The Far-Right - An Emerging Force In European Politics?

David

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was under the assumption that you meant that without the violence/fascism you were left with all right wing politics. In fact, I explicitly remember reading the word 'all'.

Apologies. I was clearly rushing to show how cosmopolitan in my politics I was.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No worries :) I'm a big Ken Clarke fan. In fact, if there was some sort of political party that actually put forward a set of policies in line with his general ideology, I think I'd be quite tempted. There's a sort of a gap just right of centre for a genuinely liberal, old-school Whig style party.

I'm struggling to think of any other current members of the British parliament who can make it into my fantasy cabinet. Mainly because the one pre-requisite I have is that they seem like not a proper arse at all times; that even discounts most of the politicians I actually agree with.

For me, there's just a dislocation between the ideals the purport to espouse, and the policies they actually come up with.

Cameron is a good example. On the surface, his "ideals" align quite closely with mine - liberal, compassionate ideology, with an instinctive dislike of big state bureaucracy and an approach based on personal responsibility. However, that's all bullshit when you look at his policies, his actions, his social circle and generally just look at him and listen to him.

That's why I like Vince Cable so much. He's operated at a very high level in business, but still retains his liberal beliefs and acts on them. He was bang on the money about the financial crisis before it happened, and actually seems to have tried to use his unexpected rise to power to get some common sense working in goverment (and been punished for it). The fact he bragged a bit to a couple of pretty girls only makes me like him more.

And Ken - is Ken, says what he feels, has close links to business but is proud of them, has become a bit of an evangelist for a shake-up of the justice system which is long overdue. It's as if he and Portill have somehow met in the middle. They should start an offshoot of the Tories, those two, if they could thrash out areas of agreement.

Despite adopting all of the vacuous aspects of American personality politics, we've failed to grasp the substantial part; which is, having politics with rich and diverse personalities.

In America each party has a tonne of senators/governors with individual personalities, who get followers lining up behind them. In this country there are so few personalities because they all get whipped into singing from the same hymn sheet on almost anything, when in reality it should be saved for parliamentary votes.

*EDIT* Three more for my list; Peter Mandelson (controversial, I know), Paddy Ashdown and Hilary Benn. I'm also contemplating Oliver Letwin and Douglas Alexander, too. I'm so bored I might have a go at an actual fantasy Cabinet.

...so sad.

Despite adopting all of the vacuous aspects of American personality politics, we've failed to grasp the substantial part; which is, having politics with rich and diverse personalities.

In America each party has a tonne of senators/governors with individual personalities, who get followers lining up behind them. In this country there are so few personalities because they all get whipped into singing from the same hymn sheet on almost anything, when in reality it should be saved for parliamentary votes.

*EDIT* Three more for my list; Peter Mandelson (controversial, I know), Paddy Ashdown and Hilary Benn. I'm also contemplating Oliver Letwin and Douglas Alexander, too. I'm so bored I might have a go at an actual fantasy Cabinet.

...so sad.

Let's have Prescott. He looks like he can still go.

Archived