The Welsh re:Mason Ryan

Dr House's Right Leg

• Paid Members

Nothing wrong with the Welsh fapping over him in my opinion, it's good to root for a fellow countryman or someone from your area and hoping they go on to do well. It's a bit excessive at times, granted, but I'm still for it.

Lots of comparison to Batista, and I think they could especially ring true with his in-ring performances. Dave was a bit green initially but he went on to really improve his game as time went on. He wasn't Bret or anything, but he went on to become perfectly serviceable and capable of good matches with a range of different people. Here's hoping Ryan goes on to do the same.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He even spoke a little bit of Welsh on Raw, which was a mark-out moment for me on par with Warrior's run-in at Wrestlemania 8 when I was 7.

The moment was quickly ruined when he translated it. I'd have just left them thinking he'd had some kind of seizure or was channeling a hissing cat.

Having read some of the prior comments here, this is hardly an injustice on the scale of Benoit and Jericho being announced as from the US sometime in the mid-2000s.

• Paid Members
Stratford upon Avon is famous as the birthplace of Shakespeare, which also made it fit Adams "Gentleman" gimmick.

Plus, of all places in the UK I've been to, I saw more American tourists in Stratford-Upon-Avon than anywhere else I've visited. The place was swarming with them, so I'd imagine the place is well known across the pond.

But yeah, Blackpool is rather surprising. And also Ayr for Drew McIntyre- they didn't go for the obvious Edinburgh or Glasgow.

The residents of the following places have expressed their disgust at having American Wrestlers associated with them:

- Kingston, Jamaica

- Truth or Consequences

- Parts Unknown

true story...

It's happened with just about every British wrestlers that's gone to the US. Davey Boy Smith was always billed as being from Manchester (and I think, Leeds for a while in the early 90s)

They'd announce him being from anywhere they fancied. I was watching Royal Rumble '92 promo clips last night and he was bragging about winning a battle royal in his hometown of London, England whilst talking like a retarded version of the kid from Kes.

I was always surprised they ever announced Regal as being from Blackpool. And they announced Chris Adams as being from Stratford Upon Avon? Just as surprising - I wouldn't think that many average Americans would've heard of the place. If anything, Rugby would've made more sense - the sport made it famous.

Billy Shakey's more famous than Gavin Henson in America.

Considering I heard about five different pronunciations of 'Wigan' on WWF TVwhen Davey Boy Smith was wrestling (including 'Wigans' and 'Manchester'), I think the residents of Gwynedd have dodged a bullet.

UFC fighters from Li-Chester dont fare much better

Stratford upon Avon is famous as the birthplace of Shakespeare, which also made it fit Adams "Gentleman" gimmick.

Plus, of all places in the UK I've been to, I saw more American tourists in Stratford-Upon-Avon than anywhere else I've visited. The place was swarming with them, so I'd imagine the place is well known across the pond.

But yeah, Blackpool is rather surprising. And also Ayr for Drew McIntyre- they didn't go for the obvious Edinburgh or Glasgow.

or Oban for the Highlanders

It's happened with just about every British wrestlers that's gone to the US. Davey Boy Smith was always billed as being from Manchester (and I think, Leeds for a while in the early 90s), when he's from Golbourne, as is Dynamte Kid.

Definitely he was announced from Leeds during his second run with the company.

They never could make their mind up with him. Still it beats being just "from Japan" which has to be one of the worst they've done.

William Regal is announced from Blackpool when he only lived there for a few years before he went to WCW.

But at least he lived there at some point, right? Maybe its just the fact I've moved around a few times over the years but "a few years" (four? five? six?) doesn't sound too bad to me. Its not like he was there for six months. As you (correctly) say a lot of guys from the U.S. let alone the UK are just announced as from the nearest big city so by wrestling standards that's pretty accurate.

William Regal is announced from Blackpool when he only lived there for a few years before he went to WCW.

