SmackDown! results ***SPOILERS***

Mr.Showtime

There's no reason why they can't give Rey some time off for a while to give Sin Cara a chance to prove if he's worth keeping around. I'm sure they don't want a repeat of the Ultimo Dragon thing. I don't know what the issue was with Ultimo but they seemed to lose interest in pushing him pretty quickly.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I can see why they'd take the mask off him, though - at the moment, he's the only permanently masked wrestler in WWE, but when Sin Cara comes in, they'll want to be able to sell his masks almost straight away; there wouldn't be as much appeal if there's still the option to buy Rey masks, especially when you consider that the crowd have more invested in him. It needs, in essence, to be a "clean break".

There's no reason both couldn't draw from mask sales. Sin Cara should sell plenty of masks in Mexico right off the bat. I wouldn't take the mask off of Mysterio until he's on the verge of retirement, which according to an interview with him recently isn't likely anytime soon even despite his injuries. Sure, it'd make for an interesting change initially, but the mask is still a massive part of Rey's appeal. Rather than a clean break, I think it needs to be a smarter and more gradual process.

Theres no reason at all to take the mask off of Rey Mysterio, he sells too much merchandise to just stop it and make him into just another dull WWE clone. It's part of his image, it would be as bad money wise to the company as turning John Cena heel.

• Paid Members
Theres no reason at all to take the mask off of Rey Mysterio, he sells too much merchandise to just stop it and make him into just another dull WWE clone. It's part of his image, it would be as bad money wise to the company as turning John Cena heel.

My thoughts exactly. The only time to unmask him, if at all, would be right near the end of his career as a way of symbolically passing on the torch to Sin Cara.

• Paid Members
Theres no reason at all to take the mask off of Rey Mysterio, he sells too much merchandise to just stop it and make him into just another dull WWE clone.

It wouldn't even do that. Rey without his mask looks like a child. Taking the mask off him turns a marketable talent into Hornswoggle. Until the day he's ready to leave, it's a ludicrous idea.

Just watched this and have to say that it was yet another cracking episode of Smackdown. I thought that last week's had slightly less steam than the other episodes this year, but this week's resumed to firing on all cylinders.

I have to give extra credit to the contract signing segment, Alberto Del Rio came across as a fucking huge star once again. Teddy Long had me laughing at his remark about how there's never been a contract signing on Smackdown that hasn't ended in chaos, and then how he legs it out of the ring once he's made sure he's got both signatures!

Just watched this and have to say that it was yet another cracking episode of Smackdown. I thought that last week's had slightly less steam than the other episodes this year, but this week's resumed to firing on all cylinders.

I have to give extra credit to the contract signing segment, Alberto Del Rio came across as a fucking huge star once again. Teddy Long had me laughing at his remark about how there's never been a contract signing on Smackdown that hasn't ended in chaos, and then how he legs it out of the ring once he's made sure he's got both signatures!

Sounds great, thats my evening sorted. I'm really loving Smackdown at the moment, it's good to see they have finally turned the show around.

Sounds great, thats my evening sorted. I'm really loving Smackdown at the moment, it's good to see they have finally turned the show around.

:thumbsup:

For anyone who doesn't have Sky, it's in top quality here.

It's good enough quality to watch it in full screen mode which is always a bonus.

Agreed! It was a great episode, one of the best so far this year imo. I especially appreciated Michael Cole's dancing :laugh:

And thank God for a mention/ glimpse of Christian! As a massive E&C fan from back in the day, I was chuffed with their manly embrace as the end, though I doubt they'll be having any kind of reunion sometime soon. (I can always hope...)

I'm absoloutely loving the slightly twisted, high school jock gone mad feel to Cody's current character but I'm a bit puzzled as to where they could go with it. This is clearly much, much better stuff than going back to plain old Dashing Cody Rhodes but they can't go on with this forever, can they?

Agreed! It was a great episode, one of the best so far this year imo. I especially appreciated Michael Cole's dancing :laugh:

And thank God for a mention/ glimpse of Christian! As a massive E&C fan from back in the day, I was chuffed with their manly embrace as the end, though I doubt they'll be having any kind of reunion sometime soon. (I can always hope...)

Yeah, Cole was on top form once again - his character is one of the true highlights of programming each week. How this non-worker who's never had a match before is managing to talk his way into a match at 'Mania is a testament to his abilities; nobody's even batting an eyelid at him appearing in the ring on the card!

It was without doubt a top episode on the whole, maybe second only to the first Smackdown of the year which was superb. It's awesome to have both Smackdown and Raw putting out such a good product at the same time as each other, one usually seems to lack if the other one's doing well.

Yeah, I'm pleased to see that Christian is getting some attention! Though I'd be lying if I said that I'm his biggest fan, I do think he's an awesome performer and a joy to watch. I'm liking how intense he's looked both on this Smackdown and at the Chamber, so if he can keep up that level of intensity then it'd be nice to see him have a few months at the top of Smackdown's card through the summer season, perhaps taking over Edge's position feuding against Del Rio.

I think that WWE will unmask Rey soon especially with the fact that his contract is up son and he apprently doesn't intend to re-sign. Maybe it will be at Mania so then they can make the most of all the kids that love Rey buying the new Rey figures/T-Shirts etc.. before he heads off possibly back to Mexico if the rumours are true. It certainly would do Cody a lot of good to be the one who unmasks Rey imho.

I'm not too sure on the situation surrounding Rey's contract with WWE and how long's left on it, but what I do know is that he's recently said that he doesn't feel likes he's nearing his retirement which has me wondering whether he will go to Mexico and end out his career there.

Archived