WWE Offically Changes its Name

Vipes

• Paid Members
Might wanna change that sig tom.

That "victory" still happened though despite it only being the first leg. I need something to cling to seems as we've Arsenaled it up again :(. The alternative is an "Arsenal, we're gonna win fuck all" sig that would always be accurate

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What amazes me is the fact that Vince and Co have legit made billions of dollars over the years from "Wrestling"

And he's been calling it sports entertainment for most of that time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqi1VUXi2cI

You keep throwing that fact out there like it should make everyone go..

"oh yeah. I'll shut up then"

When really that isn't the point at all.

Vince can call it what he likes (and he does) and yes he has done so for a long time, but you make it sound like "wrestling" being a banned word has been the case for decades, which is rubbish. Vince may have called it "Sports Entertainment" in the 80s, but he didn't force Monsoon, Heenan and Jesse to also use that term on commentary. He didn't insist on all his wrestlers never using the word "wrestling" nor did he bollock them for calling themselves "wrestlers".

Surely you can see that it's gone beyond being a nice term to use when talking to sponsors or mainstream press, and it's now something that is forced upon the product, much like the use of "WWE Universe" instead of fans.

Wasn't the term mainly used in the 80s when Vince made a big effort to make it clear they were not a "sport" so at not to pay sports commissions in each state? It was just a technicality to avoid paying out, it wasn't something plastered all over everything, and using the word "wrestling" certainly wasn't a punishable offense.

Surely you can see that it's gone beyond being a nice term to use when talking to sponsors or mainstream press, and it's now something that is forced upon the product, much like the use of "WWE Universe" instead of fans.

That's true. I bet when Hulk Hogan comes back, they'll call his fans "Hulkamaniacs" or something equally stupid instead of the classic "wrestling fans, specifically Hulk Hogan fans" that they used in the 80s and 90s. Evil Vince is determined to destroy Our Great Sport. Long live the Gabe.

That's true. I bet when Hulk Hogan comes back, they'll call his fans "Hulkamaniacs" or something equally stupid instead of the classic "wrestling fans, specifically Hulk Hogan fans" that they used in the 80s and 90s. Evil Vince is determined to destroy Our Great Sport. Long live the Gabe.

Good work avoiding the valid points I made and instead cracking a joke.

Yeah, i think Vince is EVIL and Gabe is the King. You keep on fighting that strawman.

Vince can call it what he likes (and he does) and yes he has done so for a long time, but you make it sound like "wrestling" being a banned word has been the case for decades, which is rubbish. Vince may have called it "Sports Entertainment" in the 80s, but he didn't force Monsoon, Heenan and Jesse to also use that term on commentary. He didn't insist on all his wrestlers never using the word "wrestling" nor did he bollock them for calling themselves "wrestlers".

When did he start doing that?

What?

What?

The bolded bit. When did he start doing that?

• Paid Members
Hang on a minute - is the suggestion here that KFC just started branding themselves solely as "KFC" rather than actually printing "Kentucky Fried Chicken" on the packaging/marketing not because it was sharper and punchier, but that they wanted to distance themselves from being in the "chicken" industry?

In which case, what the hell am I putting in my mouth, BY GOLLY?

I seem to remember something about how KFC now uses chickens genetically modified not to have feathers, so as to avoid wasting time with the plucking, and that therefore they can't technically be called chickens, or something like that. Probably one of those apocryphal stories or urban myths, but I've not really checked it up.

What?

The bolded bit. When did he start doing that?

Blimey, are you trying to be difficult with this? You've bolded random bits and half-sentences, but I'll try my best....

While 'banned' might be a bit strong, it's blatantly obvious that they have made a decision to avoid using the words "wrestling" or "wrestler" on-air, over the last few years. I can't remember the last time I heard an interview where someone said "....and I'm wrestling (whoever) at the next PPV". They always use "facing" or "meeting" or "going one-on-one with".

That wasn't the case through the 80s or 90s, from what I remember. Guys like Bret Hart, Ric Flair, Kurt Angle etc... would frequently call themselves the "greatest wrestler" on the planet. Doesn't happen any more.

Likewise, the commentators used to have no problem using terms like "wrestling match" and "wrestlers", where as now they avoid those terms and substitute them for something else.

You know all this, by the way, because you are not thick. I honestly don't get why you feel the need to deny the obvious.

I'm pretty sure that Matt Striker got a fair few bollockings through his head-set for banging on about wrestling moves and wrestlers of old. Me saying "Vince bollocks his talent for calling themselves 'wrestlers' " is overstating things probably. But that doesn't change the fact that they have clearly all been told to use other words to describe themselves and their profession.

• Paid Members

I dont see the big deal. I mean, its not wrestling anyway, is it? Wrestling is what we have been incorrectly calling it for years, cause thats just the way it was. But lets face it, its not wrestling, its not remotely close to wrestling. So lets all just get over it and move on.

Hang on a minute - is the suggestion here that KFC just started branding themselves solely as "KFC" rather than actually printing "Kentucky Fried Chicken" on the packaging/marketing not because it was sharper and punchier, but that they wanted to distance themselves from being in the "chicken" industry?

In which case, what the hell am I putting in my mouth, BY GOLLY?

I seem to remember something about how KFC now uses chickens genetically modified not to have feathers, so as to avoid wasting time with the plucking, and that therefore they can't technically be called chickens, or something like that. Probably one of those apocryphal stories or urban myths, but I've not really checked it up.

As fun as the nonsense is about species 4571 or whatever it's meant to be called is the more banal and widely accepted version is that the marketing folks and focus groups returned the verdict that fried = unhealthy & fattening, so that branding had to go. Some nonsense about diversifying beyond chicken as well IIRC. [citation needed]

Archived