Is British Wrestling too flakey?

Michael_3165

I think William Regal even said that British guys should wrestle in the traditional British style because American promoters aren't going to go through the hassle of getting work permits for British guys that wrestle the same as the guys on the American indies.

I think thats correct.

The problem then lies between what the wrestler and promoter wants. I want guys to wrestle like the WWE guys on my shows, but some of the wrestlers who work for me would rather wrestle like the Japs or Mexicans. Its all about finding a happy medium.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does seem a shame that most countries seem to managed to preserve their own styles, but the great British style has all but died out in favour of a a replica of WWE or US indys, depending on where you go. Not to say that the wrestling in UK shows can't be legitimately great, but it's a just a pity that there are few people representing our own kind of wrestling.

I think William Regal even said that British guys should wrestle in the traditional British style because American promoters aren't going to go through the hassle of getting work permits for British guys that wrestle the same as the guys on the American indies.

While they may have it in their locker, the British Isles guys in the WWE work the FCW/WWE style, Doug Williams is a long time veteran and can work many styles, Desmond Wolfe was trained in America and from the highlight I have seen of him I doubt you would say Pac was a British style Wrestler.

While they may have it in their locker, the British Isles guys in the WWE work the FCW/WWE style, Doug Williams is a long time veteran and can work many styles, Desmond Wolfe was trained in America and from the highlight I have seen of him I doubt you would say Pac was a British style Wrestler.

I imagine Regal means that they should train in the British style - Nigel even toured in the UK to learn how to work in this manour, and WWE sent Steve Lewington over here to learn how to work.

I remember having Billy Kidman on my show, and he was quite scared because he was afraid the British wrestlers would tie him up in knots...i'm sure he left thinking differently.

Ironically enough, Kidman ended up having at least one great British style matches, against Robbie Brookside for RQW.

British wrestling just isn't on the same level as the US. Sorry but from everything I have seen no British wrestler stands out and just looks second rate compared to anything similar in the states.

What about Johnny Saint? Or Steve Grey for that matter? They don't look second rate, despite Saint being nearly 70 and Grey being in his 50s, because they are first rate at the style they do, and none of the younger wrestlers know how to do it.

The British Style is a funny one. I love it and enjoyed doing it. I got a kick out of the reversals and the holds and counter holds. The main issue I believe is this... People have been bought up with smash ur face in, chair shot ridden WWE style for years. The want to see hard shots and great physiques. So when you put a guy out there who is doing a traditionally British Style match, casual fans shit all over it. The do because they are no educated on the sportman/one upsmanship aspect of British style. Like a game of chess. Once I got that I appreciated it a lot more. I think the issues are most people who have grown up with WWE can suspend their disbelief for a WWE match but they can't with Brit style. They think "that wouldn't work in real life" or "that looked fake" because they don't get it. There is no EDUCATION about the Brit style and so compared to WWE its mentally different. Its like kids now. They listen to Gaga and whoever else is out there (yes I feel old) but you put some classic 80s on and they think "wtf is this shit". You can't blame them for that because that's all they have known.

Sorry iam wandering but you get the idea!

British wrestling just isn't on the same level as the US. Sorry but from everything I have seen no British wrestler stands out and just looks second rate compared to anything similar in the states.

What about Johnny Saint? Or Steve Grey for that matter? They don't look second rate, despite Saint being nearly 70 and Grey being in his 50s, because they are first rate at the style they do, and none of the younger wrestlers know how to do it.

Sorry but unfortunately they DO come across as second rate to the casuals. I for one greatly respect Saint as one of my idols in terms of wrestling. I enjoy every match I see of his. But its very much a niche market in todays WWE focused industry. I think Saint was one of the greatest in the UK history no doubt. His match in LDN was awesome to watch but that's what a few lads on an internet forum want to see. That's not, unfortunately, what sells. :(

Sorry but unfortunately they DO come across as second rate to the casuals. I for one greatly respect Saint as one of my idols in terms of wrestling. I enjoy every match I see of his. But its very much a niche market in todays WWE focused industry. I think Saint was one of the greatest in the UK history no doubt. His match in LDN was awesome to watch but that's what a few lads on an internet forum want to see. That's not, unfortunately, what sells. :(

His match with Johnny Kidd for LDN headlined a nearly sold out Broxbourne Civic Hall. Obviously it's no great shakes in comparison to WWE, but it's better than plenty of promotions touting a US style.

To people who remember him from World of Sport or who are avid wrestling fans. To the casual - and that's what British wrestling needs to look to if it's going to further itself and shed itself of its current image - he's not exactly the best poster man. I'm not saying Johnny Saint is a bad wrestler of course, I'm saying that wrestling needs to be able to move on. If British wrestling is relying on a near 70 year old man to draw, something's wrong. British wrestling needs to get the right balance. Some promotions seem to want to completely dismiss 'that American shit' despite it being successful and what most of the audience are accustomed to and other promotions completely abandon British wrestling in favour of shit, choreographed looking US indy/pseudo-puro.

• Paid Members
That audience gets all the american style wrestling they could wish for on TV. Why would they pay money to see more of the same from guys they don't really know?

The audience gets all the rock music they want on TV. Why would they pay money to see more rock music at a rock concert?

If there are no guys that the audience know, then they need to see physical action that they recognise. To the core audience, this means WWE style, or - at least - very WWE influenced.

If you have to actually hit someone to make it look like you're hitting them, you're doing it wrong. Bret Hart once said that this is an art form.

Totally agree. However there's connecting lightly and making it look real (which is how it should be done) and then there's REAL light! James Mason is a perfect example of a British wrestler whose light but looks like he's clouting his opponent.

That's my point. Connect, show some power, don't kill each other but make it look good. A lot don't!

A lot may not, But we do... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpRsq7c6Dr4

Archived