamus said "Obviously I am and will continue to be the most successful of the British talent" -- when he's referring to himself as talent from the BritWres scene, I'd say he counts.

Indeed, I certainly regard him as BritWres. The Irish scene isn't big enough on its own so you tend to lump it together with the UK scene. He worked for most of the big British companies before signing for WWE too.

And as Ian mentioned, Layla counts, as my point was regarding Brits in WWE. I think WWE want British guys to expand on a multi-national roster in a character-sense, rather than wanting to incorporate different styles. Hence why they've brought in some of the biggest guys on the British scene that they can have work their style rather than James Mason, Doug Williams or Robbie Brookside.

I think what we should be asking is whether British wrestling is losing its identity.

I hugely respect and admire promoters who are intent on keeping the 'British style' of wrestling alive [brian Dixon with All Star, Ricky and Saraya Knight with WAW, John Fremantle with Premier Promotion]. It is essential, in my opinion, that we never fully lose our style and technique that made Britain so respected and admired throughout the entire wrestling world, to the point where wrestlers from America and Japan would actively seek to work here, and in Germany, for extended periods of time because they wanted to learn our style of wrestling.

Dont get me wrong, everything evolves, and I think companies like IPW:UK are fantastic and also hold an essential part in the progression of the British wrestling industry, showcasing young wrestlers who have taken influences from the classic British style as well as elements of Lucha, American and Japanese wrestling.

'British' or 'catch' wrestling, when done well, is the best, most believable, entertaining and credible, form of pro wrestling in the world in my opinion. Fit Finlay, Marc Rocco, Danny Collins, Dynamite Kid, Robbie Brookside, Doc Dean, Steve Regal etc. are some of the best wrestlers I have ever seen anywhere.

I genuinely hope Britain, and Europe, never loses its identity in the wrestling world. I think its vital the style evolves, but at its core we should be embracing the fact that British/Catch wrestling IS different, not everyone can do it [or do it well] and our wrestling stands out amongst the American, Mexican and Japanese style of wrestling as, technically, the best in the world.

• Moderators
Most of the British wrestling I've seen is a fuck load of hand clapping and foot stomping and panto. Lucha Britannia seem to be doing something that will appeal to the casuals.

That is a joke isn't it?

Lucha Britannia are probably the most niche product there is.

I think you got this one well wrong mate. Lucha Britannia is proper aimed at casuals. People from work go to them and they aint wrestling fans! Not at all.

It's a cultural thing, in Camdem, innit. Good venue, as near to Central London as you could get... it aint tucked out the way.

Lucha Britannia isn't the same thing as those Lucha Libre London shows at the Roundhouse btw (which are squarely aimed at non-wrestling fans).

Most of the British wrestling I've seen is a fuck load of hand clapping and foot stomping and panto. Lucha Britannia seem to be doing something that will appeal to the casuals.

That is a joke isn't it?

I think you got this one well wrong mate. Lucha Britannia is proper aimed at casuals. People from work go to them and they aint wrestling fans! Not at all.

It's a cultural thing, in Camdem, innit. Good venue, as near to Central London as you could get... it aint tucked out the way.

Lucha Britannia isn't the same thing as those Lucha Libre London shows at the Roundhouse btw (which are squarely aimed at non-wrestling fans).

Ah, my bad.

Cheers dude.

:)

• Paid Members

That is a joke isn't it?

Lucha Britannia is pretty much aimed at non-wrestling fans as well, though - they're largely aimed at the fetish club crowd.

Lucha Britannia is awful. That is all.

Have you been to an event put on by them or watched a show DVD of one of their events to come up with that opinion? Just curious.

Archived