Bank Card Cloning

Max Power

I got asked for the first three letters of my postcode when buying this:

41p-Uw9FRoL.jpg

From Toys R Us the other day. I don't know of any shops using this postcode verification system and I'm pretty confident that the woman didn't enter it into anything. I wonder if she was cloning my card.

I had the same thought when I purchased something from there the other day. The woman told me it was for "marketing research". He went on the explain that they take all the postcodes and use it to work out where they can put the new stores.

I've had my card blocked multiple times due to "suspicious purchases". Sadly, they were all mine :(

Same here. A hostel in Boston and a chocolate bar in Romford were two of my dalliances that caused my card to be declined.

Mine was booking hotel rooms in Vegas and transferring money to my dad. Others including buying DVDs from ROH and booking

• Paid Members
So I've just received the phone call everyone dreads.

Yorkshire Bank: - "Hello Mr Power, this is Nigel from Yorkshire Bank fraud squad. Can you confirm your name, DOB, measurements etc. Good. Well, I have a little bit of bad news for you...I don't like to make light of this, but did you take a trip to Argentina recently? No? I didn't think so. We have reason to believe that your debit card has been cloned.

Yeah when I was travelling around Europe a few years back, one day I noticed I couldn't take money out, I thought I was fucked, a few hours later I got a phone call from the bank saying they had froze my account because of suspicious activity around Europe. Dicks, why didn't they phone me before freezing the account.

Just call your bank before you go away and ask them to put a note on your account. Sorted.

Yeah when I was travelling around Europe a few years back, one day I noticed I couldn't take money out, I thought I was fucked, a few hours later I got a phone call from the bank saying they had froze my account because of suspicious activity around Europe. Dicks, why didn't they phone me before freezing the account.

Just call your bank before you go away and ask them to put a note on your account. Sorted.

To be fair they do tell you to let them know when you're going abroad in advance. Of course they're going to think its been stolen if payments start cropping up from foreign countries.

Archived