Always annoyed me that one, especially as he's from just outside Wolverhampton in a place called Coven

See that makes me think maybe it was Regal's choice as much as WCW's. Hazzard pointed out it was only a few years and you mention those were his early teens so maybe he relates more to the years he spent there than wherever he lived before/after? I don't know, say you've lived three or four different places (which isn't that unsusual nowadays) you can only pick one and I don't think it has to be the one you were born.

Who doesn't have good memories of their teenage days? Jericho being announced as "born in Manhasset, New York" may have been technically accurate but I bet he probably relates to wherever in Canada he lived as a teenager better.

Quite a few American guys tend to be announced as being from smaller places - I'm pretty sure Battle Creek, Michigan (RVD) isn't all that big,

I have heard the Kellogs thing before but only after its being brought up regarding wrestling. I wouldn't have known it otherwise. So I'll admit I'd never heard of it outside of wrestling I presumed they let him keep it because it sounds like a wrestler hometown.

Martial arts expert who comes from "Battle Creek" works in the same way as the way Taz was always announced in ECW as "from the Red Hook Section of Brooklyn, New York". Or even stuff like Cactus Jack being billed as "from Truth or Consequences, New Jersey" (I know that's an example of someone who wasn't), Big Bossman was from "The Cobb County Department of Corrections".

I first heard of Truth or Consequences, Cobb County and Battle Creek through wrestling but even if you've never heard of them they all sound like the sort of places wrestlers should come from.

nor would Allentown, PA (Billy Kidman),

You remember Kidman over the Nasty Boys. :(

I'm a long way from being an expert on US culture (I'm sure there are plenty here who know much more/can give a better perspective on that) and I don't reakkkt know how well known Allentown is/isn't in the States but over here I do remember reading about gang violence there in the 90s (may well have changed since - I have no idea), plus the Billy Joel song about it being a depressed working class area.

IIRC they used to go on about similar stuff whenever WWF's media (magazines, sticker books, whatever) would write about the Nasty Boys. I presumed it was just short-hand for them saying "this guy is from a tough working class area". Whether that's an accurate portrayal of the place is less important but that was the perception. Or at least that's how it came across to me as a fan in the UK that it was a tough place to come from.

• Moderators
Can this be the official Mason Ryan thread so that the euphoria each week he manages to execute a basic move without tearing a quad doesn't fill up the Raw discussion.

I got to post two, and you were already a dour cunt. You're worse for being a miserable shithorse than me for my swearing lad.

Nothing wrong with the Welsh fapping over him in my opinion, it's good to root for a fellow countryman or someone from your area and hoping they go on to do well. It's a bit excessive at times, granted, but I'm still for it.

Exactly. No worse than Mark Sloan about Mark Haskins.

I honestly feel Mason Ryan can surpass Adrian Street. And that's a great thing.

• Paid Members

I always remembered them being announced as hailing from Nastyville. And even in that instance, I'd remember Chris Akabusi over the Nasties.

No worse, but a whole lot different, surely? I mean, Mark Sloan's promotion of Haskins is because he's his direct trainee/proteg

But at least he lived there at some point, right? Maybe its just the fact I've moved around a few times over the years but "a few years" (four? five? six?) doesn't sound too bad to me. Its not like he was there for six months. As you (correctly) say a lot of guys from the U.S. let alone the UK are just announced as from the nearest big city so by wrestling standards that's pretty accurate.

Always annoyed me that one, especially as he's from just outside Wolverhampton in a place called Coven

See that makes me think maybe it was Regal's choice as much as WCW's. Hazzard pointed out it was only a few years and you mention those were his early teens so maybe he relates more to the years he spent there than wherever he lived before/after? I don't know, say you've lived three or four different places (which isn't that unsusual nowadays) you can only pick one and I don't think it has to be the one you were born.

It was definitely Regal's choice. He's often said in interviews he considers Blackpool his home, and it was (and still is, I think) Blackpool he goes home to for Christmas.

• Moderators

I always remembered them being announced as hailing from Nastyville. And even in that instance, I'd remember Chris Akabusi over the Nasties.

No worse, but a whole lot different, surely? I mean, Mark Sloan's promotion of Haskins is because he's his direct trainee/proteg

Archived