WWE Offically Changes its Name

Vipes

It's no big deal at all. I find wrestlers who stress that they are "wrestlers" and companies who claim to be "wrestling" to be far more annoying. Just a bunch of marks who take themselves way too seriously trying to make something that's a big work into something real.

This is not as ridiculous as certain people out there who claim everything they see in sports and entertainment is a form of pro wrestling when there's no connection at all.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I heard from somebody whos job it is to go round and make sure standards are up in various bakeries, food establishment etc... that KFC was renamed thusly, because of the amount of water that's pumped into the chickens to make them larger they'd face problems if they advertised them as being chickens. Also that McDonalds put a bit of salad in their burgers, because of the amount of sweeteners they pump into the burgers and the buns they'd be classified as a dessert otherwise. Who knows though?

What I do know is that WRESTLING has a rich and glorious past and Vince McMahon and Kevin Dunce can have whatever lowly, snobby opinion of it that they want, but like it or not, WRESTLING is what's made them billionaires/millionaires and until they stop featuring a WRESTLING ring (not 'entertainment ring' though I wish they would call it that, because of how worryingly illegal it sounds) with WRESTLERS (not 'entertainers') in it, it will always be a WRESTLING company. So fuck you both, elitist pricks.

I'm surprised they haven't changed the name from ring to something else, as everyone knows that southern rasslin' took place in a ring and WWE takes place in, I dunno, a Sports Entertainment stage.

Squared circle?

TNA - We are wrestling. That used to be annoying.

That was annoying because they tried so hard to make it known that they were professional wrestling and not sports entertainment, but their TV product said the complete opposite.

That was annoying because they tried so hard to make it known that they were professional wrestling and not sports entertainment

Those two terms are just two ways of saying the same thing. Only weird bellends like Vince McMahon and the worst kind of tugtugs think otherwise.

That was annoying because they tried so hard to make it known that they were professional wrestling and not sports entertainment

Those two terms are just two ways of saying the same thing. Only weird bellends like Vince McMahon and the worst kind of tugtugs think otherwise.

They may be two terms that say the same thing, but I would argue that the general public wouldn't necessarily know they are the same thing.

I think if you asked Joe Public what "Sports Entertainment" was he would likely not have a clue. If you said "what's Pro Wrestling" they'd almost certainly know.

It just seems silly to try and re-brand something that is already so widely known. It's like the most successful Circus in the world banning the use of the word "circus" from all it's advertising, then insisting on calling itself "Live Performance Entertainment" or something.

They may be two terms that say the same thing, but I would argue that the general public wouldn't necessarily know they are the same thing.

I think if you asked Joe Public what "Sports Entertainment" was he would likely not have a clue. If you said "what's Pro Wrestling" they'd almost certainly know.

The only people who know the term "sports entertainment" are people who've heard it whilst watching wrestling. It's an utterly meaningless term that does nobody any harm or good, yet people with peculiar DVD collections or jobs in WWE PR seem obsessed with separating it from "pro wrestling."

It just seems silly to try and re-brand something that is already so widely known. It's like the most successful Circus in the world banning the use of the word "circus" from all it's advertising, then insisting on calling itself "Live Performance Entertainment" or something.

Exactly. It's nonsense. And it'd be even more absurd if their biggest fans only noticed the re-branding about thirty years later and started idolising some lads who set up a circus in their back garden with the slogan "this is a real circus, not that live performance entertainment shit!" Everyone apart from the oddballs would still see the successful one as the standard-bearer of a good circus, regardless of how they were trying to rename their genre.

The only people who know the term "sports entertainment" are people who've heard it whilst watching wrestling. It's an utterly meaningless term that does nobody any harm or good, yet people with peculiar DVD collections or jobs in WWE PR seem obsessed with separating it from "pro wrestling."

Exactly. It's nonsense. And it'd be even more absurd if their biggest fans only noticed the re-branding about thirty years later and started idolising some lads who set up a circus in their back garden with the slogan "this is a real circus, not that live performance entertainment shit!" Everyone apart from the oddballs would still see the successful one as the standard-bearer of a good circus, regardless of how they were trying to rename their genre.

What do you mean by that bit in bold?

I was half asleep when watching Raw live on Monday night, Michael Cole was describing a past Wrestlemania or something like that, and he used the word 'Entertainment' when the word needed was 'Wrestling'. I'm sorry I can't remember what was said, but it made me think back to that WWE Publicist that told a media site not to bill them as a Wrestling company anymore.

The point I'm trying to make is that I am not surprised if such a discussion to drop the word 'Wrestling' took place in a meeting.

I would like to think its just Cole adding another layer to his heel act but I honestly wouldn't be suprised if the word "wrestling" has been banned from being said on the air.

I was under the impression that it had been for years.

Archived