SmackDown! results ***SPOILERS***

Mr.Showtime

wrestlingheadlines:

- Thanks to Gerald M. for the following live WWE SmackDown spoilers from tonight's tapings in Ohio, airing this Friday on SyFy:

* Edge opens the show and talks about Alberto Del Rio but is interrupted by Drew McIntyre. Teddy Long comes out and announces Edge vs. Drew for later tonight.

* Edge defeated Drew McIntyre with the Sharpshooter.

* Cody Rhodes attacks Rey Mysterio and challenges him for WrestleMania 27. Cody says he will expose Rey's face at Mania.

* Backstage segment with Kane and The Corre

* Backstage, The Corre offer help to Kane in his match later tonight against Big Show.

* Santino Marella and Vladimir Kozlov beat Heath Slater and Justin Gabriel in a non-title match.

* Christian's return for next week is announced.

* The Undertaker comes out and talks about the streak, WrestleMania and Triple H.

* Michelle McCool and Layla beat Beth Phoenix and Rosa Mendes

* Big Show beat Kane. The Corre came down, gave Kane a chair and he used it on Show. Show pushes one of them into Kane and Kane chases The Corre off.

* Jack Swagger and Michael Cole hype up Cole's match with Jerry Lawler at WrestleMania.

* Jack Swagger beat JTG in a squash.

* Edge and Alberto Del Rio's contract signing is up next with Teddy Long overseeing. Del Rio and Edge ended up going at it. Edge busts his nose. Christian runs down to make the save to end the show.

As much as Cody v Rey will be a fine match, I'm sick of the 'Mysterio could be unmasked' angle. Jericho and CM Punk have done it in recent years. I don't think it will help things.

Oh and the Corre are just as shit as Nexus, which shouldn't really be possible.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The show looks quite good, as I'm really looking forward to seeing The Undertaker's promo and I'm interested in this Edge and Christian reunion. But yet another Heath Slater and Justin Gabriel Vs Santino Marella and Vladimir Kozlov match? They really need to sort out a decent tag team division again, it's near enough dead.

I have a feeling Drew McIntyre is the post-WM 'big heel' - it doesn't feel like he's getting jobbed out for the sake of it; rather it strikes me that they are letting guys like Edge go over him to facilitate them doing the job in the future.

Im quite liking the Corre/Big Show feud i have to admit, i like the way they have held off the Big Show/Big Zeke confrontation just yet aswell.

A 8 man tag featuring the Corre against the Big Show/Kane, maybe Kofi as he has nothing to do, and someone like Nash would be a excellent opener for Mania in my opinion.

Not a hint of MITB qualifying matches yet, maybe it's being dropped from Mania? I hope so, much prefere it in a PPV format.

• Paid Members
Im quite liking the Corre/Big Show feud i have to admit, i like the way they have held off the Big Show/Big Zeke confrontation just yet aswell.

A 8 man tag featuring the Corre against the Big Show/Kane, maybe Kofi as he has nothing to do, and someone like Nash would be a excellent opener for Mania in my opinion.

Not a hint of MITB qualifying matches yet, maybe it's being dropped from Mania? I hope so, much prefere it in a PPV format.

There's still 5 weeks to go mind. Maybe not MITB itself but I'd be surprised if there wasn't somekind of multi-man deal. I actually still expect to see a MITB match happen, at least for this year. It's become somewhat of a tradition now since 2005. I don't think having a match here and then a PPV later in the year will affect the buyrates down the line any more so than they are stagnant now.

• Paid Members

Kane turning again? Blimey. Kane/Show vs. Wade & Zeke wouldn't be bad. Looks like maybe Kane/Show/Santino/Kozlov vs. Corre at the moment though, which is also fine.

Christian bit at the end for the live crowd only? Or advertising his in-ring return next week?

Will only watch for the Corre angle and The Undertaker, not really interested in the rest.

Spoilers in more detail...

World Heavyweight Champion Edge is out first to open the show. He talks about his match at Wrestlemania XXVII against Alberto Del Rio and his problems with Vickie Guerrero but is interrupted by Drew McIntyre. Smackdown General Manager Teddy Long comes out and makes a match between the two after a small altercation.

* World Heavyweight Champion Edge b. Drew McIntyre after locking in the Sharpshooter.

* Rey Mysterio is attacked by "Dashing" Cody Rhodes and Cody officially challenges him to a match at Wrestlemania XXVII. They also showed the attack last week on Rey and Cody said he will expose Rey's face at Wrestlemania.

* Backstage, The Corre offer help to Kane in his match later tonight against Big Show.

* WWE Tag Team Champions Heath Slater & Justin Gabriel w/Ezekiel Jackson & Wade Barrett vs. Santino Marella & Vladimir Kozlov. Jackson and Barrett get on the apron and Wade ends up getting hit with Santino's Cobra. However, the distraction allows Slater to hit his finisher and get the three count.

