The Far-Right - An Emerging Force In European Politics?

David

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

An

of Peter Lavelle's Crosstalk show, which features an in depth interview with Tommy Robinson of the EDL.

The show raises a few interesting and extremely valid points regarding the rise of the far right in the UK and other European countries. Apparently there was a poll carried out by The Mail online (I know, I know) which showed that just under half of those polled would vote for a far-right party if they dropped the violence and fascist imagery, whilst Madame Le Pen is ahead in the polls for the French Presidential elections next year.

This information is pretty worrying for anyone with a reasonable level of intelligence.

What is the general view of the more politically-minded members of the forum? Is this a serious threat to our society in the UK? Or will the various far-right parties always remain on the fringes of mainstream politics?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been mentioning this for years, no one listens especially in the more racially problematic boroughs you only have to see support for the EDL when they came to town and the rise for the BNP in everywhere from Oldham to Blackburn plus the prevailent us and them attitudes to know it isnt just an underground thing anymore..

I don't think they're much of a threat. I do think the idea that us Brits are quite apathetic does stop extremism of both the left and right really gaining relevant footholds.

France has been dancing with a far right government for years and Eastern Europe is mired with them popping up in a few places.

They've had extreme left wing governments that didn't work, they grew tired of the centrists so go the other way for a few years to right wing governments that don't work, it's a pendulum.

I've often said that the only thing stopping a far-right political entity from coming to power here in England is celebrity endorsement, people are so stupid these days that they'd vote for anything endorsed by Cheryl Cole or Wayne Rooney.

Marine Le Pen is making headway in France because the left is so fractured. If the left got behind a coalition candidate and make it clear they're not going to accept a dreadful centre-right candidate as the lesser of two evils then maybe they could get somewhere. Le Pen will win nothing. It will be the same as 2002, where everybody will rally against the far right as they did with Chirac against her father.

There's been a notable underbelly of a movement of the far-right on Continental Europe now for about the last 15 years or more - the FN in France has had notable support since the 80's, the Vlamms Blok ended up being banned in Belgium, the Freedom Party in Austria getting into government, The Swiss Peoples Party being the largest party in Switzerland, Lega Nord in Italy, Swedish Democrats, Geert Wilders Party For Freedom in the Netherlands etc. The UK has been relatively low key compared to many of its neighbours.

Marine Le Pen is making headway in France because the left is so fractured. If the left got behind a coalition candidate and make it clear they're not going to accept a dreadful centre-right candidate as the lesser of two evils then maybe they could get somewhere. Le Pen will win nothing. It will be the same as 2002, where everybody will rally against the far right as they did with Chirac against her father.

I remember the slogans that went around for the run-off election once JM LePen got through to the final round

"Vote for the crook, not the Nazi!"

I don't really think it will become a problem, as the vast mainstream of public opinion rejects the sort of racism and bigotry that fascism tends to represent. There are plenty of people in this country who have strong feelings over immigration etc etc but would never ever consider voting for the BNP.

I'm of the opinion that the more air you give them, the less influential that sort of group becomes. As a country, we've always rejected fascism, and I don't think that will change.

I agree that as a country I can't see us suddenly supporting fascism. I'll agree that there might be a crowing trend to supporting far right groups for the minority of the country but it wont' amount to anything more. I do, unfortuntely, know a few people who have voted BNP but arn't true supporters and know very little about politics anyway. I think they've been deluded by certain elements of the media which might lead to people to see certain right wing policies as being ideal.

But then its nothing new really. When fascism was growing before WWII we had our own share of believers in it. There were people who shared anti-Jewish sentiments along with certain countries in the continent but even without the war I don't think it would have ever kicked into a higher gear.

Whilst these groups may never gain power on a national level, the fact remains that the BNP for example, had something like 56 Councillors in 2008, and had a member elected to the London Assembly (who has since been expelled for plotting against Griffin apparently).

They did lose a fair chunk of their local representation in the local elections last year, but still hold somewhere in the region of 28 council seats nationally. Throw in the fact that they managed to score over half a million votes in the 2010 general election, and party chairman Nick Griffin won almost 15% of the vote in Barking. My guess is that it's fair to say they aren't quite as out on the fringes as some would like to believe, especially when it comes to local politics.

What this highlights to me is the complete inadequacy of the various left-wing parties in this country to get their collective shit together, especially when it comes to Scotland.

Funnily enough, it would appear that Sinn F

party chairman Nick Griffin won almost 15% of the vote in Barking.

He got raped in that election! Considering the amount of cash they put into Barking, 15% is a miserable return, and only helps to underline the fact that spending 5 minutes with someone like Griffin is enough to convince you NOT to vote for him.

• Paid Members

It's also worth noting that it's extremely rare for a BNP councillor to be re-elected. From what I can gather, it might be as low as four councillor's reelected, and a large proportion don't even make it to the end of their first term.

Archived