WWE Offically Changes its Name

Vipes

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the sole reason why the actual 'wrestling' tv shows and pay per views are struggling. Vince and his entire team are more focussed on branching out into every other facet of entertainment.

They need to face facts and realize, people tune in to see professional wrestling in some way, shape or form. When the wrestling and storylines don't draw you in, people are going to tune off and stop ordering pay per view events. Sure they might get some financial growth in other areas but surely the amount of people watching Raw on a single Monday night is FAR more than those going to, or buying on DVD, The Chaperon or whatever film they've brought out.

Thank god we've avoided headache of getting rid of the word 'wrestling' this is good on all accounts. I doubt the product is going to change drastically if at all after this whatsoever, plus the moment they got the F out you would never hear JR him shout 'This match is for the World Wrestling Entertainment Championship' and the belt was never announced before a match as being called that. I think if Vince does ever sell the company; the word wrestling etc will creep back in because I can't envision someone who hates the word wrestling buying the company. So its not really making the company that much more appealing to business gurus who hate the industry, is it?

• Paid Members
This is the sole reason why the actual 'wrestling' tv shows and pay per views are struggling.

It's not even one of the reasons. Business has been going down for years. Even when Smackdown was the "all wrestling, all the time" show business was still falling alarmingly.

This is just a different way of branding the company. Let's not even try and pretend that the commentators never saying "World Wrestling Entertainment" in full anymore is going to turn people off the product.

Vince is a nutter, he is so desperate to say he was successful in the "entertainment" industry he wants to change the model of the company.

Some people are defending the name change, its not that so much that bugs me, its that he clearly wants to get as far away from wrestling as possible, not just in name sake either.

Its no wonder his core shows have been getting shit, because he wants to branch out, it seems this direction closes doors on many things for me, I guess anything resembling 80s and 90s early 00's wrestling is defently out the window.

To be fair, in the last 5 years we should have seen this coming, I kept watching or reading up on things in the hope WWE would hit the reset button, but I guess this is just where Vince wants to take things.

I can already see in his crazy head, them some how rebranding wrestlemania in the next 3 years, perhaps at WM30, SuperMania? I mean that word "wrestling" just has to go dont it.

• Paid Members

If people can stop getting their knickers in a twist over the rebranding then they will see there are some far more important things mentioned in that press release. First of, the company is undergoing a full scale diversification which is going to require lots of financial and resource outlay. Furthermore, they're now going to be outsourcing all the production. While I'm sure that it will stay the same we could see some new nuances to the production. I noticed a range of new shots being used during Wrestlemania, and seeing as the other moves had already produced results Im guessing that the new shots were a result of the new production team. Finally, they've actually outlined the intention to create a 'WWE network' after years of speculation, and are going to be aggressively seeking content. Again, this is going to require a lot of financial and resource outlay. WWE is about to undergo its biggest transformation in a decade and it's actually a very risky one. Interesting times indeed.

• Paid Members

This name change is really unimportant. Does anyone on here even say World Wrestling Entertainment? Or if we buy order DVD say "its a World Wrestling Entertainment DVD" to the woman behind the counter. Anyone who lived through the WWF name change wont be bothered by this. It felt like the world had came to an end that day. World Wrestling Entertainment is a poor name anyway. Never sounded right.

If people can stop getting their knickers in a twist over the rebranding then they will see there are some far more important things mentioned in that press release. First of, the company is undergoing a full scale diversification which is going to require lots of financial and resource outlay. Furthermore, they're now going to be outsourcing all the production. While I'm sure that it will stay the same we could see some new nuances to the production. I noticed a range of new shots being used during Wrestlemania, and seeing as the other moves had already produced results Im guessing that the new shots were a result of the new production team. Finally, they've actually outlined the intention to create a 'WWE network' after years of speculation, and are going to be aggressively seeking content. Again, this is going to require a lot of financial and resource outlay. WWE is about to undergo its biggest transformation in a decade and it's actually a very risky one. Interesting times indeed.

I think you have it the wrong way around...

