Is British Wrestling too flakey?

Michael_3165

On the topic of the British style, and if it has a place on today's scene... I'm a big fan of variety. When I go to a wrestling show I like every match to offer up something different than the last. So I definitely think there's a place on every card for a World of Sport style match. You don't need to dedicate a promotion to one specific style. In fact, I find that something of a turn off. At 16 Carat this year, I thought the Colt Cabana matches really stood out, because they were completely different to everything else on the card. Change of pace. Variety. I dig that. So give me some World of Sport, give me some American Indy, give me some puro-stiffness, give me a couple of girls going at it, trot out some luchadors. No style is 'better'. Every fan has his own preferences. Give a little something for everyone.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't World of Sport matches always bore an audience to tears on a show when people are expecting more interesting stuff though? I remember reading that one of the BritWres "supershows" (possibly 1PW) had a WoS style match, and the crowd shit all over it.

• Paid Members
Don't World of Sport matches always bore an audience to tears on a show when people are expecting more interesting stuff though? I remember reading that one of the BritWres "supershows" (possibly 1PW) had a WoS style match, and the crowd shit all over it.

Really does depend on the audience, and the workers too. Johnny Kidd's usually able to wrestle that style of match and get people into it.

Maybe. I can't say I'm all that familiar with the style, and how it's been presented over the years. I figure if you do it with talented enough and popular enough guys, it'll work. Done correctly, it can be as interesting as any other style.

• Paid Members

1PW at Sheffield had Johnny Saint vs Colt Cabana, which polarised the audience. Some were chanting "Who are ya?" at Saint, others were really enjoying it. 1PW did have a lot of mongs in the audience though that shat on matches regardless of who was wrestling or in what style.

I'd say a lot of the time the WOS style matches sink is because promoters book them straight after something highflying or big spotty, making them look uneventful in comparison. Too much of a come down.

I'd also suggest that a number of "WOS style" matches are just shit, cod-technical matches done in rounds for the sake of it.

I love to watch people be stiff with each other.

1PW at Sheffield had Johnny Saint vs Colt Cabana, which polarised the audience. Some were chanting "Who are ya?" at Saint, others were really enjoying it. 1PW did have a lot of mongs in the audience though that shat on matches regardless of who was wrestling or in what style.

I loved that match! I was sat next to some tosser who was shouting "Who are ya?" and "Where's your piss bag?" which admittedly made me laugh, but at the same time pissed me off. There's probably not a technical wrestler out there today that could out wrestle Johnny Saint!

But to the point. The great thing about that show was most certainly diversity! You had El Generico Vs. Jerry Lynn which had a nice range of spots there. Jonny Saint and Colt Cabanna, a great technical bout. And the massive hardcore 1PW Tag Team Championship match that had Kris Travis & Martin Kirby against Dragon Aisu & Kevin Thorne!

That show was perfect for me because that's what I like to see when I pay money to see a wrestling event, diversity.

Some shows can falter on workers backstage communication. There's nothing worse on shows where you see an 'international' spot one match after another. Or somebody hit a big move as near fall, and then in the next match they use that same move in the heat of the match, making the guy who was nearly taken out by it pathetic in comparison to the current competitor.

As for British wrestling losing its identity. It's just moving with the times. The reason why British wrestling isn't like the old World Of Sport days is because the audience that watched wrestling then isn't the same as the audience who watch wrestling now.

Kids are the main audience when it comes to most wrestling shows. Promotors make most of their money on merchandise by selling things such as masks and figures to children. And when kids do come to see wrestling, they come to see the type of stuff they see on the TV, they want that WWE style of wrestling, and if you're planning on running more shows in the same venue, you just have to give them what they want, rather then what us as a minority would like to see.

Going back to working (again!) what is too stiff?

It's whatever the other guy thinks is too stiff. You can give some guys a reasonable bosh and they'll say that it's still too light, others will panic and think you're trying to damage them.

I once had a guy stamp his foot and make no contact when chopping me. Freaked me out, it did.

THATS what I mean! I want a bit of oomph behind it otherwise it throws you off!

I agree. I think it's Ruffneck who has frequently said something along the lines of "if he threw a punch like that and i had to sell it i'd pop him one for real".

This is always worse when it's a little guy in a match with big guy. If the smaller guy can't make his offence look like it would do some damage then the big guy is just gonna look a mug for selling it!

Though the one thing worse than this is the really obvious slapping of a body part to create the noise of a kick. The sound it makes does add to the strike but when you can see the "self slap" all the way from the bar.

Archived