Bank Card Cloning

Max Power

So I've just received the phone call everyone dreads.

Yorkshire Bank: - "Hello Mr Power, this is Nigel from Yorkshire Bank fraud squad. Can you confirm your name, DOB, measurements etc. Good. Well, I have a little bit of bad news for you...I don't like to make light of this, but did you take a trip to Argentina recently? No? I didn't think so. We have reason to believe that your debit card has been cloned.

• Paid Members
I've had my card blocked multiple times due to "suspicious purchases". Sadly, they were all mine :(

Is there not another way to pay for all the fetish sites, save you the embarrassment?

Someone had my card some how but they never took any money, it flagged up before anything left the account. They were trying to get petrol somewhere down south I believe

Yorkshire Bank: - "Hello Mr Power, this is Nigel from Yorkshire Bank fraud squad. Can you confirm your name, DOB, measurements etc. Good. Well, I have a little bit of bad news for you...I don't like to make light of this, but did you take a trip to Argentina recently? No? I didn't think so. We have reason to believe that your debit card has been cloned.

Yeah when I was travelling around Europe a few years back, one day I noticed I couldn't take money out, I thought I was fucked, a few hours later I got a phone call from the bank saying they had froze my account because of suspicious activity around Europe. Dicks, why didn't they phone me before freezing the account.

• Paid Members
I do feel your pain though, are debit cards actually protected from fraud? Always been told its just Credit Cards or special accounts that are covered.

Credit cards have a greater level of protection than debit cards : some will have 24 hour transaction monitoring, some will come with free purchase protection insurance where you might get the money back if you purchase from a company that goes bump. However all banks will reimburse you for money fraudulently taken from your account / if you're a victim of cloning.

If someone in the bank tells you that you aren't protected from cloning on the debit card but you are on the credit card, its because they are trying to sell you a credit card.

I've had my card blocked multiple times due to "suspicious purchases". Sadly, they were all mine :(

Same here. A hostel in Boston and a chocolate bar in Romford were two of my dalliances that caused my card to be declined.

I got asked for the first three letters of my postcode when buying this:

41p-Uw9FRoL.jpg

From Toys R Us the other day. I don't know of any shops using this postcode verification system and I'm pretty confident that the woman didn't enter it into anything. I wonder if she was cloning my card.

Had Barclays fraud line phone me several times last week. I ignored them thinking it would be some bollocks. Went to London on Saturday and tried to buy a tube ticket with my card - card declined by the cash point. Tried another also declined. Then spent 45 minutes in the cold and rain under a pub canopy holding on the phone to Barclays trying to get them to get my card sorted. They did and were very good. Shit myself though when I realised I was in London about to meet the other half to take her out with about

• Paid Members

Most frequent place to get your card cloned is petrol stations. Everyone I work with knows someone who has experienced this. Never use the cash point at a petrol station or pay by card, if you can get away with it. In fact, if you're wary of cloning at all, just cover your hand when you're putting your pin in at the machine. Cloning works when they record the information from the chip with a device attached the to the front of the machine (where your card goes in) and recording you putting your pin in with a pinhole camera affixed to the top. If they dont get your pin too, they won't bother cloning the card.

Archived