The Welsh re:Mason Ryan

Dr House's Right Leg

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was always surprised they ever announced Regal as being from Blackpool. And they announced Chris Adams as being from Stratford Upon Avon? Just as surprising - I wouldn't think that many average Americans would've heard of the place. If anything, Rugby would've made more sense - the sport made it famous.

Billy Shakey's more famous than Gavin Henson in America.

Pah, shows what Americans know.

Quite a few American guys tend to be announced as being from smaller places - I'm pretty sure Battle Creek, Michigan (RVD) isn't all that big,

I have heard the Kellogs thing before but only after its being brought up regarding wrestling. I wouldn't have known it otherwise. So I'll admit I'd never heard of it outside of wrestling I presumed they let him keep it because it sounds like a wrestler hometown.

Martial arts expert who comes from "Battle Creek" works in the same way as the way Taz was always announced in ECW as "from the Red Hook Section of Brooklyn, New York". Or even stuff like Cactus Jack being billed as "from Truth or Consequences, New Jersey" (I know that's an example of someone who wasn't), Big Bossman was from "The Cobb County Department of Corrections".

I first heard of Truth or Consequences, Cobb County and Battle Creek through wrestling but even if you've never heard of them they all sound like the sort of places wrestlers should come from.

nor would Allentown, PA (Billy Kidman),

You remember Kidman over the Nasty Boys. :(

I always remembered them being announced as hailing from Nastyville. And even in that instance, I'd remember Chris Akabusi over the Nasties.

That as well, yeah - they were one of those acts that had more than one announced hometown over the years (like Public Enemy going from being from "Compton, CA" to "South Philly"). Seems The Nasties can't win at anything with you :(

Anyway Kidman's is just one of those guys I don't think of much, unless he's brought up by someone else. Whereas guys from The Nasty Boys era I could name almost all of their hometowns. It just seemed a big deal when we were kids in the eighties/early nineties to the extent it was either part of the wrestler's character or almost part of their character/something they got associated with, but from the late nineties to now I don't think I could name more than a handful of current guys billed hometowns.

The emphasis on hometowns just seems to be one of those things along with distinctive ring attire, etc. that seems to have fallen by the wayside during/after the Monday Night War. Blander outfits, blander hometowns, more generic sounding theme tunes, etc. just seemed to become more acceptable/the norm for new wrestlers debuting from about 1996 onwards. I'm sure there are some exceptions but when you compare them to people who broke into the business 1965-1995 in most cases it just didn't seem to be as big a part of the gimmick anymore.

It was definitely Regal's choice. He's often said in interviews he considers Blackpool his home, and it was (and still is, I think) Blackpool he goes home to for Christmas.

Thanks. I couldn't remember what Regal said about it but I suspected as much given that its not exactly London as far as name recognition with your average American. Thought he still had family there as well but the bit about him only living there a few years threw me off. Still even if that was the case it's easy for me to see why he'd relate to somewhere he lived as a teen.

I've lived six places over the last thirty year. More than some, not a lot compared to others but if WWE decided to bring me in as Kelly Kelly's next boyfriend or something and asked where they should announce me from (which is what I'd guessed WCW had done with Willy Regal) I reckon I'd choose somewhere I've lived post-15 as well rather than where I was born.

Am I not right in thinking that The Nasty Boys gave Allentown the nickname 'NastyVille' so they are one and the same?

That's the way I always interpreted it as well because even when they were announced as from there the promotion would still talk about them being from Allentown, PA on commentary, the magazines, sticker albums, event programmes, trading cards, and any/all other assorted media. I don't think they ever claimed 'NastyVille' was an actual place on the map as much as their nickname for their hometown (which admittedly in fairness could be anywhere if you didn't already know).

I always saw 'NastyVille' as more of a concept than a place - a bit like Badstreet, USA. It was more something they'd talk about in promos where they'd threaten to "Take you on a one way trip to NastyVille" or "Take you to Pity City". They weren't exactly talking about driving you to their hometown and offering to be your tour guides for a day out.

Lots of comparison to Batista, and I think they could especially ring true with his in-ring performances. Dave was a bit green initially but he went on to really improve his game as time went on. He wasn't Bret or anything, but he went on to become perfectly serviceable and capable of good matches with a range of different people. Here's hoping Ryan goes on to do the same.

I call him Welsh Batistia. Fuck what I'm supposed to call him :p

• Moderators
I'd say the Dudleys fighting out of "Dunkin Donuts, in the great state of obesity" is still king. Scott Steiner should be on announcing duties permanently after he retires.

"That suckhole country they call Canada" was another of Steiner's crowning achievements that night.

Billy Jack Haynes' run as Black Blood in 1991 gave us the superb hometown of "A Little Town in France".

I think its fairly rare for a wrestler to be announced as being from the place they are actually from these days.

As someone mentioned, at least he isnt being announced as "From the UK" or "From Wales".

My logic on deciding where I 'hail from' is that it is unlikley that the crowd will know a small town but they will know the county or nearest city. Plus its easier than having to explain it at every meet and greet and to potential bookers.

Question; Is it more appropriate to announce where you are from originally or where you currently live?

Archived