WWE plan to start branching and using their own (very experienced) Live Event Production Crew and doing other, non-wrestling events. Not that they are bringing in new people to produce their shows.

I suppose it's sad in a way, but we are already fans and we know what we are watching without them mentioning the word all the time. It's just that now wrestling is one part of what the overall WWE do. They've said they will remain loyal to what got them there which is wrestling and I believe that will be so, especially with HHH waiting in the wings. Thank god for him, things may have been different had Stephanie not married him.

• Paid Members

Ultimately, this really doesn't matter all that much. From a fan perspective, nothing's really changed - everyone, from smark to casual, calls it "wrestling", and I'm pretty sure Vince knows this and doesn't really care.

• Paid Members

I think you have it the wrong way around...

WWE plan to start branching and using their own (very experienced) Live Event Production Crew and doing other, non-wrestling events. Not that they are bringing in new people to produce their shows.

Point well made, I misread that. Other points still stand!

It really doesn't matter, but it is slightly worrying. How long until Wrestlemania is simply rebranded as "WWE Mania"? And, although highly unlikely but not compeltely out of the question, how long until WWE stops showing wrestling full stop?

• Paid Members

The only thing that grates about this new faze (or even hyper faze) Vince McMahon is going through is using the word 'entertainer'. It just doesn't sound right. Everytime somebody says it, it takes me out of what I'm watching.

What's funny about this happening when it has is their new big show features people dropping the 'W' bomb all the time - even the coaches. Also when The Rock is interviewed on big time chat shows with huge exposure they crave, whenever the topic of WWE comes up (like Leno a few days ago) he always calls it wrestling.

Like Ian says, I always call it WWE (well I usually call it wrestling but when I don't...). So no big deal. I think the biggest problem WWE have with their name is people still refer to it as WWF, 8 years after the name change.

I suppose it's sad in a way, but we are already fans and we know what we are watching without them mentioning the word all the time. It's just that now wrestling is one part of what the overall WWE do. They've said they will remain loyal to what got them there which is wrestling and I believe that will be so, especially with HHH waiting in the wings. Thank god for him, things may have been different had Stephanie not married him.

It's not just "one part" though, it's pretty much all of it.

They don't produce Toys and merch, they license others to do it, using the images and words associated with their Wrestlers and Wrestling Events.

They do produce their own DVDs, but they are almost entirely Wrestling PPV Events or collections of matches from Wrestlers.

They produce Tough Enough now, but that (again) is entirely based upon the idea of making it to their Wrestling company.

They can spin it any way they want, but every time they have tried to branch out in a direction that doesn't directly relate to Pro Wrestling and it's own Wrestling TV product, it falls flat on it's arse (WBF, XFL, WWE Records etc).

By making the product shit-hot, they'd actually get more opportunity to move into the mainstream than they have now. Rock was all over TV during the attitude era because he was a hugely popular celebrity, wrestler or not! They'd love it if Cena was asked to host Saturday Night Live and do a song with Wyclef (well, rather someone equally relevant now). That stuff might happen if their product was great and everyone and their dog were watching RAW each week. Wrestler will get movie offers and mainstream TV work if their fan base demands it. Instead we get WWE producing it's own, in-house films. They suck and nobody watches them.

The actual name doesn't really matter at the end of the day, but the attitude that "we are better than just rasslin bookers" is hurting the product, and thus the fanbase.

There are tonnes of little things that work to make wrestling great, and they seem to be trying to forget most of them. Stuff like keeping Heels strong until the absolute perfect blow-off moment. Making consequences for things matter, honouring stipulations so they continue to have impact. Treating wins and loses (the big ones, anyway) like they really matter. Going with the flow of your fans - if the audience starts to turn on someone, start planning for it so it works in your favour, don't put it off so long you get fan resentment.

There are loads more, but you get my drift.

And, although highly unlikely but not compeltely out of the question, how long until WWE stops showing wrestling full stop?

The mass exodus of talent will go elsewhere and everything will continue under different leadership. Wrestlers still love wrestling, even if McMahon doesn't.

Archived