Post Of The Year 2011 Nominations

tiger_rick

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Following all the hilarious zings we have in this thread, I'd like to nominate this fantastic assessment of HBK.

I hated Shawn Michaels with a passion as a youth up until his first retirement as there was something about his persona I despised, and as a Bret Hart fan the rivalry/dislike between the pair caused me to want to HBK battered at every possible opportunity. I thought at the time that "the Hitman" was the better wrestler of the two and didnt deserve to be shunted to the side to allow the WWF to become all about Michaels and to a lesser extent Diesel, even though I admit to having known even then that he was one of the most talented and reliable performers between the ropes that you could possibly find.

Fast forward to the present day, and having seen large quantities of the body of work of most of the North American wrestlers thought to be among the "best of all time," which I hadn't during Shawn's "first" prime, I can honestly say I consider him to be the greatest American wrestler that ever stepped foot in a ring.

While Ric Flair or Bret Hart at their best could construct the best match you've ever seen, and I sometimes think I would take the single best Flair or Hart match over the single best match Shawn ever had, the sum of Shawn's total contribution in terms of in ring action stands alone. He is the only wrestler that has main evented WrestleMania before, during and after the Attitude Era, and has contested stirring matches with all the top stars of each era he competed in. His durability in terms of a sustained main event career could have come close to Flairs had he stayed active the whole time, he was the man trusted with the first televised ladder match, 60 minute match on WWF TV, Hell In A Cell and one of the participants in the first Elimination Chamber... "ain't nobody crazy enough to this gig... except the Heartbreak Kid."

In simplest terms, I consider that Michaels had the biggest number of outstanding (readily available to view) matches across a sustained length of time with a wide variety of opponents in an unbelievably varied different type of matches with different stories told, even compared to Flair. I balked when I saw that WWE's "50 greatest Superstars ever" had neither Flair nor Hogan in the top 5, but with Shawn as number 1, I could not fault. And as a Bret Hart fanatic, that's hard for me to type.

Yes, I believe Shawn Michaels was the best in-ring performer we have ever seen.

• Awards Moderator

I'll also second air_raid's HBK post. Meanwhile, from 'off topic comments that don't warrant a thread'. What can I say, I like puns.

Some blokes have just been in to our work for training, two of whom were Eastern European. One of them, whose name was Vaida, pointed outside at one of the big transits and wanted to know what is was used for but in broken English it just came out 'What is that?'.

I nearly fell over myself to say 'It's a big van, Vaida' and then looked around for recognition of my shit pun. There's wasn't a sodding flicker.

Why can't you lot work here? :(

• Paid Members
This one's rather marvellous from gmoney.

Whats the best way of doing a background check on someone?

While you're talking to them, just sort of move your eyes in the direction of the scenery behind them.

Seconded. Really made me laugh. Top work.

• Paid Members
This one's rather marvellous from gmoney.

Whats the best way of doing a background check on someone?

While you're talking to them, just sort of move your eyes in the direction of the scenery behind them.

Seconded. Really made me laugh. Top work.

Add a third for that one from me. :thumbsup:

Archived