* It's announced in a video that airs on the titantron that Christian will return to Smackdown next week.

* The Undertaker comes out and says "The Streak" cannot be broken and hypes his upcoming Wrestlemania XXVII match against Triple H. He entered and exited to "Ain't No Grave" by Johnny Cash.

* LayCool b. Beth Phoenix & Rosa Mendes. While the referee was distracted, Michelle McCool kicked Beth in the face which allowed Layla to get the pinfall victory.

* Big Show b. Kane when The Corre came to ringside and handed Kane a chair and he hit Big Show with it. Show pushes Justin Gabriel into Kane and Kane swings the chair at The Corre. The Corre retreats.

* Jack Swagger comes out and Michael Cole talks about his match against Jerry Lawler at Wrestlemania XXVII. Cole says he's going to announce his special guest referee on Raw and teases he is "flamboyant" and "awesome."

* Jack Swagger b. JTG via submission in the ankle lock. Very quick squash match. After the match, Michael Cole gets in the ring and celebrates with him.

* World Heavyweight Champion Edge defaces a portrait of Alberto Del Rio that was being worked on throughout the show as the contract signing for the World Heavyweight Championship match at Wrestlemania XXVII is up next.

* The contract signing is moderated by Teddy Long. Alberto Del Rio sang the Mexican National Anthem but was interrupted by World Heavyweight Champion Edge. Long asks for there to be no violence but Edge warns him it was about to get chaotic. Things break down and Teddy bails. Edge gets his nosed bloodied as Christian comes out and gets involved and the show goes off the air.

Christian bit at the end for the live crowd only? Or advertising his in-ring return next week?

- Christian returned to the ring after tonight's SmackDown tapings, teaming with Edge and Big Show to defeat Alberto Del Rio and The Corre in a dark main event.

Christian ended up getting the win on Del Rio by hitting Killswitch. Show chokeslammed Del Rio and Edge speared him to end the match. Christian spoke to the fans before ending the show.

from Lords Of Pain.

As for Mysterio potentially losing the mask again? What else can you really do with him? And in the context of the storyline, Mysterio busted whats most important to Rhodes (his face, apparently), so naturally, Rhodes would seek to take Rey's whats most important to Rey, that being his mask and the lineiage that goes along with that (assuming no-one mentions/remembers that he lost it in WCW)

As for Mysterio potentially losing the mask again? What else can you really do with him? And in the context of the storyline, Mysterio busted whats most important to Rhodes (his face, apparently), so naturally, Rhodes would seek to take Rey's whats most important to Rey, that being his mask and the lineiage that goes along with that.

I'd have Cody cut a promo next week, along the lines of: "Look, people have tried to rip Rey's mask off before. It's not happening. Therefore, once I beat him at WrestleMania, I will rip his pants off and expose his miniscule penis and badly-managed pubic hair!"

Well, it may have had potential in the Attitude era...

With Mistico signing I wonder if there is any possibility of unmasking Rey. It would help elevate Rhodes, give Rey a change of direction and provide a special wrestlemania moment.

They could then ply everything into the cashcow that will be Sin Cara.

It at least provides a little interest in an otherwise predictable match up.

With Mistico signing I wonder if there is any possibility of unmasking Rey. It would help elevate Rhodes, give Rey a change of direction and provide a special wrestlemania moment.

I was going to post pretty much that. It would certainly be a logical route to take. Rey will probably get the victory at 'Mania, only to be attacked by Cody and Dusty afterwards and have his mask pulled off.

I was going to post pretty much that. It would certainly be a logical route to take. Rey will probably get the victory at 'Mania, only to be attacked by Cody and Dusty afterwards and have his mask pulled off.

It'd be a massive gamble on the WWE's part to unmask Mysterio in the hope that Sin Cara will pick up where Rey left off as a masked merchandise machine. Sin Cara hasn't had a single match with the company and is thusfar a totally unknown quantity, Mysterio on the other hand is a guaranteed merch shifter. If I were Vince I'd wait and see how Sin Cara fares before spunking away guaranteed money with Mysterio.

• Paid Members

Taking the mask off of Mysterio would be a huge mistake. It's been said time and time again, but his masks and merchandise are practically a license to print money. It'd do more harm than good. If people want to see his face so badly, it's not hard to find on YouTube or Google. You could argue that he may as well already be unmasked, but again it's all about keeping him unique and taking advantage of that dollar dollar.

• Paid Members

I can see why they'd take the mask off him, though - at the moment, he's the only permanently masked wrestler in WWE, but when Sin Cara comes in, they'll want to be able to sell his masks almost straight away; there wouldn't be as much appeal if there's still the option to buy Rey masks, especially when you consider that the crowd have more invested in him. It needs, in essence, to be a "clean break".

Archived