TNA: "WRESTLING MATTERS HERE"

Mr. Seven

Keeping the TNA name and changing the show to Impact Wrestling is all a bit bizzarre. If they made the TV shows name non company specific for a reason, such as featuring other companies talent, it would at least make sense. But i dont see TNA being smart enough to see the potential positives of showcasing NJPW, AAA and maybe even ROH talent on their show. Sure they did it with the World X Cup stuff years ago, but they seemed to ditch that idea once they felt they were bigger than that. If TNA really want to be an alternative to WWE, then extending their working relationships with AAA and NJPW could definatly be the way to go.

Aren't those the exact companies that WCW worked with in the past... but yeah TNA reaching out more with AAA would work well and certainly with NJPW as long as the booking was down to a t and got fans in each week. Imagine AJ Styles Vs Octagon or matches like that. They ruined the deal with El Mesias him and Abyss could have made a good dominant tag team for a short to help build each other up as big strong monsters.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Keeping the TNA name and changing the show to Impact Wrestling is all a bit bizzarre. If they made the TV shows name non company specific for a reason, such as featuring other companies talent, it would at least make sense. But i dont see TNA being smart enough to see the potential positives of showcasing NJPW, AAA and maybe even ROH talent on their show. Sure they did it with the World X Cup stuff years ago, but they seemed to ditch that idea once they felt they were bigger than that. If TNA really want to be an alternative to WWE, then extending their working relationships with AAA and NJPW could definatly be the way to go.

Aren't those the exact companies that WCW worked with in the past...

For sure, but aside from that they're also 2 companies that TNA has worked with in the past and have good relations with. It certainly didnt hurt WCW.

• Paid Members

For sure, but aside from that they're also 2 companies that TNA has worked with in the past and have good relations with. It certainly didnt hurt WCW.

I'm not sure if that was supposed to be ironic or not.

I'm not sure if that was supposed to be ironic or not.

I was simply meaning that the relationships WCW built with other promotions were positives, in my opinion they definatly didnt contribute to the demise of the company. Bad booking, terrible management etc did that. As a a fan back then WCW always seemed the more global brand and that made it stand out from WWF's product at the time. TNA has presented its stars appearing on NJPW cards well through its TV show in the past, as it has with showcasing its UK tours. There is a lot more they could do to push themselves as a truly global company with a world title thats actually defended around the world or against the world's best. Expanding on the working relationships they have with AAA and NJPW would be an easy way of doing this. Both AAA and NJPW have shown interest in expanding their operations into the US, so it would benefit all concerned.

How would it benefit TNA?

Use of talent from other promotions for starters, Mexican fans might be more interested in the product if it featured more mexican stars. Its a market TNA has shown an interest in targeting, its also a market that WWE has recently pushed hard to target.

Having NJPW and AAA stars appear as stars of those promotions would be something completely different to WWE's product. TNA would appear less bush league to casual fans if its product was interpromotional and international.

TNA stars could appear more reguarly on shows in Mexico and Japan. TNA could then use footage of these shows to continue pushing themselves as a global brand. TNA do video packages quite well, the PPV preshows always come across well for example. The video packages they put on Xplosion of the UK tour were pretty good too, including the Jarrett title match in it's entirety was nice also. WWE rarely do this other than maybe a few stills or a 5 minute video of the entire tour. TNA showcase their international shows/appearances pretty well and this is something they can continue to build on.

I view these things as benefits for TNA, but thats purely my opinion. At the end of the day, TNA needs to do something that makes it different to WWE, a talent trading initative with a couple of international promotions would definatly be a start. Theyve had their star holding IWGP straps before and appearing on TV with them, theyve also highlighted their appearances on big shows in Japan. To me expanding on this just seems like a logical step.

I do agree with that the expansion needs to happen to help build a fan base out of the USA. Yes WCW did showcase them and my term of that was more of a take the piss because of the way people relate TNA and WCW like each other. But right now TNA are going to invade AAA which is something that could work well if they bought some stars back with them. That is one thing TNA need to do again, bring stars off the tours. Bring back the World X Cup if anything or just have a World Wrestling Cup type thing where it doesn't have to be X Division stars.

How would it benefit TNA?

Use of talent from other promotions for starters, Mexican fans might be more interested in the product if it featured more mexican stars. Its a market TNA has shown an interest in targeting, its also a market that WWE has recently pushed hard to target.

TNA already uses Mexican wrestlers.

Having NJPW and AAA stars appear as stars of those promotions would be something completely different to WWE's product.

So was the six-sided ring, and it didn't do them much good either. The millions of people that stopped watching WWE probably didn't do so because they wanted it to have more NJPW and AAA wrestlers. The idea that TNA has to be different from WWE by doing things that appeal to a tiny niche market of hardcore fans is absurd. TNA isn't going to expand by being a bigger-budget ROH, certainly not domestically.

TNA would appear less bush league to casual fans if its product was interpromotional and international.

Where's the evidence for this? The sort of people that bum Japanese and Mexican wrestlers are not casual fans by any stretch of the imagination.

• Paid Members

The best TNA/Impact Wrestling/Whatever news is they are going to start doing a lot more iMPACT! outside the iMPACT! Zone. The product improves so much when they have a crowd that cares and doesn't have that horrible fake crowd noise over every in ring segment.

It'll be grand if they sort out the booking team in time for it too. We can dream.

There is certainly some positives about linking up with other companies, you get to send talent away and you are'nt "burying them" on Xplosion, they could run interpromotional storylines and could run an iMPACT in Mexico that AAA would promote and in Japan that New Japan would promote.

This year on January 4th you had about 5 of TNA's top stars taking on Japanese based talent, if the public knew about a few of these guys, they could have edited out the Japanese matches, ran a few backstage segments and called it an iMPACT and it would have looked much better than the sHIT zone, they could have also do the same with AAA.

They don't have any legit Mexicans on their roster and I would guess that Prince Devitt would be a decent name to help the Irish market every now and then and be a fresh face in the X Division.

They are trying aren't they?

Who are 'They'? Is that another new stable?

It wouldn't suprise me.. They vs They with The debuting They as special referee.. The most historic moment in TNA history, it will change the landscape of profesional wrestling.. and wrestling matters, oh yeah, wrestling matters.. almost as much as Karen Jarrett's promo time..

• Paid Members
It wouldn't suprise me.. They vs They with The debuting They as special referee.. The most historic moment in TNA history, it will change the landscape of profesional wrestling.. and wrestling matters, oh yeah, wrestling matters.. almost as much as Karen Jarrett's promo time..

I think this post can sum up TNA over the past several months completely. If it were to die today, this could be lacquered on it's gravestone.

Archived