WWE Offically Changes its Name

Vipes

If McMahon is so intent on avoiding the word 'wrestling', it won't work unless they scrap Raw and SmackDown in their current formats. If their two most popular and successful weekly products continue as they are, kids and adults around the globe will continue to call WWE 'wrestling'.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
The name change doesn't bother me.

Vince is gonna fail with this new venture, WWE will struggle in a few years when the main guys leave... WWE will be out of business by 2020.

It's not like Vince hasn't had failed ventures before - the WWF/E didn't go out of business when ICOPRO, the WBF, the XFL and Smackdown Records went tits-up. And WWE will never have trouble tempting the main guys back, should they leave, which they wouldn't - with their numerous revenue streams, they make the most money of any wrestling company in the world.

The name change doesn't bother me but what does is the desperation to eliminate the word "wrestling" or "wrestler" from everything. It's sad and comical but worrying in terms of how out of touch Vince is.

As has been said many times in this thread nobody gives a toss apart from Vince so the effort is wasted and no matter what he calls it, the people fan's or not will always always see it as wrestling.

Whats next a name change for Wrestlemania? Its the only thing left with a mention of the word wrestle they have so as silly as it would be from a branding standpoint if Vince is that determined why won't he change the first bit?

• Paid Members
The name change doesn't bother me but what does is the desperation to eliminate the word "wrestling" or "wrestler" from everything. It's sad and comical but worrying in terms of how out of touch Vince is.

As has been said many times in this thread nobody gives a toss apart from Vince so the effort is wasted and no matter what he calls it, the people fan's or not will always always see it as wrestling.

Whats next a name change for Wrestlemania? Its the only thing left with a mention of the word wrestle they have so as silly as it would be from a branding standpoint if Vince is that determined why won't he change the first bit?

It's been said before that Vince would change the name in a heartbeat if the brand wasn't so established and strong.

It's been said before that Vince would change the name in a heartbeat if the brand wasn't so established and strong.

He seems pretty determined right now, it wouldn't shock me if he tries.

• Paid Members

Well of course. If it isnt making money whats the point? WCW's brand was so damaged, WWF count find a timeslot for it in 2001, even though they were the knew owners. If WrestleMania suddenly became a liability to them, why would they keep the name? He invented the name, so I'm sure he's happy with it.

If you read the press release he seems to recognise that the 'core product' is wrestling; he simply seems to object to the business as a whole being typecast as wrestling, which I unfortunately see some logic in.

Though, it does seem weird that the guy that has enjoyed the most extravagant lifestyle off of wrestling's money seems to be so embarrassed by it..

*coincidentally, the Louis Theroux wrestling episode is on right now and the first guy that greets him at WCW immediately tries to separate the company from wrestling. I don't think it's Vince's disease alone*

• Paid Members

Well of course. If it isnt making money whats the point? WCW's brand was so damaged, WWF count find a timeslot for it in 2001, even though they were the knew owners. If WrestleMania suddenly became a liability to them, why would they keep the name? He invented the name, so I'm sure he's happy with it.

Not the point I was making. He's not happy with 'Wrestle' being part of the name, but won't change it because its so well established as an event.

• Paid Members

Not the point I was making. He's not happy with 'Wrestle' being part of the name, but won't change it because its so well established as an event.

That's what I got from that too. I also thought you were saying he'd change it if the brand was less strong than it is now, not if it was not making any at all.

I wouldn't be surprised if Raw became like DWTS. Each week we see the competitors rehearse there routine and then perform in front of a live studio audience.

The name change doesn't bother me.

Vince is gonna fail with this new venture, WWE will struggle in a few years when the main guys leave... WWE will be out of business by 2020.

spoken like a tna fanboy on 411's comments section. wwe will still be here when we are all old

• Paid Members

I was watching Chris Benoit: Entertaining With Demons earlier.

Terrible what happened to him, but in his prime he was an excellent scientific entertainer.

Anyway, I'm off to YouTube to look up some backyard entertaining.

• Paid Members

Its been incorrectly called wrestling for decades now anyway. All these people going on, bolding their words, saying "when I watch wrestlers wrestle each other at Wrestlemania on a wrestling show and bla bla bla" are hilarious. Its not wrestling, never has been, and never will be. So whats the big deal?

Archived