WWE Offically Changes its Name

Vipes

Even if this is true how on earth could they possibly drop the "wrestle" from Wrestlemania?

Entertainments now presents Wrestlemania, kind of defeats the purpose of what they are trying to do.

Would Vince be mad enough to change the name? I remember they were going to get rid of Suviour Series at one point, but that doesnt have the word wrestle slap bang in it, bet he wished he never listened to that bloke that came up with the name Wrestlemania now.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure Vince likes to tell himself and his shareholders that, after the abject failure of his attempts to branch out with the XFL and the WBF in the past, he's now a successful entertainment mogul in his own right because he has a film studio, a record company, and makes shitloads out of video games and internet marketing.

The only problem is that every aspect of his empire is only as successful as it is (and that's not saying much in the case of the film division) because of the wrestling. Take away the wrestling product at the centre of it all and all you have is a load of awful, sub-channel 5 films starring a few wooden z-listers, a couple of compilation albums of generic emo rock and a series of mediocre beat-'em-up games that nobody would buy. Much as he probably likes to kid himself otherwise, producing a wrestling promotion is the only thing Vince and the WWE do really well, and without it all those others departments of WWE inc. would be a colossal money pit.

• Paid Members
Entertainments now presents Wrestlemania, kind of defeats the purpose of what they are trying to do.

Its like I said earlier on. The thinking might be that the WWE could be an entertainment company that stages a TV show with a wrestling theme. Like a sitcom or a drama, where wrestling takes a backseat to the characters and storylines. Like The Office. Its less about the actual office than it is about the love affair between Dawn and Tim, and David Brent being mental. So if say someone says "is it a wrestling show?" Vince can turn around and say "no, its a TV show, just like Friends. Its just we present a certain theme, just like Friends presents a certain theme". Thats what they might be aiming for. If WWE Studios became a big company, then they'd say Raw and Smackdown is just another extention of the actual company. It means fuck all though, because WWE is wrestling. My Dad calls it wrestling, my Mam calls it wrestling, My mates call it wrestling. Its a wrestling promotion, no matter what they try and call it.

I miss the days of matches actually being called by the announcers. Ignoring the in-ring action has been common practice in WWE for years, but the first time I became REALLY conscious of it was on the Old School edition of RAW in November when Jim Ross came out to commentate on Daniel Bryan's match. Here we had arguably the best announcer in the history of the business being able to interact with the actions of one of the most accomplished 'wrestlers' on the current roster. It was a match made in heaven - for about fifteen minutes. Of course during the progression of a match I expect to hear references to feuds, maybe some hype for a match/appearance later on the show or some shilling of a PPV: but first and foremost, I expect the announcers to call what is going on in the ring.

These days, it seems Michael Cole, Jerry Lawler, Josh Mathews etc actively attempt to talk about anything other than the wrestling: and when they do, there is no mention of suplexes, backdrops, irish whips, neckbreakers or spinebusters, but usually a vague blanket statement like: "WOW! He won't be getting up from...that any time soon!"

Wasn't that also the case back when Vince was commentating and movesets (according to the commentators) consisted of "whattamaneuver" and finishers?

I don't mind referring to a move in vague terms, the thing that bothers me is when commentators ignore the key parts of the action entirely. Which does happen a fair bit in WWE.

Wasn't that also the case back when Vince was commentating and movesets (according to the commentators) consisted of "whattamaneuver" and finishers?

I don't mind referring to a move in vague terms, the thing that bothers me is when commentators ignore the key parts of the action entirely. Which does happen a fair bit in WWE.

Yeah, it winds me up too.

They don't seem to realise that by making the 'moves' and who 'wins' far less important, also makes the wrestlers less important.

I know I'm a jaded old bastard now, but there was a time when i was a young wrestling fan, and I loved learning what new moves were called. I loved hearing guys like Gorilla or Ross explain why certain things were done (even if it was a load of bollocks) or explaining certain strategies in matches.

Every time a new wrestler turned up, the first thing I'd look for was his (hopefully cool) new finishing move. Half the lower-end WWE guys these days don't even have one (that I know, anyway).

It all adds to the importance of what is going on. Would Bret Hart have gotten so over if the announcers hadn't bothered making a bit deal about what a great technical wrestler he was, and how he had a counter for everything? They sure sold me on the bloke. While trying to move away from Hogan and Warrior, they used Bret's technical skills and athleticism to push him as a new type of main-event talent.

What amazes me is the fact that Vince and Co have legit made billions of dollars over the years from "Wrestling", are known the world over for it, and if the regular Joe in the street is asked to name a wrestler he usually say Hulk Hogan. But all this seems to be a major embarrassment for them. I really cant get my head round having such a successful business but being so ashamed of it. I get that he wanted to get away from the southern "rasslin" image but fuck me that was over 25 years ago. Fans know , for the most part, how it works so its not like they hear the word "Wrestling" and think of hillbillys sweating in a tiny gym in front of toothless inbreds.

If he really is that ashamed then maybe he should just step aside, reitre with his multimillion dollar houses and let someone who cares about WRESTLING to take over and run a WRESTLING company.

Archived